GXR Lenses, lensors & Misc.

Started Dec 6, 2013 | Discussions
dbledsoe Contributing Member • Posts: 771
Re: GXR Lenses, lensors & Misc.

Run,

I think I am going to take a wait and see on any additional Ricoh lensor units and look, instead, for some additional Leica LTM lenses I would like to have... probably lenses I once had but sold off for whatever reason.

Don

-- hide signature --

'The trouble with normal is it always gets worse.'
Bruce Cockburn

OP Runnicle Contributing Member • Posts: 581

Don, I noticed my mistaken attribution of the Schneider DKL-mount lens almost as soon as I posted it, and quickly posted another acknowledging my mistake.

Yesterday was taken up with updating firmware in the epl2 camera, and also for each of the three m4/3 lenses that I have for the camera.  I found it interesting that one could update firmware for a Pana lens (in this case the 45mm - 150mm) at the Oly tech support web site.  Apparently, the agreement btw Pana & Oly that led to the m4/3 resulted in operational cooperation beyond just a paper agreement...refreshing.

When I finally got the camera's firmware updated, a very slow process via fairly slow WiFi connection, the first thing that I did was to try out the VF3 viewfinder on the epl2, and it works great compared to its pre-firmware upgrade state of not working at all.  Then, I placed the silver epl2 body alongside the jet-black GXR, both with their EVF in place, and found their comparative dimensions to be nearly identical, except that the EVF is higher by about 1/8" on the epl2 than on the GXR.  Today I'm going to do a few shooting comparisons between these two.

Run

Runnicle's gear list:Runnicle's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Leica X2 Leica X Vario Leica C Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +5 more
N Desmond Contributing Member • Posts: 734

Run - Purely out of curiosity, is it possible for you to post a photo of these two cameras side by side?

N Desmond's gear list:N Desmond's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC +4 more

Des, would you believe that I actually had this idea before you asked the question?  But, every time I picked up one of the two cameras to take the desired picture, well there was only one camera left on the table for the picture to capture!

In other words, I have two cameras out here, and just two.  Well, I do have an Asus tablet that I use for Skype calls, and it does have a camera; but I have no idea how to get the output of its camera into my LR workflow as the tablet does not support an SD card nor do I have its non-generic USB cable with me.  I suppose that I might try to e-mail pictures from it to myself and thus from there for posting to DPR.  So, I'll give this a try.

Run

Des, here are the pics you requested. They arrive courtesy of my Asus Windows 8.1 Tablet, via attachment to e-mail sent from tablet Outlook mail to my Yahoo mail on laptop, and then downloaded from Yahoo mail to desktop from where they were attached to this post.

Best regards, Run

Top view of silver Oly epl2 alongside Ricoh GXR w/s10 lensor

Front view of silver Oly epl2 alongside of Ricoh GXR w/s10 lensor

Run, I thought of that after I posted but then noticed a NEX on your gear list. No photo needed, just trying to imagine.

FWIW, after purchasing several cameras in one year, I definitely see the advantage of having two. Much easier to master - at least it would seem so for me. Yet the experiment has provided insight into my preferences, much of which confirmed what I enjoyed with film SLR.  Finally happy using a digital now, at least when I know what I am doing.

Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC +4 more

Oops, late response. Funny - I am watching televised Eagles/Lions football game as it is snowing here for the first this season. First thought - Why is Run photographing his cameras in the snow?" Thanks for the comparison.

A Great Link to "all" M-mount Lenses

Des, I have just two of my cameras out here, GXR and ePL2, plus of course the Asus tablet which has come in mighty handy both today as a camera and for even longer to be able to make Skype calls from where cell calls are unreliable at best.  I presume by now that you've seen the photos I just posted of the GXR next to the E-PL2?

In the course of exploring old GXR postings about shutter release cables I came across this very noteworthy link to a compendium of information about Leica M-mount lenses, including discussion of how related mounts such as Canon/Nikon rangefinders and LTM can be adapted to M-mount status.  This link was originally posted over two years ago by a gentleman, Geoffrey Kitt, who used to be a contributor here.  It is a link (see below) definitely worth bookmarking in case you haven't already done so.

Leica M-mount Lenses Link Here

Des, one of the first lessons that we have to learn out here in the Arizona desert is that "All that glitters is not gold."  In Pennsylvania, it appears that the analogous lesson should be that "All that is white is not snow!"

Best regards, Run

Re: A Great Link to "all" M-mount Lenses

Run,

Thank you for the link.  While I have been at the Leica game for many many years there is always more to learn about them.  One of my best adaptations was adapting a Leica 135mm f/4.5 Hektor lens head to my Canon D30 digital camera some years back.  It required the Hektor removable lens head, some Visoflex stuff and a Leica R lens to Canon converter.  Attached is a photo I took several years back with that lash up. LOL!

What I didn't capture was actually more interesting than what I did capture.  The young girl and her dad were at the park with a loaf of bread.  Geese were in abundance, dad and little girl came specifically to feed the geese and ducks, a favorite past time of many folks who visit Ann Morrison Park.  Only thing is, the large geese can get very aggressive when it comes to food and being fed.  The geese were a more than half the hight of the little girl.  They swarmed her and scared the poor little lady terribly.  Seconds after this shot was taken she threw the bread in the air and ran to her daddy's arms for protection crying as she reached his safety.  I wish I could have captured the sequence but it happened so fast and trying to manual focus the old Leica lens on the D30 just didn't cut it.  Still, I really like the image and how the 1939 Hektor 135 renders it.  The shot was wide open on the 135 Hektor i.e., f/4.5.

Don

Girl feeding geese in a Boise park.

-- hide signature --

Bruce Cockburn

Run,

I am not overly fond of the Olympus/Pana must tether to the computer via USB cable to update firmware but as you note, it does allow one to update firmware for everything attached to the camera, if there are updates for them... and it does allow one to attach the camera and lens to the computer, go to the update website and it will tell you what updates are available for your combination.

Don

-- hide signature --

Bruce Cockburn

Re: A Great Link to "all" M-mount Lenses

Don, behind every good picture there is a good story, and yours of the little girl feeding geese is no exception.  YouTube has some scary videos of just how aggressive those birds can get.  I say ship them all back to Canada where they're from.  Feeding them by hand is just one step shy of feeding wild bears.

Run

Tom, just as you predicted...I wish now that I had ordered two of the LC-2, one for p10 and the second for s10.  I now realize that these lens covers are different from the typical lens covers of my previous experience in that they're intended for permanent installation on a single lensor unit.  Until I actually received one, though, I thought that I could just transfer the lens cap casually between p10 and s10 as the need arose; I now see that this was an uninformed, faulty assumption.  No big deal, I'll just have to order another one.

I've also been experimenting assigning whole screen magnification to one fn button, and focus assist mode to the second fn button.  I wish that there was a way to assign Mode1/Mode2 as a user-defined function button, but it appears not to be possible; is this consistent with your own understanding of the situation?

Run

AscherJim Regular Member • Posts: 190

Runnicle wrote:

Jim, first let me offer disclaimer that i have no direct experience with the DKL->Nikon, plus Nikon->M mount adapter combination that you're considering. However, in theory it should work, but ONLY if the combined length of the two adapters when assembled is equal to the combined length of the DKL->M45, plus M42->M mount adapter combination that we know works on the GXR.

Please let us know the outcome if you decided to go this route.

Runnicle

Runnicle:  I have since consulted my resident expert at Fotodiox (who I have been relying on with confidence for years) on the efficacy of my proposal to use the Fotodiox DKL->Nikon adapter in conjunction with my Nikon->M mount adapter for use of my proposed purchase of a DKL lens.  He says it will work, so I'm proceeding to make my various purchases.  I will report back after I've tried it.  Jim

Jim, it will be interesting to hear back from you as to the outcome of getting from DKL to GXR through Nikon rather than through M42.  Can we also inquire whether you have other Nikon lenses that you also adapt to GXR via the same adapter that is one of the two you'll also employ to adapt your proposed new/old DKL mount lens?

Runnicle wrote:

Jim, it will be interesting to hear back from you as to the outcome of getting from DKL to GXR through Nikon rather than through M42. Can we also inquire whether you have other Nikon lenses that you also adapt to GXR via the same adapter that is one of the two you'll also employ to adapt your proposed new/old DKL mount lens?

Runnicle:  I have a "bunch" of old Nikon (35mm film) lenses that I can (and sometimes do) use with my GXR (as well as with my Sony NEX 5n).  I am particularly partial to the Nikon 50mm 1.8, which I'll be interested in comparing with the DKL 50mm.  With the exception of a Nikon 28mm, all my other Nikon lenses are telephoto zoom.  But then I also have Voigtlander M-mount 25mm and 15mm lenses.  And a 1950's Leitz collapsible 90mm Elmar.  What fun!

Jim, I'll be looking forward to seeing in action some of the lenses you named.  Speaking of Nikon zooms, their Series 1 75mm -150mm has a reputation for sharpness, and produced great results for me on Nex 7.  I wonder if this might be one of the Nikon zooms you intend to try on GXR?

Runnicle wrote:

Jim, I'll be looking forward to seeing in action some of the lenses you named. Speaking of Nikon zooms, their Series 1 75mm -150mm has a reputation for sharpness, and produced great results for me on Nex 7. I wonder if this might be one of the Nikon zooms you intend to try on GXR?

Run:  I am presently only interested in experimenting with DKL lenses, with my M-mount GXR and my Sigma Fovenon sensor SD15 (which I've converted for use with Nikon lenses).  Hence, my interest in whether the Fotodiox DKL-> Nikon F adapter will work for both these cameras.  I probably will order the 35mm DKL lens before I order the DKL 50mm (which would in fact duplicate my excellent Nikon 50mm lens).   Jim

Jim, it seems to me that the 35mm S-K lens is pretty rare, and I can't remember ever seeing one for sale. However, it appears to be quite sharp, at least according to an ancient posting that I just found on a different forum:

<<ive had a complete set of S-K retina lenses for years and i love them. most perform really well, but this one, and the 200/4, are the softest and lack contrast especially in bright light. a hood is absolutely necessary. the only other issues with all these lenses is they are slow and they have a very large minimum focusing distance which increases with focal length. regardless, i know your results will be excellent!

OT, with this lens series ive found the best IQ, in order of best to least, is: 35/2.8, 50/1.9, 85/4, 45/2.8, 28/4, 135/4, 200/4. i never had the 50/2.8 but i understand it has good IQ, probably equal to the 1.9 or the 85>>

Runnicle wrote:

Jim, it seems to me that the 35mm S-K lens is pretty rare, and I can't remember ever seeing one for sale.

Run:  There are a number currently offered on eBay in the U.S., one of which I will likely attempt to purchase.  Regards, Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads