J3 compatible with ML-L3 or not

Started Dec 17, 2013 | User reviews
Phoebe Lee New Member • Posts: 3
J3 compatible with ML-L3 or not

Dpreview says this camera compatible with ML-L3 INFRARED remote, however NIKON website does not say this camera compatible with ML-L3. Hope someone confirm this for me. Many thanks with your help.

Nikon 1 J3
14 megapixels • 3 screen • 1″ sensor
Announced: Jan 8, 2013
Phoebe Lee's score
Average community score
JanMatthys Contributing Member • Posts: 697
Re: J3 compatible with ML-L3 or not

It is not, you have to buy the wu-1b adapter and then use your cel phone to control it

D300SandV1shooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,238

JanMatthys wrote:

It is not, you have to buy the wu-1b adapter and then use your cel phone to control it

I don't have a J3, but I do suspect that poor Phoebe, having filed her one and only question as a review, might have waited 8 months for the wrong answer? The ML-L3 is a tiny remote control for operating the shutter via line-of-sight infrared, nothing fancy: were they really dumb enough to reduce the IR ports on the J3 to zero?

Esquilo Contributing Member • Posts: 515

If there is a IR-port on the J3, I can't bloody find it! I intended to set up my J3 for aerial photography under a hexacopter and don't have any other way of triggering it than a radio controlled IR-diod. I guess that I have to buy another camera. Any suggestion for a light camera with a fast wide-angel prime that can be triggerd by IR? The Coolpix A?

Esquilo's gear list:Esquilo's gear list
Nikon 1 J3 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads