S110/S120, "Kids&Pets" scene alternative?

Started Nov 30, 2013 | Discussions
boogisha Contributing Member • Posts: 588
S110/S120, "Kids&Pets" scene alternative?

I finally got my S120 yesterday, and took it out for a "test ride", bringing it to the concert. I`m very, very pleased with pictures so far (no flash, and from a distance), but something else bugged me - there is no "Kids&Pets" scene mode (also known as "Sports" in older cameras).

I mostly shoot in P mode, or making trips to Av/Tv for some desired result, but when something is important to be shot quickly, I won`t hesitate to even use "Auto" mode.

At one moment, I wanted to take a picture of my friends jumping, and thought that "Kids&Pets" scene would be the best to catch the fast action in low light environment - yet I was surprised to see that the scene is missing... (needless to say, I`ve missed the shot opportunity, thinking which mode to use).

Reading about it, I see that S110 was also missing this mode, so I thought to open a topic about it, I guess that people have found some workarounds during the past year.

(Q) So, which setting would be the best fit for taking fast motion (sports/kids/pets)? Should I trust the camera and go for "Auto" or P modes, hoping for the best (counting on the camera to read my mind, knowing that fast shutter is needed :P), or should I stick to Tv mode, setting the shutter speed to some low value (fast shutter)?

As a side note, why does Canon keep removing features from its cameras? Not having a "Stitch Assist" (panorama) mode in S120 is ridiculous, while older cameras had much more "scenes" to choose from - Kids&Pets (Sports), Beach, Foliage, Panorama, etc. I understand that cameras are getting smarter, being able to choose the best scene for the shot, but that`s not a reason to restrict the user in using whichever scene he wants, even if it`s a wrong one - it can really help achieving some rather artistic results.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot S120
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dustin78 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: S110/S120, "Kids&Pets" scene alternative?

boogisha, did you ever find a setting for the fast shots? I need to replace my S90 and would like to get a S120, but not having the kids and pets mode could be a deal killer.

OP boogisha Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Re: S110/S120, "Kids&Pets" scene alternative?

Well, using the "Tv" mode seems to be the only viable option - setting shutter speed to 1/160 ~ 1/200 (or faster, if needed - 1/320, 1/400...) works quite well.

As I had time to get used to it, I think I now prefer the way it is ("Tv" instead of "Kids&Pets" mode). It may be a bit hard in the beginning if (1) you`re used to something else and (2) you`re not really that much familiar with using semi-manual or manual modes. But with some practice, the results should be as good or even better, as you`re not relying on the camera to "read your mind" anymore, but setting the shutter speed yourself.

I usually keep "Tv" mode set to 1/200, so when I need "Kids&Pets"-a-like mode, I just switch to it and I`m ready to shoot, without a need to change anything else (which is still an option, if needed). Seems to work well for me

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads