RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
GillesF New Member • Posts: 16
RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

Hello,

I need a cam for specific "camera policy limitation" places, for sport.

I asked the same question to Nikon 1 forum, and would need some info from those who use the RX-10 for that job.

What do you think of it ?

Thanks !

bpjod Contributing Member • Posts: 812
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)
1

If there are camera restrictions in place I think that it looks so much like a SLR that there's a good chance you'll not be permitted to take it in. Usually they don't care what it really is, if it looks big to them and they feel like restricting your access, then what can you do? Based solely on appearances I think you run the risk of catching their attention with the RX10. After you've caught security's attention, good luck getting in with the camera.

 bpjod's gear list:bpjod's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III +18 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 15,234
You might ask this question on the m4/3 thread and reference the GH3.

The RX10 is similar to the GH3 with a decent zoom lens attached but no grip. The RX10 is too new to get a lot of feedback, but people have been using the GH3 for this kind of activity for quite a while.

I have both cameras, by the way, but just bought the RX10 so its only outings have been out with the dog, and a trip to the local Tesco Home Plus.

 Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +4 more
GillesF OP New Member • Posts: 16
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

bpjod wrote:

If there are camera restrictions in place I think that it looks so much like a SLR that there's a good chance you'll not be permitted to take it in. Usually they don't care what it really is, if it looks big to them and they feel like restricting your access, then what can you do? Based solely on appearances I think you run the risk of catching their attention with the RX10. After you've caught security's attention, good luck getting in with the camera.

Thanks, I think you're right, the RX-10 is a big boy in it's category and I don't think security will take time to check if it's a SLR or not in the catalog

So ... let's go for a compact

notime Contributing Member • Posts: 926
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

I don't think there is any universal rule.....so it depends.

I've heard of some events that don't bother a DSLr if it just has a small lens on it.

But, if you are turned away, you have to go back to your car and publically put the camera back in there (theft hazard)

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

bpjod wrote:

If there are camera restrictions in place I think that it looks so much like a SLR that there's a good chance you'll not be permitted to take it in. Usually they don't care what it really is, if it looks big to them and they feel like restricting your access, then what can you do? Based solely on appearances I think you run the risk of catching their attention with the RX10. After you've caught security's attention, good luck getting in with the camera.

Thanks, I think you're right, the RX-10 is a big boy in it's category and I don't think security will take time to check if it's a SLR or not in the catalog

So ... let's go for a compact

I have been allowed to carry NEX-3 with a (relatively) large "white" lens. However, the combo still not comparable in bulk to a DSLR with multiple lenses. I think the detemination is primarily made on whether your gear might be too intrusive.

I would think tha RX10 would be allowed. It is a fixed lens camera that might look like a small DSLR but isn't intrusive.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
jameswyatt Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

I carry a A77 with the 70-300G in to NFL games all the time with no problem.  That combo is quite a bit larger than the RX10.

 jameswyatt's gear list:jameswyatt's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Jogger
Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

GillesF wrote:

Hello,

I need a cam for specific "camera policy limitation" places, for sport.

I asked the same question to Nikon 1 forum, and would need some info from those who use the RX-10 for that job.

What do you think of it ?

Thanks !

It really depends on the event. Most are concerned about the equipment being intrusive or disruptive to other spectators.. so, obviously mega large lenses are out. The other concern is folks posting content online.. but, they either dont care about it or they just file SOD orders if its of commercial value.. they dont care that you take photos or videos for yourself (ive posted NBA game footage on youtube with no issue).

So, im predicting that the RX10 will pass easily.. maybe attach a dorky neckstrap to it to make it seem more benign

 Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
GillesF OP New Member • Posts: 16
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

Admitting the RX-10 is too DSL lookalike, what would you suggest (in Sony or other) as the most approaching compact then ?

By the way, thanks for all the other answers

notime Contributing Member • Posts: 926
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

If you need the optical zoom, then the Olympus stylus 1 might work better for your size requirements:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-stylus-1/

But the RX100's might do better overall if you do not frequently zoom

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: RX-10 for sports and action (stadium)

Admitting the RX-10 is too DSL lookalike, what would you suggest (in Sony or other) as the most approaching compact then ?

By the way, thanks for all the other answers

If you are looking for sports/action photography indoors, you need a sensor that performs well thru at least ISO 1600 with a f/2.8 lens. you can go with smaller camera but you will also have to consider smaller sensor issues even if you had a f/2.8 lens.

At an NBA game, for example, you would be looking at ISO 1600 and 1/500s (minimum) at f/2.8. If you go with a smaller but slower lens (say 150mm f/5.6), the ISO requirement would climb up to ISO6400.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,881
I would highly recommend ......

GillesF wrote:

Admitting the RX-10 is too DSL lookalike, what would you suggest (in Sony or other) as the most approaching compact then ?

That you consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30. ( Note: I think that it has a different name outside the USA ).

The camera is very small, and would definitely not attract attention. It has a fantastic 20x optical zoom, with really impressive image stabilization. It records awesome looking photos, as well as stunning 1080/60p video. Even does 10fps Burst Shooting at Full Resolution, which is ideal for sports coverage.

This camera is getting very high feedback from owners on the B&H Photo website.

I think that it would struggle in an indoors arena that did not have good lighting. But for any outdoor stadium it would be ideal for getting past security.

This YouTube user sneaks his Panasonic into all sorts of music venues that ban cameras completely, and then records videos of the artists performing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pokeadoubledecker

.

 lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 +1 more
pokeadoubledecker New Member • Posts: 2
Re: I would highly recommend ......

Ylancespring wrote:

GillesF wrote:

Admitting the RX-10 is too DSL lookalike, what would you suggest (in Sony or other) as the most approaching compact then ?

That you consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30. ( Note: I think that it has a different name outside the USA ).

The camera is very small, and would definitely not attract attention. It has a fantastic 20x optical zoom, with really impressive image stabilization. It records awesome looking photos, as well as stunning 1080/60p video. Even does 10fps Burst Shooting at Full Resolution, which is ideal for sports coverage.

This camera is getting very high feedback from owners on the B&H Photo website.

I think that it would struggle in an indoors arena that did not have good lighting. But for any outdoor stadium it would be ideal for getting past security.

This YouTube user sneaks his Panasonic into all sorts of music venues that ban cameras completely, and then records videos of the artists performing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pokeadoubledecker

.

I am youtube user pokeadoubledecker and this is incorrect.  I have never owned a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30.  Hopefully lancespring just mis-typed that.

I use either a Sony HX10V or Kodak Playsport for my videos exclusively. Please feel free to check out my channel and see what these cameras can do. I strive to achieve the best audio and video as I can, even in a stealth environment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads