Price Drop ($672) for GR but not Coolpix A

Started Dec 16, 2013 | Discussions
Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Price Drop ($672) for GR but not Coolpix A

I must say, I am genuinely surprised to see the price of the Ricoh GR continuing to fall (currently at $672 on Amazon) while the $1,099 price of the Nikon Coolpix A remains the same.  The Ricoh is closing in on HALF the price of the Nikon!

I simply love my GR.  It is a wonderful tool for taking pictures with no obvious flaws and no replacement in sight.  I wonder, then, why the price continues to go down.  Could it be Ricoh's complete lack of marketing?  Their complete lack of brand recognition in the US?  And what to make of the fact that Nikon's price remains unmoved?  Remarkable.

shadowhumper
shadowhumper Regular Member • Posts: 292
Re: Price Drop ($672) for GR but not Coolpix A

I must say, I am genuinely surprised to see the price of the Ricoh GR continuing to fall (currently at $672 on Amazon) while the $1,099 price of the Nikon Coolpix A remains the same.  The Ricoh is closing in on HALF the price of the Nikon!

I simply love my GR.  It is a wonderful tool for taking pictures with no obvious flaws and no replacement in sight.  I wonder, then, why the price continues to go down.  Could it be Ricoh's complete lack of marketing?  Their complete lack of brand recognition in the US?  And what to make of the fact that Nikon's price remains unmoved?  Remarkable.

Can be all of those and the fact that ricoh might be coming out with a new version and they are trying to burn stock. Or isn't selling well. Or they are trying to dominate the segment by price.

I wouldn't give it much thought unless you bought it for the investment. Enjoy your little camera dude.

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,215

Red5TX wrote:

I must say, I am genuinely surprised to see the price of the Ricoh GR continuing to fall (currently at $672 on Amazon) while the $1,099 price of the Nikon Coolpix A remains the same. The Ricoh is closing in on HALF the price of the Nikon!

I simply love my GR. It is a wonderful tool for taking pictures with no obvious flaws and no replacement in sight. I wonder, then, why the price continues to go down. Could it be Ricoh's complete lack of marketing? Their complete lack of brand recognition in the US? And what to make of the fact that Nikon's price remains unmoved? Remarkable.

Ricoh no doubt want to sell a lot of GR cameras.  From day one they showed that they were not going to take any "nonsense" from Nikon on their patch.  Nikon on the other hand were simply "trying it on" and never expected to sell many Nikon A cameras.  Therefore they have no incentive to cut price. Small volume and first time costs of development requires big margins and Nikon most probably would take a bath on the Nikon A should they have to discount it (Ricoh probably knows this and are simply painting the Nikon A into a corner).  Happily Ricoh is selling more (apparently) have always had a reasonable market for this type of cameras, the basic development costs have been amortised over 10 years or more, and can afford a discount to maintain their pre-judged monthly sales targets.

Ricoh watchers have long since noted the build scheduling of what Ricoh markets.  Traditionally the GRD/GR? scheduling seems to have been about four years per model.  With a brushed over half model in-between a the two year interval.  Obviously to meet their sales targets a certain monthly quantity to be sold and presumably Ricoh must do this in one form by making special  deals to on-sellers for bulk purchases to keep the sales moving.  It is hardly a run-out sale but more a prudent marketing policy to keep up the momentum.  I don't know how many cameras of  "a type" Ricoh expects to make and sell but some time ago a per batch of 200,000 was mentioned.  Correct or otherwise it is still a lot of cameras out there for a company without brand recognition.

Hopefully Ricoh will re-engage the market with a revitalised GXR soon enough.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Red5TX
OP Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586

shadowhumper wrote:

I wouldn't give it much thought unless you bought it for the investment. Enjoy your little camera dude.

Good advice!  I also think of the opportunities I would have missed had I not had my GR these past months.  They make it well worth the premium.  It's a fine little camera.  All meat.  No fat.

technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

Red5TX wrote:

I must say, I am genuinely surprised to see the price of the Ricoh GR continuing to fall (currently at $672 on Amazon) while the $1,099 price of the Nikon Coolpix A remains the same. The Ricoh is closing in on HALF the price of the Nikon!

I simply love my GR. It is a wonderful tool for taking pictures with no obvious flaws and no replacement in sight. I wonder, then, why the price continues to go down. Could it be Ricoh's complete lack of marketing? Their complete lack of brand recognition in the US? And what to make of the fact that Nikon's price remains unmoved? Remarkable.

In my area (Netherlands) the prices for these two cameras have been close from the moment both were available. The GR just went down to about EUR 650 at a few dealers (others are still selling at EUR 800 or so, the introductory price from end of September).

The Coolpix A was introduced here for EUR 1100, quickly went lower when the GR became available and the price has been around EUR 700 from October (lowest price, EUR 800 or so is more common price for camera shops).

I'm still not seeing any shops that have the GR wide converter here, and the amount of accessories available is usually very small; it's probably selling in small numbers.

Eugene232
Eugene232 Regular Member • Posts: 364

is any reason to buy Nikon A over GR?

even they are in the same price

-- hide signature --
 Eugene232's gear list:Eugene232's gear list
Zeiss ZX1
Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
Pentax always slashes prices for the holiday season.

….and ricoh has been running promotions (the 12 days of christmas) all month. This may be as simple as broader access to discount for a popular product, (previous discounts have been either ricoh store or with pentax&bh photo).

I came across this sale earlier in the day and immediately thought it was a reaction to ricohs 12 day sale. The next one comes on the 17th, I bet it will be the gr.

coody
coody Senior Member • Posts: 2,020
That's because Nikon A color is better than GR thoug GR is sharper.

The GR is sharper but its color is not bright.

abluesky
abluesky Contributing Member • Posts: 592
Re: That's because Nikon A color is better than GR thoug GR is sharper.

coody wrote:

Better is a matter of opinion.

abluesky's gear list:abluesky's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,755
Rumour is ...

.. that the GR's drop down in price is to make place for a more evolved mirrorless cousin in the early 2014. (Something like X100s or X2).

Which makes the GR deal even yummier.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

abluesky
abluesky Contributing Member • Posts: 592
Re: Rumour is ...

I can't wait.

abluesky's gear list:abluesky's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
Archiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,618
Re: That's because Nikon A color is better than GR thoug GR is sharper.

coody wrote:

Colour isn't bright at all. No.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/11400186896/

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Eugene232 wrote:

is any reason to buy Nikon A over GR?

even they are in the same price

I don't have either of them (but will possibly buy a GR), but the Nikon seems to be a bit easier when it comes to color output, and in some areas service for Ricoh might be a problem. Both are really good cameras, it's more a matter of taste (and ergonomics which is also quite personal).

P.S.: maybe price drop is more related to other competitors like Panasonic GM1?

Although these cameras are very different especially in ergonomics, they both offer high quality WA images in a very small package. The GM1 has some important advantages (lens mount, zoom range, video) despite similar price level.

Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,926
Who is this seller, Electronics Basket?

Is there a warranty?

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

ranway Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: Rumour is ...

More details about this rumour?

telemach Regular Member • Posts: 479
reason to buy new one now

I was watching market for more than a month and these are my observations :

before Black Friday running price was 786-796 USD however Negri and some foreign Ebay shop had this lowered to 700-701 in November

Black Friday - Adorama lowered to 696 (100 rebate) + free 32 GB card but before sundown price was back to 796

Cyber Monday - nothing happened

yesterday many stores online lowered price below 700 USD mark so did Adorama where I placed my order; Why Adorama ? because for 696 you get camera+32 GB card+limited edition red leather strap&red ring; upon registering I also got VIP package with 30 GB lifetime cloud storage

thanks to user Hibiki Rush for posting his story I also bought New Leaf PLUS - 3 Year Digital Camera Service Plan with Accidental Damage Coverage (for Drops & Spills) for Product's Retailing up to $1000.00; it's 45 bucks but consider that Ricoh warranty is only 12 months and doesn't cover broken LCD; I know I can get some deal with credit card but I live in Europe and this new Leaf warranty is advertised with worldwide coverage

I assume in January price might drop to 650 but now is good time to buy new one; you can always hunt for used but I doubt there will be many for 600

-- hide signature --

F717, HX1, HX100V proud owner
looking for adapter to use filters on HX1 or HX100V/HX200V ???
visit my site : http://www.hxhphoto.com

TitusXIII
TitusXIII Regular Member • Posts: 449
 TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
JohnSL New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Who is this seller, Electronics Basket?

I ordered one on Monday, should be arriving today, will let you know. After using the x100 (which I have enjoyed) for a year or so, the idea of a truly pocketable APS-c camera with a slightly wider angle and snap focusing is delicious.

JohnSL's gear list:JohnSL's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973
Nikon dropped the Coolpix A's other shoe.

Red5TX wrote:

The cost of a new Coolpix A may not have dropped, but Nikon is now supplying refurbished A's for just $789.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012071-REF/nikon_26423b_coolpix_a_digital_camera.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads