A7r + la-ea2: (minimal) vignetting and macro samples

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions
S3ZAi
S3ZAi Contributing Member • Posts: 885
A7r + la-ea2: (minimal) vignetting and macro samples

Not sure if anyone has shown this combo already, but I don't remember seeing any examples and when I tried it myself I was totally surprised that there is minimal vignetting. With 36 pixels, cropping away a bit at the edges will not hurt at all, also, I did this test with a macro lens and with macro I do crop most of the time anyway.

Here is the wide open view , lens is minolta 50mm 2.8, wide open it really is minimal.

minolta 50mm macro af 2.8 with la-ea2 wide open

Of course stopping down will make it worse bit by bit, but when shooting portraits I would shoot wide open or close to there anyway.

At F22 it still is doable, vignetting is quite worse there though. But still, F22 is only required/possible in extreme situations. For example with macro to get as much dof as possible, taking the hit from difraction in exchange.

Here is an example I just shot in very low light. Original:

minolta 50mm macro af 2.8 with la-ea2 at f22, magnification at 1:1

I had another example where the middle of the orchid was better centered, but I had missed focus with that one and I don't feel like doing it again, so just a crop as an example, could be nicer when flower was centered though:

same photo as above, cropped away vigentting.

I have just added some clarity and did a little wb tuning, other than that, no sharpening or photoshopping.

This is the flower in its full glory (never mind the dirty window in the background):

Same lens same flowers, non macro shot.

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
S3ZAi
OP S3ZAi Contributing Member • Posts: 885
Re: A7r + la-ea2: (minimal) vignetting and macro samples

After having a pot of tea, did it over anyway, a new shot, cropped and resampled to 3000mp wide:

At iso 640 and cropped, it still looks perfect I'd say.

abortabort Senior Member • Posts: 1,734

Seems pretty similar to the LA-EA1 without the baffles removed. Wonder how the LA-EA2 would go with the baffles removed (are there any)? It was a 10 second exercise to remove them from the LA-EA1 and basically gives me a spare LA-EA3 if I don't want the light loss of the LA-EA4 (it does give a very very very tiny amount of vignette at the sides, but barely noticeable).

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Leica M8 Nikon D700 +54 more
S3ZAi
OP S3ZAi Contributing Member • Posts: 885

abortabort wrote:

Seems pretty similar to the LA-EA1 without the baffles removed. Wonder how the LA-EA2 would go with the baffles removed (are there any)? It was a 10 second exercise to remove them from the LA-EA1 and basically gives me a spare LA-EA3 if I don't want the light loss of the LA-EA4 (it does give a very very very tiny amount of vignette at the sides, but barely noticeable).

Well, the weird thing is, I do remember a thread about the la-ea2 and removing the baffle, but no threads about using the la-ea2 as is.

Seeing my own results now, I think I don't need to take the risk, it will be limited by the size of the mirror anyway, so I will just use it like it is.

I am actually not planning to do macros with it, as I have a few manual ff macro lenses anyway, but I think I can use my 90mm 2.8 sigma lens as a perfect portrait lens with la-ea2 and a7r. If I shoot wide open to have nice bokeh, which the sigma has, the vignetting will be minimal as demonstrated in the first shot above. The sigma 90mm is a very rare and very nice lens, this is a shot from last year with nex7:

This is at 5.6, at 2.8 it has even smoother bokeh, but I can't find any examples.

I just hate it that I don't have the time right now to test everything I would like to test. Lol, I was thinking about taking some leave from work just so I can do some testing and shooting with my a7r.

Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,300

It's interesting to see that the older lenses can still perform very well. If I were getting these results I would be tempted to cough up for the LA-EA4.

PS - removing the baffle on the LA-EA2 doesn't seem such an easy job compared to performing this on the Sigma lenses & may involve using a file ? 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads