format lines - a feature I would pay for...

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Discussions
cheapguy Junior Member • Posts: 43
format lines - a feature I would pay for...

I would love to have format lines in the viewfinder.  By this I mean that I would like to see 4x5 or 4x6 formats, etc. to help my composition.  If it could be programmable to any format or aspect ratio it would be ideal.  I used to mark off the format lines on a clear piece of plastic and drop it onto the waistlevel viewfinder on Hasselblads and this always made composition easier and I was able to confidently fill the frame.

What do you think?

Can anyone make Nikon add this feature on their cameras?

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 12,918
Re: format lines - a feature I would pay for...

cheapguy wrote:

I would love to have format lines in the viewfinder. By this I mean that I would like to see 4x5 or 4x6 formats, etc. to help my composition. If it could be programmable to any format or aspect ratio it would be ideal. I used to mark off the format lines on a clear piece of plastic and drop it onto the waistlevel viewfinder on Hasselblads and this always made composition easier and I was able to confidently fill the frame.

What do you think?

Can anyone make Nikon add this feature on their cameras?

Don't worry. When Nikon eventually go mirrorless then you'll get your WYSIWYG view, showing the format as it will be captured.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 2,407

Just buy a new focussing screen , from makers like Katz Eye or similar , and replace the one in your camera .

I know the screens in Pentax DSLRs can be changed ( in fact Pentax offer a choice of screens with different markings ) , so I imagine Nikon probably can too .

Edit - here's the link

http://katzeyeoptics.com

-- hide signature --

With kind regards

Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +46 more
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,583
With a little practice, you won't need them. . .

Eventually, you will be able to 'see' them without any artificial assistance.  I wouldn't pay anything extra for something like that

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
rurikw Senior Member • Posts: 1,663

Some cameras not only show the format but do the cropping as well. 1:1, 4:3, 3:2, not sure about 5:4.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +26 more
joejack951 Senior Member • Posts: 2,682

rurikw wrote:

Some cameras not only show the format but do the cropping as well. 1:1, 4:3, 3:2, not sure about 5:4.

Nikon's DSLRs will darken the edges of the viewfinder to show the various crop modes, including 5:4. As far as I know though, the 5:4 crop mode is only available on the D3, D3S, D3X, D4, and D800. Any Nikon full frame DSLR (including D700, D600, and D610) can shoot in 1.5X crop mode. The D800 and D4 add a 1.2X crop mode while the new D7100 has a 1.3X crop mode.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
OP cheapguy Junior Member • Posts: 43

Thanks all for your responses.

Happy holidays.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads