OT: Finally a web site

Started Dec 1, 2013 | Discussions
Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390
Re: OT: Finally a web site

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

The layout is good and the photos are excellent. I particularly liked the Pasque Flowers.

Thanks Leif, I'm glad you enjoyed the images. The layout is a compromise between me and the primitive web editing programme that wouldn't let me do what I really wanted. But I think it turned out OK in the end.

Just out of curiousity and totally off topic: Your first name is very Scandinavian (or even Swedish – the Icelandic and Norwegian versions are slightly different). What's the story behind it?

Regards
Lasse

I was named after a Norwegian friend of the family, despite being English. Oddly enough my brother, also English, lives on a Swedish speaking Finnish island, and now speaks English with a strange accent.

I do find it strange how a people who were renowned as skilled seafarers and blood thirsty warriors have transformed into makers of surprisingly good value and stylish furniture. Perhaps they realised that self assembly furniture was far more frightening.

Åland?

Yes.

Ha ha, good story, I'm glad I asked the question.

Don't forget that most of the vikings were peaceful peasants, not blood thirsty at all. In the dark winter months, they were probably busy assembling furniture. It took some time, because they could never find the proper hex keys.

Maybe that's why they were so angry ...

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
Lasse Eisele
OP Lasse Eisele Senior Member • Posts: 1,876

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

The layout is good and the photos are excellent. I particularly liked the Pasque Flowers.

Thanks Leif, I'm glad you enjoyed the images. The layout is a compromise between me and the primitive web editing programme that wouldn't let me do what I really wanted. But I think it turned out OK in the end.

Just out of curiousity and totally off topic: Your first name is very Scandinavian (or even Swedish – the Icelandic and Norwegian versions are slightly different). What's the story behind it?

Regards
Lasse

I was named after a Norwegian friend of the family, despite being English. Oddly enough my brother, also English, lives on a Swedish speaking Finnish island, and now speaks English with a strange accent.

I do find it strange how a people who were renowned as skilled seafarers and blood thirsty warriors have transformed into makers of surprisingly good value and stylish furniture. Perhaps they realised that self assembly furniture was far more frightening.

Åland?

Yes.

Ha ha, good story, I'm glad I asked the question.

Don't forget that most of the vikings were peaceful peasants, not blood thirsty at all. In the dark winter months, they were probably busy assembling furniture. It took some time, because they could never find the proper hex keys.

Maybe that's why they were so angry ...

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,986

Lasse Eisele wrote:

I've been thinking of getting my own web site for several years. Just for fun, to display my pictures. Now it has finally become reality. Of course, I'm a total beginner at web design, so I decided to keep it simple. Feel free to have a look and tell me what you think.

http://lasseeisele.com/

It's in Swedish, but I don't think you need to understand the words. Here's a quick translation of the categories:

Bilder = Images
Träd = Trees
Fjäll = The mountainous area in Swedish Lapland where I go hiking for a couple of weeks every year
Blommor = Flowers
Island = Iceland (one of my favourite countries to visit)
Hav och sjö = Sea and lake
Abstrakt = Abstract (but my images are rather semi-abstract)
Eskilstuna = My home town, 100 km west of Stockholm
Gotland = A Swedish island in the Baltic Sea
Skåne = The southernmost region in Sweden where I spent my first 30 years
Blandat = Miscellaneous

Regards
Lasse

Looks very good, Lasse.

Lasse Eisele

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Rolf_52 Contributing Member • Posts: 541

Lasse Eisele wrote:

I've been thinking of getting my own web site for several years. Just for fun, to display my pictures. Now it has finally become reality. Of course, I'm a total beginner at web design, so I decided to keep it simple. Feel free to have a look and tell me what you think.

http://lasseeisele.com/

It's in Swedish, but I don't think you need to understand the words. Here's a quick translation of the categories:

Bilder = Images
Träd = Trees
Fjäll = The mountainous area in Swedish Lapland where I go hiking for a couple of weeks every year
Blommor = Flowers
Island = Iceland (one of my favourite countries to visit)
Hav och sjö = Sea and lake
Abstrakt = Abstract (but my images are rather semi-abstract)
Eskilstuna = My home town, 100 km west of Stockholm
Gotland = A Swedish island in the Baltic Sea
Skåne = The southernmost region in Sweden where I spent my first 30 years
Blandat = Miscellaneous

Regards
Lasse

Congratulations to amazing images Lasse...and a very very nice website...really impressive webdiesign given your lack of previous experience....what software did you use?

Rolf

Rolf_52's gear list:Rolf_52's gear list
Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,258
Bravo

Fine site and excellent photos. Congratulations.

regards

Raul

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

baloo_buc Veteran Member • Posts: 9,803
 baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 8,865

Lasse Eisele wrote:

I like the photography a lot. The site looks clean and simple, which is a good thing - but the interface? I found it very unintuitive, I clicked on images and seemed to go someplace else - very confusing. Using your name at the top of the page as an email link seems and odd choice too. I'd prefer to see a contact area rather than click the name expecting to get to the Hem page only to find I jump to my email prog.

I'm not sure what you want to achieve with the site, but I'd expect it to receive a wider audience if you include an English translation of the OM page down at the bottom.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

Lasse Eisele

Rolf_52 wrote:

Congratulations to amazing images Lasse...and a very very nice website...really impressive webdiesign given your lack of previous experience....what software did you use?

Rolf

Thanks Rolf! I used the free Web Editor supplied by one.com, my web host. Easy to use, but very limited funcionality.

-- hide signature --
Lasse Eisele
Re: Bravo

Raul wrote:

Fine site and excellent photos. Congratulations.

regards

Raul

Thank you Raul!

-- hide signature --
Lasse Eisele

baloo_buc wrote:

There are sites that are nicer but the content is much lower quality.

Thank for sharing those gorgeous photos of places I shall probably never be!

Thank you baloo_buc!

Lasse Eisele

jkjond wrote:

Lasse Eisele wrote:

I like the photography a lot.

Thanks!

The site looks clean and simple, which is a good thing - but the interface? I found it very unintuitive, I clicked on images and seemed to go someplace else - very confusing. Using your name at the top of the page as an email link seems and odd choice too. I'd prefer to see a contact area rather than click the name expecting to get to the Hem page only to find I jump to my email prog.

As I said in another post, the layout (and interface) is a compromise between me and the very basic web editing programme I used. It wouldn't let me do exactly what I wanted. However, the slide show that you found unintuitive is very similar to the slide show functions in Dropbox, SkyDrive, Pbase and a lot of other applications. So, although it's not what I really wanted, I found it acceptable (and you are the first one to complain). Also, it's a little easier for people who understand Swedish. The short text right above the images explains what happens when you click.
I will consider your thoughts about the email link. I have to admit I didn't think much about it when I created it.

I'm not sure what you want to achieve with the site, but I'd expect it to receive a wider audience if you include an English translation of the OM page down at the bottom.

The truth is I'm not really sure what I want to achieve. But of course you're right, I need to include a translation.

Regards
Lasse

-- hide signature --
merops
merops Senior Member • Posts: 2,195

Beautiful photos. Thanks for posting

Lasse Eisele

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
uk_seaodyssey Junior Member • Posts: 26

Great Photos and a clean design. Its giving me some much needed inspiration.

You might want to look to see if you can protect the images.

Peter

zzzorki7 Junior Member • Posts: 25

Your photos are gorgeous!

Site is also very good.

Congratulations!

zzzorki7's gear list:zzzorki7's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon D700 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Jim Trainor Regular Member • Posts: 270
Nice site, beautiful images (n/t)

No text.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Lasse Eisele

uk_seaodyssey wrote:

Great Photos and a clean design. Its giving me some much needed inspiration.

You might want to look to see if you can protect the images.

Peter

Thanks for your kind words! You're right about protection. I guess I will have to put stamps on my images, although I don't really like it. It's a rather time consuming project too.

Regards
Lasse

-- hide signature --
Lasse Eisele

zzzorki7 wrote:

Your photos are gorgeous!

Site is also very good.

Congratulations!

Thank you very much!

-- hide signature --