War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
purpleray Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight
2

Hi

I have been saving up my Em1 photos for LR 5.3 but gave up.

Some photos of the Yoko Ono retrospective - War is Over, if you want it.  At the MCA just opposite the Opera House in Sydney.

Play it by trust

Conceptual Objects

Vertical Memory

Morning Beams+ Cleaning Piece - Riverbed

Doors and Sky puddles

Endangered Species

Just a couple more in the reply

cheers

Ray

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
purpleray OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

Windows

Corner Painting

Corner Painting 2

If you want to see more http://raywinglun.zenfolio.com/p500526654

Cheers

Ray

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Senior Member • Posts: 2,945
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

purpleray wrote:

Windows

Corner Painting

Corner Painting 2

If you want to see more http://raywinglun.zenfolio.com/p500526654

Cheers

Ray

Last image, shutter shock? honestly, I think the GX7 does better in low light than em-5 and em-1

Stu 5 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,277
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

purpleray wrote:

Hi

I have been saving up my Em1 photos for LR 5.3 but gave up.

Some photos of the Yoko Ono retrospective - War is Over, if you want it. At the MCA just opposite the Opera House in Sydney.

Play it by trust

Conceptual Objects

Vertical Memory

Morning Beams+ Cleaning Piece - Riverbed

Doors and Sky puddles

Endangered Species

Just a couple more in the reply

cheers

Ray

Adobe must have been reading this and decided to wind you up by releasing Lightroom 5.3!

Also now have vivid, natural, portrait and muted settings for Olympus cameras at long last.

cainn24 Senior Member • Posts: 4,890
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

Someone is probably going to take issue with me saying this, but here goes anyway:

Why would you title your thread with "EM1" (one of the top m43 bodies), "12-40" (one of the top m43 zoom lenses) and "lowlight" (one of the most challenging shooting circumstances), as if you were about to present a surprisingly excellent showcasing of IQ, and then post really low resolution images instead?

They are nice images though.

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Senior Member • Posts: 2,945
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

cainn24 wrote:

Someone is probably going to take issue with me saying this, but here goes anyway:

Why would you title your thread with "EM1" (one of the top m43 bodies), "12-40" (one of the top m43 zoom lenses) and "lowlight" (one of the most challenging shooting circumstances), as if you were about to present a surprisingly excellent showcasing of IQ, and then post really low resolution images instead?

They are nice images though.

The one with shutter shock-wobble!

tt321 Senior Member • Posts: 7,567
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

Advent1sam wrote:

purpleray wrote:

Windows

Corner Painting

Corner Painting 2

If you want to see more http://raywinglun.zenfolio.com/p500526654

Cheers

Ray

Last image, shutter shock? honestly, I think the GX7 does better in low light than em-5 and em-1

No shutter shock cannot produce that. He probably turned off the IS and shook his hands. I like it better than the sharp one as the second person was a distraction.

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Senior Member • Posts: 2,945
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

tt321 wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

purpleray wrote:

Windows

Corner Painting

Corner Painting 2

If you want to see more http://raywinglun.zenfolio.com/p500526654

Cheers

Ray

Last image, shutter shock? honestly, I think the GX7 does better in low light than em-5 and em-1

No shutter shock cannot produce that. He probably turned off the IS and shook his hands. I like it better than the sharp one as the second person was a distraction.

Oh, I see, it was deliberate! hmm, if you say so, I was joking about shutter shock, but I.S doesnt seem very effective then? In any event its a blurred image and am not sure it was meant!

purpleray OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight
1

Advent1sam wrote:

purpleray wrote:

Windows

Corner Painting

Corner Painting 2

If you want to see more http://raywinglun.zenfolio.com/p500526654

Cheers

Ray

Last image, shutter shock? honestly, I think the GX7 does better in low light than em-5 and em-1

Shutter shock - it seems a bit stronger than that.  The reality is I wanted to get the girl isolated from the crowd and snatched to capture that moment at 1/15.  I liked the result.

Low light - I haven't done enough to know the capability of the Em1 and I've never seen a GX7.  I use LR because I want to spend the minimum effort on PP.  In terms of noise, I tend not to do anything unless it's obvious.  If it looks bad exported as a jpeg, I go back and fix those - probably what I did with most of these.

Cheers

Ray

purpleray OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

Stu 5 wrote:

purpleray wrote:

Hi

I have been saving up my Em1 photos for LR 5.3 but gave up.

Some photos of the Yoko Ono retrospective - War is Over, if you want it. At the MCA just opposite the Opera House in Sydney.

Play it by trust

Conceptual Objects

Vertical Memory

Morning Beams+ Cleaning Piece - Riverbed

Doors and Sky puddles

Endangered Species

Just a couple more in the reply

cheers

Ray

Adobe must have been reading this and decided to wind you up by releasing Lightroom 5.3!

Also now have vivid, natural, portrait and muted settings for Olympus cameras at long last.

Stu

just getting used to the extras in LR 5 now.  Downloading LR5.3 now.

Cheers

Ray

RealPancho
RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,305
Expectation….

….is the ruination of many, many experiences.

cainn24 wrote:

Someone is probably going to take issue with me saying this, but here goes anyway:

Yes, me, but rather gently, I hope.

Why would you title your thread with "EM1" (one of the top m43 bodies), "12-40" (one of the top m43 zoom lenses) and "lowlight" (one of the most challenging shooting circumstances), as if you were about to present a surprisingly excellent showcasing of IQ, and then post really low resolution images instead?

I think he was simply identifying the equipment, saving us the (tiny bit of) trouble of stopping to look at the EXIF.

They are nice images though.

I especially like the second.

-- hide signature --

Frank

 RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
purpleray OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight
1

cainn24 wrote:

Someone is probably going to take issue with me saying this, but here goes anyway:

Why would you title your thread with "EM1" (one of the top m43 bodies), "12-40" (one of the top m43 zoom lenses) and "lowlight" (one of the most challenging shooting circumstances), as if you were about to present a surprisingly excellent showcasing of IQ, and then post really low resolution images instead?

They are nice images though.

Pretty much the whole shoot was iso1600+.

I post them the biggest size that uploads easily from Zenfolio and fits DPR pages.  My experience is DPR images are never good enough for the more discernible viewers (read 'pixel peepers!!!). They will go to Zenfolio.

Excellent IQ? - I suppose my aim has always been about making it easier to go out and enjoy taking photos -  to get the balance for best results (IQ & composition) with compact equipment (no FF) and minimum PP (LR not PS). I suppose what I show reflects what I can do with that ethic -something a lot of us have done in choosing a small sensor and a fast but not exact PP software like LR.

Glad there was something in those shots you liked.

Cheers

Ray

Russ Houston
Russ Houston Veteran Member • Posts: 6,372
Re: Expectation….
1

RealPancho wrote:

I especially like the second.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Yeah, for some reason I keep going back to that one as well.

-- hide signature --
 Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
purpleray OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: Expectation….
1

RealPancho wrote:

….is the ruination of many, many experiences.

cainn24 wrote:

Someone is probably going to take issue with me saying this, but here goes anyway:

Yes, me, but rather gently, I hope.

Why would you title your thread with "EM1" (one of the top m43 bodies), "12-40" (one of the top m43 zoom lenses) and "lowlight" (one of the most challenging shooting circumstances), as if you were about to present a surprisingly excellent showcasing of IQ, and then post really low resolution images instead?

I think he was simply identifying the equipment, saving us the (tiny bit of) trouble of stopping to look at the EXIF.

They are nice images though.

I especially like the second.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Frank

I'm glad you liked them.  I'm always more interested in people's interaction with art than capturing the art itself.  Yoko Ono's emphasis on interaction made it easier here.  The spontaneous joy here portrayed graphically by those legs - wow!

Cheers

Ray

purpleray OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: Expectation….

Russ Houston wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

I especially like the second.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Yeah, for some reason I keep going back to that one as well.

-- hide signature --

Russ

If you've looked that closely, you should be able to tell me whether should I go back and apply NR to those legs?

Cheers

Ray

baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,029
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

Harumph. Harumph. ISO 1600 is child's play for M43 ever since the EM5 came out.

Enjoyed a peek at the Yoko  exhibit. I'm surprised the gallery allowed you to use the camera. Were those chess pieces sitting on a blank table in the zenfolio pix  or just a lack of contrast/DR?

Summer in Sydney. Must be great.

 baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
purpleray OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

baxters wrote:

Harumph. Harumph. ISO 1600 is child's play for M43 ever since the EM5 came out.

Enjoyed a peek at the Yoko exhibit. I'm surprised the gallery allowed you to use the camera. Were those chess pieces sitting on a blank table in the zenfolio pix or just a lack of contrast/DR?

Summer in Sydney. Must be great.

ISO1600 is not the whole issue.  It is whether the shadows are prominent because of detail or composition that draws your eyes to them.  Then you ask yourself is that shadow?, grain?, or noise?  Depending on my mood and the composition, I think different things.

White pieces on an all white chess board. The squares are finely engraved and just perceptible at 200%.  I think the overhead light means no shadow to show the lines.

The first 2 months of spring brought record heat and bushfires. November was relatively cold and wet.   Summer is just beginning to heat up now.  Sydney's 20 odd ocean beaches and many harbour beaches will be suitably packed. I'm heading for some old rainforest next week where I'll be covered by towering forest and be relatively cool.  There wont be too many others there.

We wont have a white Christmas.  I hope you do.

Cheers

ray

savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 1,248
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

An interesting series-

Wow the lady in number two has Fabulous legs! Great shot-

Monty

 savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +4 more
murfthesurf Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Re: Expectation….

purpleray wrote:

Russ Houston wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

I especially like the second.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Yeah, for some reason I keep going back to that one as well.

-- hide signature --

Russ

If you've looked that closely, you should be able to tell me whether should I go back and apply NR to those legs?

I vote for a little skirt reduction.

Cheers

Ray

-- hide signature --

- Murf

 murfthesurf's gear list:murfthesurf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,630
Re: War is Over - Em1, 12-40 lowlight

Well done.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads