A7r + la-ea2: (minimal) vignetting and macro samples

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions
S3ZAi
S3ZAi Contributing Member • Posts: 885
A7r + la-ea2: (minimal) vignetting and macro samples

Not sure if anyone has shown this combo already, but I don't remember seeing any examples and when I tried it myself I was totally surprised that there is minimal vignetting. With 36 pixels, cropping away a bit at the edges will not hurt at all, also, I did this test with a macro lens and with macro I do crop most of the time anyway.

Here is the wide open view , lens is minolta 50mm 2.8, wide open it really is minimal.

minolta 50mm macro af 2.8 with la-ea2 wide open

Of course stopping down will make it worse bit by bit, but when shooting portraits I would shoot wide open or close to there anyway.

At F22 it still is doable, vignetting is quite worse there though. But still, F22 is only required/possible in extreme situations. For example with macro to get as much dof as possible, taking the hit from difraction in exchange.

Here is an example I just shot in very low light. Original:

minolta 50mm macro af 2.8 with la-ea2 at f22, magnification at 1:1

I had another example where the middle of the orchid was better centered, but I had missed focus with that one and I don't feel like doing it again, so just a crop as an example, could be nicer when flower was centered though:

same photo as above, cropped away vigentting.

I have just added some clarity and did a little wb tuning, other than that, no sharpening or photoshopping.

This is the flower in its full glory (never mind the dirty window in the background):

Same lens same flowers, non macro shot.

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
S3ZAi
OP S3ZAi Contributing Member • Posts: 885
Re: A7r + la-ea2: (minimal) vignetting and macro samples

After having a pot of tea, did it over anyway, a new shot, cropped and resampled to 3000mp wide:

At iso 640 and cropped, it still looks perfect I'd say.

abortabort Senior Member • Posts: 1,734

Seems pretty similar to the LA-EA1 without the baffles removed. Wonder how the LA-EA2 would go with the baffles removed (are there any)? It was a 10 second exercise to remove them from the LA-EA1 and basically gives me a spare LA-EA3 if I don't want the light loss of the LA-EA4 (it does give a very very very tiny amount of vignette at the sides, but barely noticeable).

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Leica M8 Nikon D700 +54 more
S3ZAi
OP S3ZAi Contributing Member • Posts: 885

abortabort wrote:

Seems pretty similar to the LA-EA1 without the baffles removed. Wonder how the LA-EA2 would go with the baffles removed (are there any)? It was a 10 second exercise to remove them from the LA-EA1 and basically gives me a spare LA-EA3 if I don't want the light loss of the LA-EA4 (it does give a very very very tiny amount of vignette at the sides, but barely noticeable).

Well, the weird thing is, I do remember a thread about the la-ea2 and removing the baffle, but no threads about using the la-ea2 as is.

Seeing my own results now, I think I don't need to take the risk, it will be limited by the size of the mirror anyway, so I will just use it like it is.

I am actually not planning to do macros with it, as I have a few manual ff macro lenses anyway, but I think I can use my 90mm 2.8 sigma lens as a perfect portrait lens with la-ea2 and a7r. If I shoot wide open to have nice bokeh, which the sigma has, the vignetting will be minimal as demonstrated in the first shot above. The sigma 90mm is a very rare and very nice lens, this is a shot from last year with nex7:

This is at 5.6, at 2.8 it has even smoother bokeh, but I can't find any examples.

I just hate it that I don't have the time right now to test everything I would like to test. Lol, I was thinking about taking some leave from work just so I can do some testing and shooting with my a7r.

Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,318

It's interesting to see that the older lenses can still perform very well. If I were getting these results I would be tempted to cough up for the LA-EA4.

PS - removing the baffle on the LA-EA2 doesn't seem such an easy job compared to performing this on the Sigma lenses & may involve using a file ? 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads