D7100 and SB-910 wobble issue

Started Dec 18, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Ceridan Regular Member • Posts: 315
D7100 and SB-910 wobble issue

Hi!

I'v received Nikon SB-910 speedlight and I'v already found one small issue - the flash does not sit tightly on the D7100, but wobbles (moves) slightly. SB-700 does not have this issue. Although I don't see any imminent trouble associated with this, it make me feel uneasy.

Should I return the unit as defective? Or is there anything I can do to address the issue? I know there is a water protector, but it is rather costly and also I don't feel like attaching it along with the flash all the time.

Thanks for your opinions.

 Ceridan's gear list:Ceridan's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon D40 +3 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 23,575
Re: D7100 and SB-910 wobble issue

Well, you have eliminated my first guess, splayed camera mount. Is the flash new? I would return it.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

 Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +27 more
Ceridan OP Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: D7100 and SB-910 wobble issue

Yep, the samera is like two weeks old and the flash is brand new.

Thanks

 Ceridan's gear list:Ceridan's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon D40 +3 more
chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,316
Mine does it to and I suppose everybody else's too

Ceridan wrote:

Hi!

I'v received Nikon SB-910 speedlight and I'v already found one small issue - the flash does not sit tightly on the D7100, but wobbles (moves) slightly. SB-700 does not have this issue. Although I don't see any imminent trouble associated with this, it make me feel uneasy.

Should I return the unit as defective? Or is there anything I can do to address the issue? I know there is a water protector, but it is rather costly and also I don't feel like attaching it along with the flash all the time.

Thanks for your opinions.

I have been using my SB910 for about a year on D90, D7100 and P7700 and until now I have never noticed it or worried about it, so I tried it also with D200 and it wobbles in all of them. It even wobbles in the enclosed plastic table stand / tripod screw reduction. Obviously, the hoof on the flash is a bit narrower than the rail. Wobbling settles down a bit after locking.

Actually, I think it is on purpose - to make mounting and unmounting easier. I can imagine that if it sat more tightly, it could be a problem for somebody to fit it. And since it has a lock and the wobbling has no effect on function and it doesn't have to be like lens mount tight for operation, there you go. Unlike the plastic rail cover, which sits really tightly and it has to, having no lock. Try to remove it with a bit wet or greasy fingers and freshly cut short nails. I remember removing it from P7700 was quite a pain.

 chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 23,575
Re: Mine does it to and I suppose everybody else's too

Ah ha. I assumed it was locked!

chary zp wrote:

Ceridan wrote:

Hi!

I'v received Nikon SB-910 speedlight and I'v already found one small issue - the flash does not sit tightly on the D7100, but wobbles (moves) slightly. SB-700 does not have this issue. Although I don't see any imminent trouble associated with this, it make me feel uneasy.

Should I return the unit as defective? Or is there anything I can do to address the issue? I know there is a water protector, but it is rather costly and also I don't feel like attaching it along with the flash all the time.

Thanks for your opinions.

I have been using my SB910 for about a year on D90, D7100 and P7700 and until now I have never noticed it or worried about it, so I tried it also with D200 and it wobbles in all of them. It even wobbles in the enclosed plastic table stand / tripod screw reduction. Obviously, the hoof on the flash is a bit narrower than the rail. Wobbling settles down a bit after locking.

Actually, I think it is on purpose - to make mounting and unmounting easier. I can imagine that if it sat more tightly, it could be a problem for somebody to fit it. And since it has a lock and the wobbling has no effect on function and it doesn't have to be like lens mount tight for operation, there you go. Unlike the plastic rail cover, which sits really tightly and it has to, having no lock. Try to remove it with a bit wet or greasy fingers and freshly cut short nails. I remember removing it from P7700 was quite a pain.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

 Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +27 more
Ceridan OP Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Mine does it to and I suppose everybody else's too

Of course my SB-910 is locked It wobbles despite the lock.

Steve Bingham wrote:

Ah ha. I assumed it was locked!

chary zp wrote:

Ceridan wrote:

Hi!

I'v received Nikon SB-910 speedlight and I'v already found one small issue - the flash does not sit tightly on the D7100, but wobbles (moves) slightly. SB-700 does not have this issue. Although I don't see any imminent trouble associated with this, it make me feel uneasy.

Should I return the unit as defective? Or is there anything I can do to address the issue? I know there is a water protector, but it is rather costly and also I don't feel like attaching it along with the flash all the time.

Thanks for your opinions.

I have been using my SB910 for about a year on D90, D7100 and P7700 and until now I have never noticed it or worried about it, so I tried it also with D200 and it wobbles in all of them. It even wobbles in the enclosed plastic table stand / tripod screw reduction. Obviously, the hoof on the flash is a bit narrower than the rail. Wobbling settles down a bit after locking.

Actually, I think it is on purpose - to make mounting and unmounting easier. I can imagine that if it sat more tightly, it could be a problem for somebody to fit it. And since it has a lock and the wobbling has no effect on function and it doesn't have to be like lens mount tight for operation, there you go. Unlike the plastic rail cover, which sits really tightly and it has to, having no lock. Try to remove it with a bit wet or greasy fingers and freshly cut short nails. I remember removing it from P7700 was quite a pain.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

 Ceridan's gear list:Ceridan's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon D40 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads