Will you use RX10 to shoot tennis at night?

Started Dec 18, 2013 | Discussions
Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757
Will you use RX10 to shoot tennis at night?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
eyedo Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Re: Will you use RX10 to shoot tennis at night?

Wow,amazing how far these smaller cameras have come.Nice work!

Aquaroid
Aquaroid Senior Member • Posts: 2,597

An amazing result! It would not occur to me to use a camera of that class for this kind of job, BUT it performed so well - I'm (as I said) amazed!!!

Great camera!!!

-- hide signature --

dpr://galleries/489967037/photos/687959
By the rules I can't point out that my camera has an R letter in its name and the number ONE, but, hell, we all must obey the rules...

Aquaroid's gear list:Aquaroid's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm
Donald Chin
OP Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757

I won't say RX10 is on par with high end MFT like OM-D E-M1 + Panasonic 12~35/2.8 & 35~100/2.8 but definitely it holds up pretty well against those in much cheaper price, smaller size and lighter weight. I'm more optimistic about the future of 1" & 135FF format than MFT & APS-C.

aaanouel
aaanouel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,107
Nice test!

You and the camera did quite a good job! an additional good reference to RX10.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Jogger
Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441

Great results from a small cam. I have to say though, that the images scream compact/digital.. certainly better to have the cam than nothing, but, no replacing a larger sensor camera.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Kchrpm Regular Member • Posts: 250

Wow, nicely done, quite impressive.  I wonder how well it would do at a baseball game...

No! Must resist! The HX20 is enough! *fights the urge*

Kchrpm's gear list:Kchrpm's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,119

Jogger wrote:

Great results from a small cam. I have to say though, that the images scream compact/digital.. certainly better to have the cam than nothing, but, no replacing a larger sensor camera.

Why do you say this? I'm sure about from the DOF if some careful op was done these could be pretty indistinguishable from anything up to APSC.

Jogger
Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441

Dheorl wrote:

Jogger wrote:

Why do you say this? I'm sure about from the DOF if some careful op was done these could be pretty indistinguishable from anything up to APSC.

Its not even the DOF.. its the flatness of the image, colours, etc. The images just dont pop. To be fair, for action/sports, i typically use FF with 2.8 teles.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Donald Chin

Jogger wrote:

Certainly, FF DSLR is still the king for sports, and nothing going to change in near future. However as a journalist cam RX10 is capable IMO.

Donald Chin

Kchrpm wrote:

Wow, nicely done, quite impressive. I wonder how well it would do at a baseball game...

No! Must resist! The HX20 is enough! *fights the urge*

I usually use a 200~400/4 for baseball so RX10 is on the short side, but I should give it a try later.

Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,119

Jogger wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

Jogger wrote:

Its not even the DOF.. its the flatness of the image, colours, etc. The images just dont pop. To be fair, for action/sports, i typically use FF with 2.8 teles.

And you're not able to get that "pop" with post processing?

fsw Senior Member • Posts: 2,882

I have an A77 and an A65 with moderate and fast lenses, and your images really tempt me to try the RX10. Nice work. It looks like a really fun, capable camera. Your skills do it the justice it deserves.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads