Traveling: E-M5 or X-E2. Which would you bring?

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Questions
camrnw
camrnw Regular Member • Posts: 176
Traveling: E-M5 or X-E2. Which would you bring?

I have two kits at home, and am debating which one to bring while traveling:

Olympus OM-D E-M5

• 14mm f/2.5
  • 25mm f/1.4
  • 45mm f/1.8

Fuji X-E2

• Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4

I can definitely see the pros/cons of bringing either. For the Olympus, it's the full range of lens choices, fast AF, and great EVF. It's the camera I trust to get the right shots. For the Fuji, though limited to one (manual) lens, that limitation can in a way be freeing - no need to change lenses. The EVF still doesn't quite compare to the Olympus though, and having to manually focus I will likely miss many shots. There is also one important point: the Fuji makes me want to go out and take pictures, whereas the Olympus feels like a tool.

Which would you pick?

camrnw's gear list:camrnw's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JdKen Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: Traveling: E-M5 or X-E2. Which would you bring?

Easy. I'd pick the one that makes me want to take pictures. That overrides everything else for me.

JdKen's gear list:JdKen's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-A2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
johnbandry Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
Simple

I would sell the Olympus kit, which you clearly don't enjoy using, and buy a decent set of Fuji lenses. Then take the XE2.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
BillyInya
BillyInya Senior Member • Posts: 1,453
Re: Simple

johnbandry wrote:

I would sell the Olympus kit, which you clearly don't enjoy using, and buy a decent set of Fuji lenses. Then take the XE2.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

Absolutely second John's answer. It's a no brainer.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
camrnw
OP camrnw Regular Member • Posts: 176

Ha. It's not that simple. The likelihood of me buying an APSC (or FF) camera system is going to be low until they can produce glass that's small enough.

I enjoy using my OMD enough to not sell it.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
MikeyLNG Forum Member • Posts: 62

Very surprised to read the comment about the EM-5 viewfinder being better than the X-E2's. The latter is double the resolution and should have similar, if not not better refresh rate, and I think I remember reading that the magnification is similar too.

MikeyLNG's gear list:MikeyLNG's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
jgoldstein2000 Regular Member • Posts: 181

Buy a GM1 and put your 12mm on it and put it in your pocket and take the XE-2 with the 35mm voigtlander.

In all seriousness this is what I will be doing my next trip.

-- hide signature --
kewlguy
kewlguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

Should have been X-E2 + 18-55. Simple

But looking at what you have - take the Oly.

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Canon EOS 5DS R Pentax K-1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +85 more
FrankB2 Regular Member • Posts: 424

camrnw wrote:

Ha. It's not that simple. The likelihood of me buying an APSC (or FF) camera system is going to be low until they can produce glass that's small enough.

Pentax did that a while back (made small but very good glass for APS-C) with their DA Limited line of pancake lenses.  However, as with most things, there is a trade-off, in this case a bigger and heavier body, and slower lenses.  I've traveled quite a bit with a Pentax K-5 and the 15/4, 21/3.2, 40/2,8 and 70/2.4. The whole kit will fit easily in a Domke F5-XB.  But, as you can see, the lenses are a lot slower than the more or less comparable Fuji line up.  Very nice lenses though.

As much as I like the Pentax, and I still have the kit, I prefer the Fuji for the lighter weight and faster lenses with a comparable sensor to the K-5.  I do miss the weather sealing and overall robustness of the Pentax at times though, as well as what I think is the best dSLR ergonomics around.

Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,812

Bring the gear that is most fun.

Missed a shot, bad luck. You sleep 7 hours a day, that is a missed photo opportunity as well.

Last summer lugged a 7D around Paris 15 hours a day,next year it will be a small little X100

I'll bring the Funi.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha a7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
camrnw
OP camrnw Regular Member • Posts: 176

MikeyLNG wrote:

Very surprised to read the comment about the EM-5 viewfinder being better than the X-E2's. The latter is double the resolution and should have similar, if not not better refresh rate, and I think I remember reading that the magnification is similar too.

On paper the specs might be better, but in reality the difference is pretty stark. The smaller, lower resolution E-M5 viewfinder still beats the X-E2 in refresh rate (and not even with high frame rate mode enabled), which in my opinion, is where it counts the most.

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Did you ask the same question on the Micro Four Thirds forum?  I already know the answer.

adventure_photo
adventure_photo Contributing Member • Posts: 725
I think you need a Fuji zoom 18-55

I would recommend adding the 18-55 XF lens to your X-E2 setup since it's such a great, high-quality lens that is the perfect setup for street and travel photography. The OIS works great and seems better than on any of my FF Nikon lenses. Even if you were not traveling I would recommend this lens just to have in your quiver.

However, if you do not want to invest in other Fuji lenses then I'd take the Olympus. One lens is too limiting and you'll kick yourself for not having other focal lengths.

Also as someone else mentioned it is important to feel inspired and excited to go out and shoot. I think you'll end up with better photos bringing a camera that inspires you and makes it fun to go photograph.

adventure_photo's gear list:adventure_photo's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +23 more
rockygag Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

It's simple .... my Kids surf.

OM-D EM-5 + 100-300 for that,

When I'm in Paris w/Wife and kids @ beach with Grandparents, the X Pro-1 + 18mm for street.

Sweet to have both!

Dave

AustinB Regular Member • Posts: 380

I've had both, my .02$... X-E2 for better IQ, OMD for better AF, smaller lenses, weather proofing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads