In honor of the future of photography, camera phones....

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Discussions
Ontario Gone
Ontario Gone Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183
In honor of the future of photography, camera phones....

I admit, i have been a bit quick to judge. I also admit it is due to the fear of my current style of gear fading into oblivion as it is replaced with far superior cameras linked to social media. Hey, im man enough to come clean, and part of the reason is i have been witness to the massive flood of high quality photography coming out of todays phones.

One genre in particular has caught my attention, selfies. Richard and gang, i salute thee. Please feel free to browse or add your own images you may find worthy of memory from around the web.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: In honor of the future of photography, camera phones....

LOL, some classics there, lovely quality too!!

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
ISO_800
ISO_800 Regular Member • Posts: 288

Quick, I need bleach for my eyes!

Ontario Gone
OP Ontario Gone Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183

The social media craze has spread beyond smart phones.

Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
hdr Senior Member • Posts: 2,841

The Selfie Revolution is upon is upon us.

Camera makers, put the tiltable LCD screens in quick, or risk losing out. Not forgetting wif-fi and the app too.

-- hide signature --

Depth haz been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough, but still, few are bothered with 3D :-
http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,053
Richard is right!

Richard is right, for most people the phone camera is more than good enough. In these situations, it would have been even better not to have a camera at all.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 500D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +12 more
Erick L Senior Member • Posts: 1,143

-- hide signature --

Erick - www.borealphoto.com

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,576
Re: Richard is right!

Klaus dk wrote:

Richard is right, for most people the phone camera is more than good enough. In these situations, it would have been even better not to have a camera at all.

In these situations, it would have been even better not to have a camera at all.

AMEN!!

BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Ontario Gone
OP Ontario Gone Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183

ROFL

larrytusaz Senior Member • Posts: 2,500
Phone Selfies Are the Chef-Boyardee of Italian Food

Lots of casual snapshooters do selfies, heck I myself may even do one on occasion with my wife while eating out etc, but it's hardly something to trumpet as the "future of photography." Heck, on our recent wedding anniversary, I took some pride in the occasion and took some shots of the two of us using my Sony NEX-F3 and 50mm 1.8 OSS mounted on a tripod.

Or, if fussing with a 50mm prime & blurring the background shooting at f/2.2 and editing in Lightroom 4 is too much work for a self shot, how about a "woop-dee-doo" Nikon J1 kit mounted on a tripod & fired by remote control and shot at f/7.1 with the kit lens and straight from the camera?

Now THAT is more like it, even the second one. Show some decency, at least on such occasions anyway. Neither are all time greats, especially the second one, but either--even the second--are sure a whole lot better than the typical "selfies" you see.

Smartphone selfies have about as much in common with "photography" as Chef Boyardee does with genuine authentic Italian food. It's hardly something deserving of any sort of exhibit or such. It's just silly and extremely poor quality shots of a person by that person, nothing more. There's nothing wrong with that if you're in a hurry, have no photography aspirations or equipment etc, but there's also nothing wrong with taking some actual pride in your photos & at least TRYING.

-- hide signature --

LRH

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Dave Hanson
Dave Hanson Regular Member • Posts: 381

Best selfie in the history of ever!

Erick L wrote:

Dave Hanson's gear list:Dave Hanson's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +6 more
Jack Hass Regular Member • Posts: 392
Re: Phone Selfies Are the Chef-Boyardee of Italian Food

Wonderful shots, i think it's the tree that added that extra pop there. Here's another nice one.

Re: Phone Selfies Are the Chef-Boyardee of Italian Food

Ok i admit, this one had me laughing for a good while, guilty as i felt....

AlphaTikal
AlphaTikal Senior Member • Posts: 2,160
Do you have permission?

Did you ask the people to republish their photos? If not and I bet you did not, these should be deleted right now.
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Samsung Galaxy S7 edge +11 more
Re: Do you have permission?

AlphaTikal wrote:

Did you ask the people to republish their photos? If not and I bet you did not, these should be deleted right now.

LOL dude shut your trap. If i need permission (which i don't bc im not making money) then i guess the websites i got them from, and all the people who have DL from those websites, need permission too. Go bluff somebody who is dumb enough to fall for it.

EDIT: did you really think Dave got permission from NASA to put the mars rover shot up? You make me laugh.

AAAAAAAAAAAnd another lovely shot, proving the superior technique of phone users, not to mention the amazing performance of these little dynamos.

crashpc Veteran Member • Posts: 6,711

Give it(smartphone) to the monkeys and see what happens! Is there really some difference? And you havn´t seen what I can do with toilet paper!

But.... Even in wildest thoughts and dreams, I´d not present this online, and pushing it as "best what you can do"... This how it sounds to me: Hello, I´m very retarded....

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads