Would you buy a lens from 6Ave on Amazon.com?

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Willie Regular Member • Posts: 230
Would you buy a lens from 6Ave on Amazon.com?

6Ave is selling the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens for $1669 through Amazon.com.  Would you buy a lens from them?

kithg
kithg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,218
Re: Would you buy a lens from 6Ave on Amazon.com?

Gray market or USA lens? It would depend on who is guaranteeing the warrantee.

-- hide signature --
 kithg's gear list:kithg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,019

With B&H I know what I am getting, USA versus Import, and if I have a problem with the lens I have 30 days to return it for a full refund. I also trust Berger Bros. and Adorama and Samys and Roberts. The rest are not places where I would risk my money for a lens.

Cope
Cope Veteran Member • Posts: 6,328

calson wrote:

With B&H I know what I am getting, USA versus Import, and if I have a problem with the lens I have 30 days to return it for a full refund. I also trust Berger Bros. and Adorama and Samys and Roberts. The rest are not places where I would risk my money for a lens.

I have purchased many Nikon items from J&R.  They are an official Nikon dealer.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
Snapshott Senior Member • Posts: 2,197

calson wrote:

I will also add Hunt's to that list. I resently met they guys at a Nature Photography expo and they have given grate service on the three orders I've placed with them since. My last order was for a camera bag and I was asking if he thought a list of equipments would fit in the bag. His response was let me go and test fit that equipment in the bag and I'll call you back. 15 minutes later he called back with the answer. He also was happy to try a second bag and called back with and answer and a sales price. Needless to say I purchased the bag.

Oh yea, a day later I got a personal email from the manager asking how my experience was.

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
TKT New Member • Posts: 1

Absolutely not. Bought an expensive lens. Things did not work out. Returned the lens and faced a huge restock fee not mentioned by anything I saw. Limited customer service hours for discussing the matter. I will not buy anything from them ever.

TKT's gear list:TKT's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 IR
DNSJR Regular Member • Posts: 309

I have looked several of their cameras & lenses, and sent them questions about the items, i.e. grey market. They never responded

DNSJR's gear list:DNSJR's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
Virtual Photon Contributing Member • Posts: 535

Willie wrote:

6Ave is selling the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens for $1669 through Amazon.com. Would you buy a lens from them?

um . . . Over 1200 reviews and only 1 out of 10 stars:

http://resellerratings.com/store/Sixth_Avenue_Electronics_6th_Ave

I wouldn't.

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
joet718 Contributing Member • Posts: 532

Willie wrote:

6Ave is selling the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 lens for $1669 through Amazon.com. Would you buy a lens from them?

I would trust Crutchfield as well.....great customer service too

-- hide signature --

Nikon D750, SB-600, Nikon 24-120 F4, Nikon 70-200 VRII, Nikon 60mm 2.8 AF-S macro
Olympus C5060
Panasonic ZS25

joet718's gear list:joet718's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
rcower Senior Member • Posts: 1,318

Willie wrote:

No, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from that place. They have a rating of 1 out of 10 stars on resellerratings. I didn't write the one review they have, but dealing with them is a PIA.

henryp
henryp Veteran Member • Posts: 6,073

Cope wrote:

I have purchased many Nikon items from J&R. They are an official Nikon dealer.

I believe J&R has been out of business for several years. They are not in the list of Authorized Nikon USA Dealers as of 02/01/2017.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
tyyreaun Contributing Member • Posts: 520

I wonder if people realize the original post was from 2013...

Regardless, if you're buying from someone selling on Amazon you SHOULD be relatively safe.  If you have any issues with the item and the seller doesn't make good just file an A-to-Z claim. At the very least Amazon will make you whole - you won't be charged restocking fees, etc.  I had an A-to-Z claim a while ago where the seller wasn't responding at all, where Amazon refunded me the money AND I got to keep the item.

Of course that assumes you can tell if there's something wrong with the lens.  If there's some internal damage or other non-obvious problems you might not find out until after the return period ends.  Buyer beware.

Generally, though, I don't recommend buying lenses on Amazon when you can get the same item from B&H or Adorama at the same price.  The main difference is that Amazon tends to do a shoddy job packing lenses compared to B&H.  Moreover, even though Amazon has a great return policy, there are anecdotes online of people getting banned from shopping on Amazon if they've returned a lot of expensive items.  If you're picky with lenses and return "bad" copies that aren't technically defective, you risk running afoul of Amazon's unpublished return limits.

All else held equal, you might as well buy from the company that specializes in lenses and photography gear.

tyyreaun's gear list:tyyreaun's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Canon G9 X Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
DNSJR Regular Member • Posts: 309

I have never a problem with either B&H or Adorama, great service

DNSJR's gear list:DNSJR's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
Sandeep Kumar Regular Member • Posts: 168

I have bought multiple times from the following with no issues at all:

1) B&H

2) Adorama

3) Amazon

4) Used - from Michigan Camera on Amazon

Have refrained from buying from other resellers on Amazon, fair dealing, good customer service and ability to return a defective product (they do turn up bad at times, not resellers fault) are very important criteria which all of the above turn out to be excellent in.

Sandeep Kumar's gear list:Sandeep Kumar's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +7 more
Jimusny
Jimusny Contributing Member • Posts: 958

Old post but will add my list

Ritz taken over by scammers no way!

6th AVE no way! whether on Amazon or not

42nd street I think is shaky too

lost of bad places out there

For good ones I have dealt with, with no pressure to buy anything else and no calls to try

Besides B&H and Adorama

Crutchfield, authorized dealer, a 60 day return policy, no restock fee and they pay return shipping

Newegg, 30 day return policy and  they pay return shipping

BuyDIg and Beach Camera, which i think are same people Authorized dealers, no issue on returns not sure if they pay return, when  I have bought from them on newegg market place the one time I had to return and  Newegg paid return shipping

Jimusny's gear list:Jimusny's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads