Radfan New Member • Posts: 7
Christmas wishes from all of us, comments please

Christmaswishes from all of us in the family

Paul Jones
Paul Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,279
Re: Christmas wishes from all of us, comments please

Radfan wrote:

Christmaswishes from all of us in the family

Oh yes, this is really rather nice! Good idea and well executed. The dog is a nice touch. 

Best wishes

Paul
--
Paul Jones
http://www.pauljones.org

Bob 1 Contributing Member • Posts: 548

Good Wednesday Morning Paul,

What a wonderful idea.... it looks great!  I might have opted for some color in the faces... but I also really like the total B&W.  Have a very Merry Christmas.

Bob

Bob 1's gear list:Bob 1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
rska2013 Contributing Member • Posts: 529

very cool i like it

DuaneV
DuaneV Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

The portraits look fine and the photoshop work is good, but I just think it looks cheesy, like a 60's album cover or something. Just my opinion.

The only thing that I think needs to be fixed is that really bright star by dads mouth. Its super distracting.  I think it might look better if it was a larger crop with the tree behind them.  Maybe.

expressivecanvas
expressivecanvas Contributing Member • Posts: 815

Overall, I like it because it is something different than what we usually see.

Now for comments...  I needed to look at it for a couple of minutes to realize the few things that were making the photo look a little odd to me so that is good...  nothing really jumped out at me but something seemed 'off'...

The first thing I noticed is that the highlights/contrast of the humans does not match the dog.  So, either bring up the levels in the human heads or drop the levels slightly in the dog.

Then, I realized that the depth of field is so great that it looks unnatural.  It is okay that all the faces are in sharp focus (actually, that is great...  I assume each face is a layer) but it seems unnatural that the background is in such sharp focus...  especially so for the starbursts.  These starbursts shouldn't be so well-defined, in my opinion.  They look very 'scrapbookish' and blatantly fake.  Personally, I would blur that entire background layer slightly but then apply more blurring/diffusion to the starbursts...  maybe, if possible, angle the starbursts too (assuming it isn't one single background).

Then, the last thing that leaves me wondering a little...  what is everyone looking at?  If the faces were at a 45 degree angle to the camera I might not wonder that so much.  But, with everyone looking straight out of the frame, I can't help but wonder what has everyone's attention.

Overall, however, I really like the creativity here!  Great idea!

Patrick

expressivecanvas's gear list:expressivecanvas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
Radfan OP New Member • Posts: 7

Thanks for all comments and suggestions. The project started as a"special" familyphoto but also evolved to a Christmascard and maybe a litte over the top but fun. Se the original idea below

Irina Sh
Irina Sh Contributing Member • Posts: 723

I like your idea.  Photo#1 does not look surround .. Christmas theme is impeding perception. Photo#2 very original, love it.

Irina Sh's gear list:Irina Sh's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
lim yau tong
lim yau tong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,389
Lovely and unique...

You must have done quite a lot of work using photoshop.

-- hide signature --

yau tong

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +26 more
DuaneV
DuaneV Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

The original is WORLDS better!  But again, just my personal opinion.

mbloof
mbloof Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Just one question: where's the cat? (ducking)

Nice image.

Happy Holidays!

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads