gm1 users, is the grip worth it?

Started Dec 6, 2013 | Discussions
TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337
Re: gm1 users, is the grip worth it?

It only uses one lug so the strap doesn't need to cross over the back of the body. I put the strap on at first and it felt like too much strap for such a small camera. Most straps that you hand goes in like this attach to the tripod socket which makes them big and cumbersome. I came upon this strap when I was looking to recreate something that I saw online that Mike Kobal fabricated....you can see the pic but the stap details are in the comments.

http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=7208

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

OP hinting Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Thanks for all your replies.

My gm1 has arrived. Official australian stock. One of the first one as I preordered.

This camera is so small and light I am ok with D.I.Y. finger strap on one lug, and hook on a strap if needed. I save Au$139 and don't need to wait for stock.

Protective case may be worthwhile....

hinting's gear list:hinting's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M-Monochrom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +52 more
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 1,490

My GM1 arrived today and I'm surprised by the size. This camera is 'point and shoot compact' small and half the size of my GF2. Yes it's half the size of my GF2. So small in fact I'm wondering if I should of purchase the GX7 instead or waited to see what the GF7 is like.

I got myself the Silver/Black GM1 and seriously the camera is so small it doesn't really matter what colour style you go for. i do feel gutted because I imported mine from Digitalrev(hK) because over here in the UK we only have the black or silver/orange). On first glance, people will think it's a low spec camera and because it's so small there is no point being fuzzy over the exterior colour scheme.

I think I'll buy the grip and try to beef up the camera a bit. I'm just surprise this hobbit of a camera can out perform both my GF2 and G3 except when it comes to shutter speed.

Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,528
Re: Richard Franiec GM1 grip?

Zensu11 wrote:

snack wrote:

I emailed Richard Franiec to see if he might have a grip in the works for this model, or if it was possible that one of his other grips happens to fit the GM1. He said he would look into it. Perhaps if other folks requested this he might be inclined to produce one.

His grips have always been perfect, IMO.

It took a short time to gather good demand feedback via Emails from GM1 users. Some time ago I've purchased the camera to get better feel to it and understanding for your queries.

The conclusion could only be one: GM1 will have my very special, dedicated, uncompromised grip.

I've used two of Franiec's grips on two cameras and they made both cameras much more secure to hold (IMHO). Franiec's grips are lightweight metal and others are plastic. I think the metal holds up (looks better) after extended use. I guess he's waiting to determine if there will be much demand for a grip?

In my opinion cameras like GM1 really deserves the best quality accessories (material and design) to seamlessly blend into the whole package with the right balance of aesthetics and utility. Aircraft grade aluminum alloy was my material of choice and it will be in case of GM1 grip.

RF

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
pmbooks New Member • Posts: 12

I don't see an offering [yet] for a non black option (for the non black models of the GM1). Will you be releasing a silver version for these other GM1 bodies?

Richard Franiec

pmbooks wrote:

I don't see an offering [yet] for a non black option (for the non black models of the GM1). Will you be releasing a silver version for these other GM1 bodies?

I've actually made one of prototype grips in so called "snow bright" finish, just for the heck of it:

I thought that it looked O.K.

Since great majority of GM1's are sold in black/black or black/silver combinations and black grip is a natural, predominant choice, I've never pursued limited editions of the grip for the reason of prohibitive cost of anodizing of only a few pieces at a time.

Cheers,

Richard

Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 221

Hi Richard

I am interested in this grip but I was wondering about a couple of things

1. Can it be removed cleanly without damaging the camera?  Say if i wanted to sell the body in the original condition.

2. How well does the glue hold?  Can I trust it wont come off while holding with a heavish lens? like the 35-100mm f2.8

Thanks

Richard Franiec

sylon wrote:

Hi Richard

1. Can it be removed cleanly without damaging the camera? Say if i wanted to sell the body in the original condition.

2. How well does the glue hold? Can I trust it wont come off while holding with a heavish lens? like the 35-100mm f2.8

Thanks

GM1 grip was the first one tested on leatherette skin.

To answer your questions I have to say Yes X 2

Sincerely,

Richard

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 33,928

Richard Franiec wrote:

sylon wrote:

Hi Richard

1. Can it be removed cleanly without damaging the camera? Say if i wanted to sell the body in the original condition.

2. How well does the glue hold? Can I trust it wont come off while holding with a heavish lens? like the 35-100mm f2.8

Thanks

GM1 grip was the first one tested on leatherette skin.

To answer your questions I have to say Yes X 2

Sincerely,

Richard

I endorse what Richard has said and I have two grips on two GM1 cameras which I intend to keep "forever".  My only suggestion is that as a regular user of heavier lenses on the GM1 that the grip be slightly less tapered at the top if it ever was re-designed.  Basically to provide a higher centre of gravity finger-hook than the present grip allows. But I am happy enough with it as it is which is about perfect for smaller lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads