Help requested: Is this any better than teleconverters?

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions
Vikas Rana
Vikas Rana Contributing Member • Posts: 916
Help requested: Is this any better than teleconverters?

First I want to clear that I've a good enough knowledge of standard/telephoto zoom lenses, teleconverters, apertures, ISO and other photography stuff.

Its my 1st time I saw 2.2x telephoto elements from polaroid which can be used in front of a lens like a filter. I think this could be an alternate for teleconverters. I am actually thinking to use this on my Sony 55-300 SAM (62mm filter diameter) with the help of a step conversion ring from 62mm to 72mm to avoid any vignetting.

We loose light and IQ after using teleconverters but I think polaroid is a better performer. Please correct me if I'm going on wrong direction.

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Trafford
Trafford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255
Re: Help requested: Is this any better than teleconverters?

Vikas Rana wrote:

First I want to clear that I've a good enough knowledge of standard/telephoto zoom lenses, teleconverters, apertures, ISO and other photography stuff.

Its my 1st time I saw 2.2x telephoto elements from polaroid which can be used in front of a lens like a filter. I think this could be an alternate for teleconverters. I am actually thinking to use this on my Sony 55-300 SAM (62mm filter diameter) with the help of a step conversion ring from 62mm to 72mm to avoid any vignetting.

We loose light and IQ after using teleconverters but I think polaroid is a better performer. Please correct me if I'm going on wrong direction.

Vikas, did you scroll down and see the one review from a customer, he did not like it.

Giklab Contributing Member • Posts: 684

The upside of these is that you don't loose light if the rear element of the TC is large enough. The downside is that 'front-loader' TCs are meant for camcorders and compact cameras, and might not be of high enough IQ for DSLRs.

If you do get it, be sure to post samples, I'm looking at these as well.

Vikas Rana
OP Vikas Rana Contributing Member • Posts: 916

Trafford wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

Vikas, did you scroll down and see the one review from a customer, he did not like it.

Yes and that is why I said using a 72mm polaroid on a 62mm filter thread with the help of step conversion ring

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads