EOS M2 has been announced!

Started Dec 3, 2013 | Discussions
Minh Ta Forum Member • Posts: 81
EOS M2 has been announced!
1

Straight from Canon's website:

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

Key features:

+ 18 MP - ISO 12800 (ext 25600)

+ 2.3x improved in AF. Hybrid CMOS AF II

+ 4.6fps

+ Wifi

Go digging dpreviewers!!!

fredlatchaw Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

Minh Ta wrote:

Straight from Canon's website:

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

Key features:

+ 18 MP - ISO 12800 (ext 25600)

+ 2.3x improved in AF. Hybrid CMOS AF II

+ 4.6fps

+ Wifi

Go digging dpreviewers!!!

Keep the price reasonable and I'll buy one. Or two.

 fredlatchaw's gear list:fredlatchaw's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha a7 II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EOS M6 +67 more
Gao Gao Contributing Member • Posts: 561
They could have put in the 70D sensor...

or are they reserving it for a “higher-end M”?

-- hide signature --

. 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 .

Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

while AF time seems to be much faster. Shot to shot time is barely improved. In the video, the eos-m has a 2 second blackout screen while the eos-m2 doesn't black out.. but is frozen for 1.5 seconds....... So they shaved 1 second off of the 3 seconds it takes for the AF + blackout screen?

From 3 to 2 seconds between shots? That's barely an improvement imo. my A57 takes 2 shots per second in its single shooting mode!

Anyways, glad there's a (minor) improvement.

Also from their website:

http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/m2/index.html

it says the kits will be release mid december. That was.. quite a wait..

Catalin Stavaru Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!
7

This seems kind if a joke launch to me. More like EOS M 1.2 with bug fixes than an EOS M2.

So the same DIGIC 5 while they are using DIGIC 6 in lesser cameras like the S120 ?

Same 4 years old 18Mp sensor ?

Same shape with no extra dials ?

This looks to me like a fixed EOS M. No R&D money invested at all.

They are clearly protecting their higher end business.

Hopefully this means the same low prices !

photo nuts Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

while AF time seems to be much faster. Shot to shot time is barely improved. In the video, the eos-m has a 2 second blackout screen while the eos-m2 doesn't black out.. but is frozen for 1.5 seconds....... So they shaved 1 second off of the 3 seconds it takes for the AF + blackout screen?

I am not sure how you tell the EOS-M2 was frozen for 1.5 sec in the video clip.

epozar Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!
1

Minh Ta wrote:

Straight from Canon's website:

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

Key features:

+ 18 MP - ISO 12800 (ext 25600)

+ 2.3x improved in AF. Hybrid CMOS AF II

+ 4.6fps

+ Wifi

Go digging dpreviewers!!!

EVF?

-- hide signature --
buellom Contributing Member • Posts: 524
Re: the lack of sexiness ...

... it astonishing, isn't it? Don't want to say that it's a bad product, but given all the stuff teh competition is offering it this announcement is lame at best.

-- hide signature --

********************
www.freude-am-licht.de
********************

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,486
No Hardware Improvement: should have been release as a FIRMWARE UPGRADE

One of the most disappointing upgrade from canon.  Most of the listed function could have been issue as a simple FIRMWARE UPDATE.  Hardware, its almost the same with the same Digic 5 cpu.

coso dp Forum Member • Posts: 91
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

photo nuts wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

while AF time seems to be much faster. Shot to shot time is barely improved. In the video, the eos-m has a 2 second blackout screen while the eos-m2 doesn't black out.. but is frozen for 1.5 seconds....... So they shaved 1 second off of the 3 seconds it takes for the AF + blackout screen?

I am not sure how you tell the EOS-M2 was frozen for 1.5 sec in the video clip.

You see the girl freeze, and then start moving again (barely)

EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

fredlatchaw wrote:

Minh Ta wrote:

Straight from Canon's website:

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

Key features:

+ 18 MP - ISO 12800 (ext 25600)

+ 2.3x improved in AF. Hybrid CMOS AF II

+ 4.6fps

+ Wifi

Go digging dpreviewers!!!

Keep the price reasonable and I'll buy one. Or two.

Unlikely what you would think is reasonable. In Japan, its $627 body only, $820 with kit lens.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/03/canon-eos-m2-mirrorless-camera/

 EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
vinrouge0 Regular Member • Posts: 342
Even by their standards..........

Even accepting the usual Canon cautious, incremental approach to upgrades, this is just disappointing. OK, a more upmarket model may come in Jan/Feb, but this is a marketing faux pas!

 vinrouge0's gear list:vinrouge0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

So there's 4 positions on the dial now: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20131203_626013.html

 EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
katy C. Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

Also where have the stereo speakers gone?

They are located on the left on the M

 katy C.'s gear list:katy C.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic GH5 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: EOS M2 has been announced!

katy C. wrote:

Also where have the stereo speakers gone?

They are located on the left on the M

Front. To the left and right of the lens, near the top.

 EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,861
Summary of new features and first impressions
1

For anyone interested, I have summarised the new features and included my take in my blog

http://eos-m.net/news/eos-m2-announced-official/

There are quite a few new things buried in the detail.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +8 more
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,861
How exactly?
2

007peter wrote:

One of the most disappointing upgrade from canon. Most of the listed function could have been issue as a simple FIRMWARE UPDATE. Hardware, its almost the same with the same Digic 5 cpu.

How exactly?

The AF improvements are in part due to a new sensor = hardware

Wi-fi - and usefully EOS Remote support = hardware

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +8 more
EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: Summary of new features and first impressions

Lawrencew wrote:

For anyone interested, I have summarised the new features and included my take in my blog

http://eos-m.net/news/eos-m2-announced-official/

There are quite a few new things buried in the detail.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Lawrence
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

Nice work.

Pricing, for Japan at least, has already been announced. They are at pre-discount M level. Over US$600 for body only.

Other than the faster AF, which I don't care for, there's nothing in the M2 for me that the original M lacks. If I were still sitting on the fence on whether to buy the original M, I would jump on it now.

 EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 5,236
Save your Clams for the EOS-M2 Pro version...
1

One of the most disappointing upgrade from canon. Most of the listed function could have been issue as a simple FIRMWARE UPDATE. Hardware, its almost the same with the same Digic 5 cpu.

I keep saying to people:  Just buy an EOS-M.  It's a great camera and is great value at the moment.  If you can wait for a Pro Version to be released, then by all means do so.  But right now, the EOS-M is the way to go until something better comes along.
.
I see NOTHING in this new EOS-M2 that makes me want to even consider upgrading.  In fact, it brought a smile to my face when I read the specs.

.

Save your clams for an EOS-M Pro1.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +15 more
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,861
Re: Summary of new features and first impressions

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Nice work.

Pricing, for Japan at least, has already been announced. They are at pre-discount M level. Over US$600 for body only.

Other than the faster AF, which I don't care for, there's nothing in the M2 for me that the original M lacks. If I were still sitting on the fence on whether to buy the original M, I would jump on it now.

Thanks for that.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads