Concerned ...

Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions
stefanik Regular Member • Posts: 131
Concerned ...

Hy all,

accordingly to this rumor:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/19/nikon-rumors-what-to-expect-in-the-next-two-months.aspx/#more-68014

it is possible that the next V3 won't be sold in europe.

OK it's a rumor, and i hope it's wrong, but if it were true???

Thereby? Can i buy i product only sold in a different country?

And the warranty?

bye

myzel Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
Re: Concerned ...

stefanik wrote:

Hy all,

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/19/nikon-rumors-what-to-expect-in-the-next-two-months.aspx/#more-68014

It's possible that a asteroid destroys all life on earth in the next few months.

It's a rumor based on the fact that Canon released the Canon EOS M2 only in Asia. The last time I checked Nikon isn't Canon.

Same as with the asteroid hitting Europe within the next few weeks  - just ignore it as you can't do anything about it.

Just wait, maybe Nikon doesn't make the same mistake as Canon.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
OP stefanik Regular Member • Posts: 131

myzel wrote:

stefanik wrote:

Hy all,

It's possible that a asteroid destroys all life on earth in the next few months.

It's a rumor based on the fact that Canon released the Canon EOS M2 only in Asia. The last time I checked Nikon isn't Canon.

Same as with the asteroid hitting Europe within the next few weeks - just ignore it as you can't do anything about it.

Just wait, maybe Nikon doesn't make the same mistake as Canon.

... OK is in the probabilistic world, but i have the same doubts (what can i do, and the warranty) ...

bye

Vlasty Senior Member • Posts: 1,832

CES will be the first indicator, but we won' really know 100% till CP+. I am in Japan and the Official Nikon 1 Facebook page still updates regularly, intact just now. https://www.facebook.com/nikon1.nij

I am not to concerned about it disappearing as a system here in Japan. But has been stated in other places we just don't know yet. I hope the best for Europe and the US.

Vlasty's gear list:Vlasty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +19 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Senior Member • Posts: 8,742
Nikon 1 way better than Canon EOSM

I would not be too worried.

The Nikon 1 series has sold way better than the Canon EOSM cameras and its a far superior range of cameras and lenses - IMHO

The 1 series are now fairly well established across the world and it would be very foolish of Nikon to shoot themselves in the foot by restricting new models..... although stranger things have happened... 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Apple Aperture Apple iPhone SE
SunnyFlorida Contributing Member • Posts: 831
Re: Nikon 1 way better than Canon EOSM

Sonyshine wrote:

I would not be too worried.

The Nikon 1 series has sold way better than the Canon EOSM cameras and its a far superior range of cameras and lenses - IMHO

It has sold at a loss, $299 V1 kits (66% off original price) multiplied by millions sold, Nikon has been drowning in red with the 1-series.

The 1 series are now fairly well established across the world and it would be very foolish of Nikon to shoot themselves in the foot by restricting new models..... although stranger things have happened...

Sonyshine

I agree - but it has sold and many of those owners will go and buy lenses and want to upgrade when the time comes....

samfan Senior Member • Posts: 1,003

There will be grey importers ready to sell you a camera with a warranty, wherever you live.

That said, it'd be really odd for Nikon not to sell its MILC. Wasn't J1 the best selling MILC in at least UK (which would imply it wasn't exactly unpopular at least in EU) even with original price and doesn't Nikon have the biggest or second biggest market share in MILC?

Well let's wait and see, right.

SunnyFlorida wrote:

It has sold at a loss, $299 V1 kits (66% off original price) multiplied by millions sold, Nikon has been drowning in red with the 1-series.

Do we know for sure it was sold at a loss? While the cameras are well made, their internal design is extremely simple and it's all assembled in China. Of course Nikon apparently produced several times as many as they had any hopes of selling at a normal price, but they had that issue with DSLRs of last 2 generations too. D3000 just disappeared from local stores last month.

SunnyFlorida Contributing Member • Posts: 831

Sonyshine wrote:

I agree - but it has sold and many of those owners will go and buy lenses and want to upgrade when the time comes....

The system only really needs 3 more lenses a portrait lens, a micro and a long telephoto. people who need these lenses have been using the Ft-1 with a 40mm micro ($250) a 70-300VR ($350) and a 85mm F/1.8 G ($450). If Nikon introduces those 3 lenses and prices them at ridiculous levels like the 30mm F/1.2, they're not going to sell, people will keep using the FX or DX equivalent , especially since they work on 2 other sensor sizes which long term future is not in question.

samfan wrote:

There will be grey importers ready to sell you a camera with a warranty, wherever you live.

good news ... i thought was not possible (local law, customs duty etc ....)

That said, it'd be really odd for Nikon not to sell its MILC. Wasn't J1 the best selling MILC in at least UK (which would imply it wasn't exactly unpopular at least in EU) even with original price and doesn't Nikon have the biggest or second biggest market share in MILC?

Well let's wait and see, right.

SunnyFlorida wrote:

Do we know for sure it was sold at a loss?

I think no ...

While the cameras are well made, their internal design is extremely simple and it's all assembled in China. Of course Nikon apparently produced several times as many as they had any hopes of selling at a normal price, but they had that issue with DSLRs of last 2 generations too. D3000 just disappeared from local stores last month.

bye

Sonyshine

SunnyFlorida wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

The system only really needs 3 more lenses a portrait lens, a micro and a long telephoto. people who need these lenses have been using the Ft-1 with a 40mm micro ($250) a 70-300VR ($350) and a 85mm F/1.8 G ($450). If Nikon introduces those 3 lenses and prices them at ridiculous levels like the 30mm F/1.2, they're not going to sell, people will keep using the FX or DX equivalent , especially since they work on 2 other sensor sizes which long term future is not in question.

I agree again! I might have to fork out for the 40mm macro, I have got the 18.5 coming soon so that will cover portraits (for me anyway.)

SunnyFlorida wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

I agree with you.

The success of the "1" system is in stuff like the 18.5:

light, sharp fast and cheap, what else?

The 2.7x is a limit as is (ex for who are DOF/ISO maniac or pixel peepers).

Why to add some extra limit (expensive lens, no controls etc...)?

bye

mlewan Senior Member • Posts: 1,343

Yes, you can buy things that are only sold in another country, but it may be difficult unless you physically go there. Japanese mail order sites are very Japan specific, and I never managed to buy anything via mail from Japan - not that I tried that hard.

When it comes to warranty, the last I heard (when in Japan) was that there is no warranty outside Japan for products bought in Japan. For other countries it may be different. If you for example buy a Nikon camera in Germany, I'm pretty sure that the warranty is valid in France.

My own recommendation, if the V3 turns out interesting and it only is available over there, is to take a pleasant holiday in Japan. Enjoy the views, the food, the museums and the baths, and pop into a shop and buy a V3 as a souvenir. People like Akihabara for electronics, but there are plenty of places all over Japan where one can buy excellent electronics. However, it is not necessarily as cheap as one might imagine.

sixtieshatter Regular Member • Posts: 101

"It has sold at a loss, $299 V1 kits (66% off original price) multiplied by millions sold, Nikon has been drowning in red with the 1-series."(SunnyFlorida)

What is your source for this (mis?)information!

-- hide signature --

Frank

sixtieshatter's gear list:sixtieshatter's gear list
Nikon 1 V3
Dr Wu Forum Member • Posts: 75

Personally, I think the OP is right to be concerned. Nikon has explicitly indicated it is re-thinking the 1 series which has led to much speculation as to what that might mean exactly. As some have noted in other threads, Nikon 1 cameras, lenses and accessories appear to becoming harder to find and/or there appears to be a growing sense that retailers are administering stock very carefully. Nikon (and Canon) were slowest to enter the mirrorless marketplace, so is it necessarily surprising that they may now pick-and-choose where product is distributed, especially in light of, for example, the North American reaction to the 1 system?  It seems clear that demand for mirrorless product does vary by region so I think restricted distribution of any V3 model is a distinct possibility.  But I hope I'm wrong.

MoBokeh New Member • Posts: 13

I too think the OP should be concerned. I own a V1 with the 10-30 and 30-110mm lenses, and was on the verge of purchasing the the 18.5 prime and wide angle zoom when Nikon announced their "rethinking" of the 1 series.

This announcement caused me to "rethink" my 1 series ownership. I decided to keep my V1 and 2 lenses(got them at the greatly reduced prices about a year ago), but not add anything more.

In fact, with the purchase of a Lumix G6, I have just migrated to MFT and am very happy. Though not quite as small as my V1, there's a lot to like........excellent selection of native lenses(from both Olympus and Panasonic--a big plus), articulating screen, very good ergonomics, lots of easily customized function buttons(so I can actually set the camera up to suit myself), flexible AEB bracketing(if there were ever cameras that cried out for AEB, it's the V1 and V2....and I'm not talking about the in camera AEB on the V2), silent electronic shutter(like my V1) and focus peaking.

The G6 is a middle of the road camera for Panasonic. Both the GH3 and GX-7 are above it, but unlike Nikon and Canon, they haven't crippled the feature set to protect the higher end models. This is one of my biggest gripes with Nikon, and a major part of my decision to go in another direction.

If Nikon continues down the same path they're currently on, I fear they soon won't have much left to protect.

MattZisk Contributing Member • Posts: 636

I am not very concerned in view of the release of the AW1 in the US and EU.  Others may differ on this (and I would be curious for alternate views) but the AW1 strikes me as more of a niche model (and is high-priced, to boot) than any of the other N1 models.  If Nikon were going to limit its reach into the US and EU, the AW1 strikes me as a place to have started.

Vlasty Senior Member • Posts: 1,832

Panasonic makes a great camera. It was on my shortlist when I was shopping for mirror less. It's almost there in my book. My biggest gripes with it at the time was the slower shutter speed, and its FPS 2 years ago, and lack of dedicated GPS options. I am not a fan of the m4/3rds aspect ratio but could have dealt with it by cropping. I am not a fan of cropping at all but understand the necessity of it at times.

Vlasty's gear list:Vlasty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +19 more
scottyinfrisco Contributing Member • Posts: 683

Right,?!?  Typically, the retailer has about 40 points in this stuff.  I would assume Nikon has at least that, so the drowning in red math doesn't work.

scottyinfrisco's gear list:scottyinfrisco's gear list
Fujifilm X10 FinePix S1 Fujifilm X70 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +16 more
WCguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,032

MoBokeh wrote:

I too think the OP should be concerned. I own a V1 with the 10-30 and 30-110mm lenses, and was on the verge of purchasing the the 18.5 prime and wide angle zoom when Nikon announced their "rethinking" of the 1 series.

This announcement caused me to "rethink" my 1 series ownership. I decided to keep my V1 and 2 lenses(got them at the greatly reduced prices about a year ago), but not add anything more.

In fact, with the purchase of a Lumix G6, I have just migrated to MFT and am very happy. Though not quite as small as my V1, there's a lot to like........excellent selection of native lenses(from both Olympus and Panasonic--a big plus), articulating screen, very good ergonomics, lots of easily customized function buttons(so I can actually set the camera up to suit myself), flexible AEB bracketing(if there were ever cameras that cried out for AEB, it's the V1 and V2....and I'm not talking about the in camera AEB on the V2), silent electronic shutter(like my V1) and focus peaking.

The G6 is a middle of the road camera for Panasonic. Both the GH3 and GX-7 are above it, but unlike Nikon and Canon, they haven't crippled the feature set to protect the higher end models. This is one of my biggest gripes with Nikon, and a major part of my decision to go in another direction.

If Nikon continues down the same path they're currently on, I fear they soon won't have much left to protect.

Did you ever think that maybe Nikon put some decent lenses out there for the N1 system to see how well they would sell and if everyone felt the same way and not bought any, Nikon might just move away from the N1 system , in North America at least. I personally bought into their new lenses in hope they will continue to improve the system.Waiting one or two more months isn't going to make a difference to me, I have many cameras to use while I wait. Now saying that, if nothing happens at these next two shows, I will make a decision whether or not to keep what I have  or buy into another system. The V1 still works for me, I had it from the very beginning (at the original price). One never knows what is going to come out next year , everything is moving very fast in the digital world, is anyone ever happy or satisfied with what they have for more than a few months anymore.  WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V3 +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads