6D just got here. Baby steps!!!!

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Nikonfan99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411
6D just got here. Baby steps!!!!

Okay looong time nikon shooter here (hence the name). I am in the process of converting from nikon to canon. My 6D came in tonight. I also picked up the canon 40mm 2.8 pancake lens.

I charged up the battery and started to play with it. I can tell I have a lot to figure out. I have no clue why the AF selection point will not move with the dial at times without me hitting the af button first. I clearly need to read the manual. My point is that I have no clue what I am doing Despite all the focus point controversy, I feel that the AF points are actually more consistent compared to my d600's. I think I will be very happy once I figure out what the heck I am doing I may have to pick up a book on the camera

Btw, I am waiting for amazon to refund me my d800. As soon as they do I will be ordering the 5D mark III also.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tyr-Sog Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Re: 6D just got here. Baby steps!!!!

I look forward to reading about your opinions on the two systems.  I've gone from 7 Nikon lenses to just 2 since the middle of summer and I'm on the verge of making the switch.  I just need a final nudge to make the switch.

Tyr-Sog's gear list:Tyr-Sog's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
OP Nikonfan99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

Well so far, I will say a fairly steep learning curve as far as in camera settings and understanding focus system and all the settings. I may pick up a book designated for each camera. Never had to do that before but I never switched system before. My main reason for switching is I am fed up with nikons behavior when issues come up and I dont feel that nikon is where I want to invest my money anymore. Every release is a beta test over at nikon. Tired of being a test subject. I do feel that the nikon d600 is a very capable camera but I have no faith in nikon after all the QC issues. Over it!!!! I dont feel that canon is perfect but I feel that they take issues more seriously and I feel the products are just not thrown out to test. This will be a big learning experience and I feel that I will be at home soon enough.

cs hauser Contributing Member • Posts: 731

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Okay looong time nikon shooter here (hence the name). I am in the process of converting from nikon to canon. My 6D came in tonight. I also picked up the canon 40mm 2.8 pancake lens.

I charged up the battery and started to play with it. I can tell I have a lot to figure out. I have no clue why the AF selection point will not move with the dial at times without me hitting the af button first.

With Canons, the dials are used mainly to adjust exposure settings when in shooting mode.  By default, they will change either the aperture, shutter speed, and/or exposure compensation.  To use the dials to change any other function (AF or Metering or Drive modes) will require the press of a button.

However, there is a setting under "custom functions" that will allow you to select AF Points using the directional pad without having to press the AF Button.

Thank you. I know I am jumping the gun here and need to read the book. It mainly comes down to getting accustomed to the settings and what they each do. I can tell the 5D mark III's AF system will require a book if the 6D requires this.

Fog Maker Senior Member • Posts: 2,514

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Well so far, I will say a fairly steep learning curve as far as in camera settings and understanding focus system and all the settings. I may pick up a book designated for each camera. Never had to do that before but I never switched system before. My main reason for switching is I am fed up with nikons behavior when issues come up and I dont feel that nikon is where I want to invest my money anymore. Every release is a beta test over at nikon. Tired of being a test subject. I do feel that the nikon d600 is a very capable camera but I have no faith in nikon after all the QC issues. Over it!!!! I dont feel that canon is perfect but I feel that they take issues more seriously and I feel the products are just not thrown out to test. This will be a big learning experience and I feel that I will be at home soon enough.

If you are an experienced photographer

you need no book.

You should know that

Fog Maker's gear list:Fog Maker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 14,915

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I charged up the battery and started to play with it. I can tell I have a lot to figure out. I have no clue why the AF selection point will not move with the dial at times without me hitting the af button first. I clearly need to read the manual. My point is that I have no clue what I am doing Despite all the focus point controversy, I feel that the AF points are actually more consistent compared to my d600's. I think I will be very happy once I figure out what the heck I am doing I may have to pick up a book on the camera

Btw, I am waiting for amazon to refund me my d800. As soon as they do I will be ordering the 5D mark III also.

I would have gone with the D800E and 5D3. Wait a minute, I did. Best DSLR tandem on the planet in terms of overall IQ and allowing access to the best lenses available from both brands.

With regard to changing the AF point, which dial are you referring to? The basic method seems to work the same as any other Canon DSLR I have ever had.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. Just say NO! to MAIL-IN REBATES.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S +2 more
fotolopithecus Senior Member • Posts: 1,699

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Clearly you have "no clue what I'm doing" or you wouldn't have switched from Nikon to Canon. Turncoat Canon hack.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

6D is similar to 60D layout that I used to own.

To select AF point, you'd need to press 'AF point selection' button first, 6D or 5D3 alike before you can select with front wheel or back dial. However 5D3 has a joystick that 6D lacks and can be configured to select AF points directly without having to press 'AF point selection' button first.  But once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

Congrats on your new purchase.  You will also like 5D3 once you get it later.  They complement very well.

technotic Regular Member • Posts: 188

I'm not sure what being an experienced photographer has to do with needing a book to learn how best to use a new camera (system).

I am experienced yet the menu system, af system settings of canon is different and the button Assignment is different. Enough for me to either dive into the owners manual or to buy a guide

Thank you but I sorted it out with the help of the previous post on here. It was a menu setting that allowed me to assign the 4 way keypad to adjust AF selection without having to hit AF button first.

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

qianp2k wrote:

6D is similar to 60D layout that I used to own.

To select AF point, you'd need to press 'AF point selection' button first, 6D or 5D3 alike before you can select with front wheel or back dial. However 5D3 has a joystick that 6D lacks and can be configured to select AF points directly without having to press 'AF point selection' button first. But once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

Congrats on your new purchase. You will also like 5D3 once you get it later. They complement very well.

Instead of the joystick you have the d-pad.  The use of selecting AF via d-pad can be initiated *numerous* ways...basically *any* activity that engages metering.  Half-shutter, AF-ON, or even pressing the center set button on the d-pad if its set to configure ISO will all engage metering at which point the d-pad can be used to alter AF point.  This means it is as simple as pressing the center set button to engage metering and using the immediate d-pad where your thumb is already at (ISO configuration via SET is only a combination of button holding and front dial).

I used to like the 5DMKII's joystick, but now I prefer the 6D d-pad.  I find the position of it just right actually preferable to the Nikon D600 or even 5DMKII's joystick which forces your thumb to move *closer* to your eyepiece, the 6D makes you move your thumb *away* from the eyepiece area.  The confidence in grip in this position is still strong due to lens holding and good grip on the front.

In addition the d-pad + control wheel *has* to be in that position for best handling...moved up and you will invade the default thumb channel grip where you will for sure accidentally hit the dial all the time.  Both d-pad and control dial are spaced away appropriately to not have accidental nudging and it is incredibly simple to move your thumb to the lower area and if anything more awkward to have your thumb reach *farther* upwards to your eyepiece.  I used to feel the joystick was more precise than a very squishy d-pad but in real usage I felt it was difficult to really use 'diagonal' movement on the joystick precisely and the joystick is also a rather bare bones control of hard plastic with plastic ridges that over long usage is sort of a pain on the thumb IMO.

The 6D d-pad in the store will initially feel like a squishy imprecise piece of crap.  In real-world use however it gets the job done perfectly and is very well weather-sealed as well (that is why its squishy).

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

I did test out a d800 and just shipped it back. Amazon just issued the refund today. Once it hits the credit card I will be ordering a 5D mark III also. I was not happy with the d800. It is a great camera but not for me. No faith in nikon anymore. Too bad I cant just change screen names. This screen name is going to be awkward around here

diness Senior Member • Posts: 2,178

+1!  I love the way the d-pad works on the 6d to quickly pick the focus points.  I came from a t2i and it was always a pain to switch points.  Now it's easy and quick so I do it all the time!  I now don't focus and recompose very often at all.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I did test out a d800 and just shipped it back. Amazon just issued the refund today. Once it hits the credit card I will be ordering a 5D mark III also. I was not happy with the d800. It is a great camera but not for me. No faith in nikon anymore. Too bad I cant just change screen names. This screen name is going to be awkward around here

Actually pretty convincing that a used-to-be NikonFan now a Canon believer

Kidding.  Both Canon and Nikon have good cameras and both can generate good photos, just on personal preference and priority.

I agree as far as producing images but nikons actual way of dealing with issues got me fed up. I was loyal since around 1997 to nikon. My first nikon was a F100 followed by a D70, D90, d7000 and lastly D600. The D600's I own are going to KEH and are being sold at a big hit. The value has been dropping like crazy. A fee months ago it was $1100 trade in to keh in LN condition. Today it is $889. Ouch yes! I am also shipping off all my nikon glass to them. I dont do ebay for anything over $250. After all the fees, pay pal fees, postage and insurance, the headache is not worth it. Also dealing with a difficult buyer is never fun.

mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I agree as far as producing images but nikons actual way of dealing with issues got me fed up. I was loyal since around 1997 to nikon. My first nikon was a F100 followed by a D70, D90, d7000 and lastly D600. The D600's I own are going to KEH and are being sold at a big hit. The value has been dropping like crazy. A fee months ago it was $1100 trade in to keh in LN condition. Today it is $889. Ouch yes! I am also shipping off all my nikon glass to them. I dont do ebay for anything over $250. After all the fees, pay pal fees, postage and insurance, the headache is not worth it. Also dealing with a difficult buyer is never fun.

Well, can you post some photos that you have taken so far?  

Do you see some differences in image quality?  I don't mean as if one is better than the other, i mean do you see an actual difference.  What do you like about the 6D, what don't you like?

Thanks!

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more

The camera came yesterday so I am no expert on the topic I just know my limited testing on the AF around the house was impressive. Even the outer points seemed to focus very well. I have kind of had my head buried in wedding photo edits and on a time crunch so the 6D will have to wait for further testing. I will say the menu system is completely different so that is my only starting challenge along with the focus options. I read the 5D mark III has even more focusing settings so that should be fun. I  know the sensor is clean unlike my two d600's

Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,236

Nikonfan99 wrote:

The camera came yesterday so I am no expert on the topic I just know my limited testing on the AF around the house was impressive. Even the outer points seemed to focus very well. I have kind of had my head buried in wedding photo edits and on a time crunch so the 6D will have to wait for further testing. I will say the menu system is completely different so that is my only starting challenge along with the focus options. I read the 5D mark III has even more focusing settings so that should be fun. I  know the sensor is clean unlike my two d600's

wife still talking to you.? :-). Don't pay too much attention to the 6D as jealousy might creep in

Welcome to Canon! Update your profile and perhaps user name

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads