OK, what do you think of -this- photo?

Started Nov 29, 2013 | Discussions
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,039
OK, what do you think of -this- photo?

Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837
Re: OK, what do you think of -this- photo?

A moody shot due to it's grain but hard to tell what's going on.

I believe to see a bridge and constructionsite (cranes?) as a church and rather obvious a bus.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,499

skanter wrote:

It appears as if it were shot through a dirty window, perhaps a combination of grit and/or inclement weather, i.e., snow, to impart a gritty mood of tough times and conditions around a construction site........

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 597

I can't really make out what's happening.  Is it a composite?  Is it something of historical significance, like the bombing os Dresden?

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-T10 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
BubbaHotepUK Regular Member • Posts: 471

It's fascinating how people "see" photos.  I was immediately struck by a mood of nostalgia. soaking up the atmosphere and viewpoint.  I then the thought that there could be some heavy photoshop work on it.  Never occurred to me to interpret what actually I'm looking at in a literal sense, which I think is the strength of this photo (IMHO).

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +6 more
Buchanan Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

mikero wrote:

I can't really make out what's happening. Is it a composite? Is it something of historical significance, like the bombing os Dresden?

Mike

I too thought of the WWII bombing of Germany but then noticed the bus.

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 70D +15 more
Mattoid Regular Member • Posts: 340

It makes me think, what is that?  looks like the 40s or 50s on a smoggy night in a city somewhere. I notice the church which looks gothic and makes me think its an industrial europian city, and then notice the bus which looks like its from the 50s usa.  I am aware of the construction work of some type but I can't make out what it is or what's happening so I loose interest. All this happens in 5 to 10 seconds.     If there was some context to it, I may be inclined to give it longer.

911Tyson1 Regular Member • Posts: 274
crap

skanter wrote:

inkblot
inkblot Regular Member • Posts: 196

It looks like it was shot through a dirty glass. I don't think the actual conditions were that bad in the actual scene, it's probably the dirty glass that makes the picture appear like it was in a harsh environment. Not really my style, but it's still interesting.

ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 1,882
Agreed/

I like this image a lot.  It awakens a sense of nostalgia in me too. I think many people are so focussed on getting images that are technically perfect they completely forget that a photograph that is technically perfect but that has no emotional significance is usually a boring photograph, whereas many interesting and memorable photographs aren't even close to being technically perfect.   But then this forum is about gear more than anything else.  Really nice bit of work, wish any of mine were as good.  Congratulations.

Peter

ppage's gear list:ppage's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

Coming from an industrial area that used to be one of the most polluted areas in UK if not Europe, I used to play as a child & travel to from work in conditions like that every day. [cold damp & with massive air pollution] Not pleasant memories for me I'm afraid.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,131
I like it.

No text.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,359

I like it, it has mood and feeling. sadly most people on this forum are techos who pixel peep and delete any image that is not technically perfect. Just because modern lenses can take very sharp images doesn't mean they have to be sharp. Also whites can be burned out and there can be no shadow detail if you want. We didn't worry nabout these things so much with negatives and silver halides, but now sadly a lot of camera users (I use the description specifically) have no idea of what an artistic photo contains.

I like this image as it stands.

skanter wrote:

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,359
Re: crap

911Tyson1 wrote:

skanter wrote:

Someone who doesn't understand photography. He's probably a Sony owner!

skanter
OP skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,039
Photographer revealed

This is one of mine, take a few years back. It was a huge blizzard here in NYC. I took this of the almost deserted road leading to the Midtown Tunnel, with a church in the foreground - only a solitary bus on a road usually filled with traffic.

The result reminded me of old noir photos of the 30s and 40s, like the cover of a mystery novel. I PP out a lot of modern signs, and some distracting lights and objects.

The result is one of my personal favorites, one of the few hanging on my wall and the walls of many others who wanted it. An editor of Aperture Magazine saw it, said she loved it and said it reminded her of an Edward Steichen photo, but unfortunately it was not published in Aperture to my disappointment.

It's interesting to me that many posters need to know exactly "what it is", "what's going on",  instead of letting the photo evoke a feeling or emotion. in any case, together with the Saul Leiter photo thread, a fascinating experiment. Thanks for participating...

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,688
Re: Photographer revealed

This has a great composition and mood.  It tells a story and makes me want to look at everything in the image.  The mood aspect might be a bit much for some taste, mine included.  I would have preferred a bit more detail.  If this was mine, I would be upset about the camera shake.  I don't think that adds to the mood.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837

Sam keep them coming.

Got some more?

We're talking photo's not gear

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
steve88 Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Interesting Photo

skanter wrote:

This is one of mine, take a few years back. It was a huge blizzard here in NYC. I took this of the almost deserted road leading to the Midtown Tunnel, with a church in the foreground - only a solitary bus on a road usually filled with traffic.

The result reminded me of old noir photos of the 30s and 40s, like the cover of a mystery novel. I PP out a lot of modern signs, and some distracting lights and objects.

The result is one of my personal favorites, one of the few hanging on my wall and the walls of many others who wanted it. An editor of Aperture Magazine saw it, said she loved it and said it reminded her of an Edward Steichen photo, but unfortunately it was not published in Aperture to my disappointment.

It's interesting to me that many posters need to know exactly "what it is", "what's going on", instead of letting the photo evoke a feeling or emotion. in any case, together with the Saul Leiter photo thread, a fascinating experiment. Thanks for participating...

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

On the one hand, I get an impending sense of doom seeing a bus going down a snowy hill at night.  Think of all the bad things that can happen there.  But on the other hand, the church in the foreground almost creates a sense of security and assuredness that the bus will somehow be safe from any disaster.

Overall, when I look at this photo, I feel glad that I'm somewhere warm, safe, and dry.  It looks cold, lonely, and potentially very dangerous with the bus descending a slick, snowy hill at night.

Thanks for the little social experiment you conducted with this thread and the other one.  I read Saul Leiter's obit in the NY Times and I have to say I'm a bit shocked that I never heard of him before and that more of his work wasn't published.  Sounds like he was quite the revolutionary when it came to street photography.  It's sad that he didn't get more of the recognition he deserved.

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 5,596

I love the industrialized look that could have come from any place or time -- except for the bus. I think the photo would be much better without the bus, which dates and locates the photo

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Thorbard Contributing Member • Posts: 689

skanter wrote:

It's interesting to me that many posters need to know exactly "what it is", "what's going on", instead of letting the photo evoke a feeling or emotion. in any case, together with the Saul Leiter photo thread, a fascinating experiment. Thanks for participating...

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

An interesting photo indeed, nice to see your thoughts and inspiration behind it.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads