Removing baffle from LA-EA1

Started Dec 4, 2013 | Discussions
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 3,963
Removing baffle from LA-EA1

I believe that most of you know that inner baffle can be removed from LA-EA1 adapter. By doing so, I made few test shots to see, if it indeed cover FF format.

(Sorry for the low image quality, I have only iPad and did transfer those small jpegs via wifi)

1. A7r with LA-EA1 and Minolta 35/1.4 AF at f/5.6

2. A7r with LA-EA1 with baffle removed and Minolta 35/1.4 AF at f/5.6

As you can see, it is almost good but there is a bit of remaining vignetting in the extreme corners.

To confirm that it is not lens issue,  i made another shot with LA-EA4

A7r with LA-EA4 and Minolta 35/1.4 AF at f/5.6

So, LA-EA1 with baffle removed almost cover FF, but not 100%. As I don't have LA-EA3, I can't comment of other possible differences, but I doubt there is something significant.

Another thing attracted my attention however. With lens corrections switched off and with the lens that certainly does not have pre-programed profile, in AWB, images have slight greenish cast more pronounced in the corners.

Here is another shot taken with "Dumb" Novoflex adapter and same lens at f/5.6

A7r + Novoflex Minolta A to Sony E mount adapter and Minolta 35/1.4 AF

As you can see WB reading is entirely different and there is no visible greenish cast in the corners. This is IMHO indicating, that SONY does apply some lens corrections whenever native lens or lens with electronic contacts is registered, no matter if the corrections are switched off or on.

But of course, when you can switch correction on, (camera or lens have preloaded lens correction profile) it does much better job.

A7r and Sony FE35/2.8 lens corrections switched to off

And the same combination with lens correction switched on (in this case only vignetting is relevant)

A7r  with Sony FE35/2.8 at f/5.6  with lens corrections switched on.

Back to the LA-EA1 transformation, If you like what you see here, and don't know how to remove baffle, just look at your adapter from the back (camera mount side). You will see 3 philips screws there, that should be released. You don't have to take them off, just fully release them and take the whole baffle out. It can't be much easier and if you can live with a little vignetting in the extreme corners, you can save few bucks.

Anyway, it still looks better than FE35/2.8 with lens correction on IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 +2 more
Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,633
Re: Removing baffle from LA-EA1

Some APS-c owners might want to try removing the baffle too. I recall that f1.4 bokeh was getting flat edges with some lenses.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657

verybiglebowski wrote:

I believe that most of you know that inner baffle can be removed from LA-EA1 adapter. By doing so, I made few test shots to see, if it indeed cover FF format.

(Sorry for the low image quality, I have only iPad and did transfer those small jpegs via wifi)

1. A7r with LA-EA1 and Minolta 35/1.4 AF at f/5.6

2. A7r with LA-EA1 with baffle removed and Minolta 35/1.4 AF at f/5.6

As you can see, it is almost good but there is a bit of remaining vignetting in the extreme corners.

To confirm that it is not lens issue, i made another shot with LA-EA4

A7r with LA-EA4 and Minolta 35/1.4 AF at f/5.6

So, LA-EA1 with baffle removed almost cover FF, but not 100%. As I don't have LA-EA3, I can't comment of other possible differences, but I doubt there is something significant.

Another thing attracted my attention however. With lens corrections switched off and with the lens that certainly does not have pre-programed profile, in AWB, images have slight greenish cast more pronounced in the corners.

Here is another shot taken with "Dumb" Novoflex adapter and same lens at f/5.6

A7r + Novoflex Minolta A to Sony E mount adapter and Minolta 35/1.4 AF

As you can see WB reading is entirely different and there is no visible greenish cast in the corners. This is IMHO indicating, that SONY does apply some lens corrections whenever native lens or lens with electronic contacts is registered, no matter if the corrections are switched off or on.

But of course, when you can switch correction on, (camera or lens have preloaded lens correction profile) it does much better job.

A7r and Sony FE35/2.8 lens corrections switched to off

And the same combination with lens correction switched on (in this case only vignetting is relevant)

A7r with Sony FE35/2.8 at f/5.6 with lens corrections switched on.

Back to the LA-EA1 transformation, If you like what you see here, and don't know how to remove baffle, just look at your adapter from the back (camera mount side). You will see 3 philips screws there, that should be released. You don't have to take them off, just fully release them and take the whole baffle out. It can't be much easier and if you can live with a little vignetting in the extreme corners, you can save few bucks.

Anyway, it still looks better than FE35/2.8 with lens correction on IMHO.

what a fun project! is it possible to remove the baffles from the aps-c E-mount lenses also?

120 to 35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

So do you think the internal diameter of the LA-EA1 is too small by about 2mm?

verybiglebowski
OP verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 3,963

120 to 35 wrote:

So do you think the internal diameter of the LA-EA1 is too small by about 2mm?

I don't know by how much, but yes, it seems a bit smaller than ideal.

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!

Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 +2 more
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,045

An very interesting finding, esp for me having trouble in finding an LA EA3 and hate using LA EA4...for its quality compromise made.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 +66 more
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,469
Viktor: that Sony migt be cooking their RAWs is a long standing...

...suspicion, from time to time turning true in way too many cases one wishes to mention.

And the greenish cast was for sure present in some N7-classic RAWs = almost certainly done as S's means to get rid of the magenta casts when N7 was used with some WA or UWA lenses (most notably RF wides & ultrawides),

jpr2

RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
what a great post and help, thanks

verybiglebowski wrote: I believe that most of you know that inner baffle can be removed from LA-EA1 adapter. By doing so, I made few test shots to see, if it indeed cover FF format...

Since nicely-machined LA-EA1 adapters are sometimes $90 dollars used, and there are so many light, nearly-free-to-cheap used full-frame Alpha mount lenses in the world

which are so easier nicer to use with the LA-EA1's electronic diaphragm control, your post is much appreciated.

Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,305
Re: what a great post and help, thanks

Yes a very useful finding , do you have any pics of the adapter with baffle removed ?

verybiglebowski

Keit ll wrote:

Yes a very useful finding , do you have any pics of the adapter with baffle removed ?

I don't, I can make them, but am going to be few days out.

Anyway, it is very easy to do so. Only three, easy to remove philips screws on the side that mounts to the camera. Electronics gets a bit exposed after baffle removal, but it shouldn't affect normal usage. It wasn't weathersealed before either, so not a big change.

I will post the whole DIY video on my blog, when I get back.

Cheers,

Viktor

-- hide signature --

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,045

but one thing...once you attach an LA EA1, the camera turns automatically into an APS C camera

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 +66 more
verybiglebowski

but one thing...once you attach an LA EA1, the camera turns automatically into an APS C camera

Yes. So you have to switch the crop mode in camera settings menu. Not a big deal.
--

Sagiluck Junior Member • Posts: 47

interesting...  love the la-ea1 + tamron 90mm on my nex7... now if the same combo can be used on a7 then it will great ! Thanks for sharing

now anyone wanna try with la-ea2 ?

Sagiluck's gear list:Sagiluck's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
verybiglebowski

interesting...  love the la-ea1 + tamron 90mm on my nex7... now if the same combo can be used on a7 then it will great ! Thanks for sharing

LA-EA2 can't be adapted The problem is smaller transluscent mirror, designed to project smaller image - enough for APS-C. So, you'll have to replace mirror with larger one and that might be tricky
But, you can sell LA-EA2 if you buy LA-EA4. It will work on APS-C too.
--

Sagiluck Junior Member • Posts: 47

oh ya... silly me ..totally forgotten about that mirror. Thanks again

Sagiluck's gear list:Sagiluck's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
DUSTY LENS
DUSTY LENS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,308

verybiglebowski wrote:

interesting... love the la-ea1 + tamron 90mm on my nex7... now if the same combo can be used on a7 then it will great ! Thanks for sharing

LA-EA2 can't be adapted The problem is smaller transluscent mirror, designed to project smaller image - enough for APS-C. So, you'll have to replace mirror with larger one and that might be tricky
But, you can sell LA-EA2 if you buy LA-EA4. It will work on APS-C too.
--

Any APS-c mirror can be replaced with a larger one . and it is a little tricky .

You need to find a FF Sony DSLR to start with , then you place the LA-EA2 on the new FF Sony DSLR .

Or just go all out and get the Sony A7 or even the A7 r and mount the LA-EA2 on one of those camera bodies . Trust me , it won't matter how large or small the mirror is because if you find a mirror inside you can take the camera to a good Dentist and have it pulled .

Always look at the easiest solution first .

Dusty

DUSTY LENS's gear list:DUSTY LENS's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
lmfmis Junior Member • Posts: 25

Hi,

Is it of any consideration to remove the mirror altogether from LA-EA2E and use the contrast detect autofocus with A7?

Just an idea...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads