Jared Polin aka "Fro"

Started Nov 29, 2013 | Discussions
bruxi
bruxi Regular Member • Posts: 318
Jared Polin aka "Fro"

Anyone else think that the 'Fro and his podcasts are one of the best things happening out there right now?

Curious how many others on DPR are regular listeners.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM
steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Never heard of him

Maybe if you post a link more people might have a look.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

grumpycat
grumpycat Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Jared Polin aka "Fro"

You mean the gay guy walking around with pink handcuffs on the New York photo exhibition? The funniest moment when he is touching the three legged thing founder nuts!

FinDERP Forum Member • Posts: 56

He's easily one of the most annoying people on youtube, and from what I've seen has little of use to say. So no, sorry!

FinDERP's gear list:FinDERP's gear list
Pentax K-30 +18 more
Cope
Cope Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Re: Never heard of him

steephill wrote:

Maybe if you post a link more people might have a look.

http://froknowsphoto.com/

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
Clueless Wanderer
Clueless Wanderer Senior Member • Posts: 1,243

bruxi wrote:

Anyone else think that the 'Fro and his podcasts are one of the best things happening out there right now?

Curious how many others on DPR are regular listeners.i

I haven't seen his pod casts, but from being a regular to his Youtubing, yes he is awesome.

He Throws a hand full of charisma out there.

My only complaint is that when he sign's off with 'Fro' knowwws, phootto DOT COM' he doesn't always do it with that high pitched super cool whine he has in the past

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +23 more
003tvd Contributing Member • Posts: 935

I'm neither young or cool, so I'm probably not his demographic, but I still really like the guy (to listen to, not so much to watch). His advice seems practical. He's a bit over the top at times, but how else does one get noticed?

003tvd's gear list:003tvd's gear list
Nikon 1 J5
Clueless Wanderer

003tvd wrote:

I'm neither young or cool, so I'm probably not his demographic, but I still really like the guy (to listen to, not so much to watch). His advice seems practical. He's a bit over the top at times, but how else does one get noticed?

I aint young ..41 this year . And its up to my peers as to whether im cool or not, but if you like fro, then maybe you are cool

-- hide signature --
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +23 more
cheapguy Junior Member • Posts: 43

just my opinion, AdoramaTV has GREAT stuff.  Gear reviews, instructionals, etc.

bruxi
OP bruxi Regular Member • Posts: 318

FinDERP wrote:

He's easily one of the most annoying people on youtube, and from what I've seen has little of use to say. So no, sorry!

I can understand the annoying part, but disagree that he has little of use to say.  His podcasts are better than his youtube vids.  He's got a lot more to teach than you can get on TWIP, Improve Photography etc.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM
karl eller
karl eller Regular Member • Posts: 324

I've tried to like him, because he has a lot of useful information on his YouTube channel... but MY GOD do I find him annoying. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
bruxi
OP bruxi Regular Member • Posts: 318

karl eller wrote:

I've tried to like him, because he has a lot of useful information on his YouTube channel... but MY GOD do I find him annoying. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way.

Yes - I hear you.  I just find every other photography podcast so deathly boring...

JamesErik1971 Regular Member • Posts: 268

bruxi wrote:

karl eller wrote:

Yes - I hear you. I just find every other photography podcast so deathly boring...

what does he photograph? he calls himself a pro, but who are his clients?  he claims to shoot shows, but we all know that's minimum wage.  he is another Eric Kim type.  pied piper n00b hustler.  I think people like polin and Kim are ticks.

JamesErik1971's gear list:JamesErik1971's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +3 more
grumpycat

karl eller wrote:

Yes - I hear you.  I just find every other photography podcast so deathly boring...

look for digitalrev sometimes it's really good!

karl eller
karl eller Regular Member • Posts: 324

grumpycat wrote:

karl eller wrote:

Yes - I hear you. I just find every other photography podcast so deathly boring...

Yep, DigitalRev TV is entertaining, and I'm a bit of a fan of Matt Granger.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010

I watch his videos occasionally but find very little useful information. He seems fairly ignorant technically which leaves the artistic side of things and I do think he's decent at that.

I find his tendency to talk about products he hasn't used to be a bit weird though.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R II Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
grumpycat

I watch his videos occasionally but find very little useful information. He seems fairly ignorant technically which leaves the artistic side of things and I do think he's decent at that.

I find his tendency to talk about products he hasn't used to be a bit weird though.

also he is using an intern or probably boyfriend to read the technical specs from a sheet.. very amateurish!

Clueless Wanderer

karl eller wrote:

grumpycat wrote:

karl eller wrote:

I like Matt Grainger he is sort of understated cool ..rather than  'In your face' cool that fro can be

-- hide signature --
GRphotos
GRphotos Forum Member • Posts: 53

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

karl eller wrote:

grumpycat wrote:

karl eller wrote:

I like Matt Grainger he is sort of understated cool ..rather than 'In your face' cool that fro can be

I love Jarred's videos, he is not fake about anything, i noticed that he does not block anyone for been rude,

ive noticed dozens of ppl been blocked from youtube for insulting these guys like Matt Grainger or philip bloom for saying anything silly or been rude, one time someone started a rant about matt saying he has a huge kangeroo a55 and a fake  wife/hooker he hires for his show, as well as a chip on his shoulder about americans and dozens of ppl got blocked, i noticed same with Phil Bloom and this orther guy with white hair with a pretty wife, for phil allot ppl told him off saying he sold out on contract with canon to promote their C line and ignore magic lantern and the 5d3 with 4k which was the very reason that helped him make a name, Phil even wrote a long letter to everyone about it, very sensitive person and obviously all artistic ppl are but you dont see this with "digitel rev" or JP's yt channels, they deal with everyone, im sure digital rev are actually a store with a staff and a online army but my point is they deal with others like people's people instead of blocking any criticism like those others, apple discussions, mac rumors, BnH etc and ive read worse things about JP or Digital rev and i think its KAI, one of them cant speak english and they all went on a rant but no one was blocked and it was funny

GRphotos's gear list:GRphotos's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Cope
Cope Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329

grumpycat wrote:

also he is using an intern or probably boyfriend to read the technical specs from a sheet.. very amateurish!

And this is pertinent why?

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads