SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Al Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 4,720
SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

I just thought I would show people that are interested what an improvement and SSD can make. I have a 15" 2010 MBP dual-core 2.4 i5 and was using a WD Scorpio Black HDD, 750GB, 7200rpm. Yesterday I cloned and replaced it with a Crucial M500 960GB SSD (only $439 from B&H black friday sale). Results show a 150% improvement for Read/Write time...

  • HDD Write/Read: 105/105
  • SSD Write/Read: 252/264
  • Photoshop CS6 Launch: 11 seconds (HDD) vs 5-6 seconds (SSD)
  • Boot: 45 seconds (HDD) vs 23 second (SSD)

Again, this isa  2010 model which only 3G. 2011 onwards are 6G so Read/Write times will be double mine - but I am not complaining.

Installation went perfect and I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone that has a HDD and wants a bit more snap. Prices are becoming a little more reasonable.

My next project will be upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax Optio M50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

Al Valentino wrote:

I just thought I would show people that are interested what an improvement and SSD can make. I have a 15" 2010 MBP dual-core 2.4 i5 and was using a WD Scorpio Black HDD, 750GB, 7200rpm. Yesterday I cloned and replaced it with a Crucial M500 960GB SSD (only $439 from B&H black friday sale). Results show a 150% improvement for Read/Write time...

  • HDD Write/Read: 105/105
  • SSD Write/Read: 252/264
  • Photoshop CS6 Launch: 11 seconds (HDD) vs 5-6 seconds (SSD)
  • Boot: 45 seconds (HDD) vs 23 second (SSD)

Again, this isa 2010 model which only 3G. 2011 onwards are 6G so Read/Write times will be double mine - but I am not complaining.

Installation went perfect and I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone that has a HDD and wants a bit more snap. Prices are becoming a little more reasonable.

My next project will be upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro.

Have you looked into TRIM being enabled for your SSD?

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

williamio Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

nice.. and I believe you got great deal on the SSD for less than 500 bucks.

I am still using Intel 520 serials SATA6 SSD, it has 480GB on my old MBP 2009. I will upgrade to newer MBP early next year

FWIW, M500 should give you around 480MB/s.

@W

Al Valentino OP Senior Member • Posts: 4,720
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

Basalite wrote:

Have you looked into TRIM being enabled for your SSD?

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Yes, I downloaded the Snow Leopard version ofGroths Trim Enabler 2.2 this morning. Will likely get 3.0 version once I upgrade to Mavericks

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Al Valentino OP Senior Member • Posts: 4,720
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

williamio wrote:

nice.. and I believe you got great deal on the SSD for less than 500 bucks.

I am still using Intel 520 serials SATA6 SSD, it has 480GB on my old MBP 2009. I will upgrade to newer MBP early next year

FWIW, M500 should give you around 480MB/s.

@W

Yes, I originally ordered the 480Gb for $279 but learned of the discount on the 960Gb version and decided to future proof myself.

I know the the M500 can do 480mb/s but not on a Sata 3 hardware, only on Sata 6G. Not sure how you got yours to go faster, assuming you measured it, not just read the specs. Mine seems as fast as I have expected from my research.

Also picked up an iPad Air for $457 on the same order - free shipping and no tax collected!!!

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

Al Valentino wrote:

williamio wrote:

nice.. and I believe you got great deal on the SSD for less than 500 bucks.

I am still using Intel 520 serials SATA6 SSD, it has 480GB on my old MBP 2009. I will upgrade to newer MBP early next year

FWIW, M500 should give you around 480MB/s.

@W

Yes, I originally ordered the 480Gb for $279 but learned of the discount on the 960Gb version and decided to future proof myself.

I know the the M500 can do 480mb/s but not on a Sata 3 hardware, only on Sata 6G.

You are confusing SATA versions and specs. SATA 3 is 6Gbps. SATA 2 is what you have. That is 3Gbps.

Not sure how you got yours to go faster, assuming you measured it, not just read the specs. Mine seems as fast as I have expected from my research.

Also picked up an iPad Air for $457 on the same order - free shipping and no tax collected!!!

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

Al Valentino wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Have you looked into TRIM being enabled for your SSD?

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Yes, I downloaded the Snow Leopard version ofGroths Trim Enabler 2.2 this morning. Will likely get 3.0 version once I upgrade to Mavericks

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

No point in getting an update if it enabled TRIM.

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Al Valentino OP Senior Member • Posts: 4,720
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

Basalite wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

williamio wrote:

nice.. and I believe you got great deal on the SSD for less than 500 bucks.

I am still using Intel 520 serials SATA6 SSD, it has 480GB on my old MBP 2009. I will upgrade to newer MBP early next year

FWIW, M500 should give you around 480MB/s.

@W

Yes, I originally ordered the 480Gb for $279 but learned of the discount on the 960Gb version and decided to future proof myself.

I know the the M500 can do 480mb/s but not on a Sata 3 hardware, only on Sata 6G.

You are confusing SATA versions and specs. SATA 3 is 6Gbps. SATA 2 is what you have. That is 3Gbps.

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

You're correct, my mistake

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Al Valentino OP Senior Member • Posts: 4,720
Re: SSD Performance Improvements on my 2010 MBP

Basalite wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Have you looked into TRIM being enabled for your SSD?

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Yes, I downloaded the Snow Leopard version ofGroths Trim Enabler 2.2 this morning. Will likely get 3.0 version once I upgrade to Mavericks

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

No point in getting an update if it enabled TRIM.

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

Version 2.2 is for Snow Leopard, version 3 is for Mavericks, and cost $10

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads