Anyone for separate FF & APSc DPR forums?

Started Nov 25, 2013 | Discussions
1prime Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Anyone for separate FF & APSc DPR forums?

We've just about exhausted a lively interchange between FF & APSc advocates.  At risk are some recognized solid DPR contributors.  That thread is almost concluding, I think, before we start throwing our cameras at each other!

So I'm throwing out an old proposal: Please DPR, separate us.  Give the relatively new to A7&r, enthusiastic FFers their own forum so they can learn about their new systems.  Hey, I understand how they want to preen over their A7r's treatment of eyes.  "Eye" would too if I ponied up a couple of grand or more. The A7&r are great Sony developments, but they're not for everyone.

At the same time, some of us orphaned Sony NEXers want to communicate and learn more about our systems without being continually put down.  We'd like our thoughts and questions to carry for a few minutes on DPR before plummeting off the page with FF posts.  It's been suggested we post some pics, only to watch our lesser MPed pics plummet to the bottom for a similar cause.

So DPReview, why don't you review your decision to keep us together? I initially saw your and Sony's logic that we NEXers might, and many did, jump to the new A7&r. But at this point, I really think most of us have made our decision whether to go FF or remain with our NEX systems. I respectfully recommend we have 2 forums, one for FF and one for NEX.

-- hide signature --

1prime

Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,892
Re: Anyone for separate FF & APSc DPR forums?

Yes please!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 20,560

No.

There is not enough difference between the NEX cameras and the A7(r) to justify two forums, in my opinion.

OP 1prime Senior Member • Posts: 1,108

D Cox wrote:

No.

There is not enough difference between the NEX cameras and the A7(r) to justify two forums, in my opinion.

I see your point, but did you consider the differences in DPR posts don't merely lie in the technical subtleties you mention. The sometimes contentious and often misunderstood posts for both the FF and APSc advocates actually reflect different interests and problems.

It's been my recent perception that I just don't have any interest in the A7&r posts except that they represent new problems that don't apply to my NEX shooting. And their problems are not my NEX ones. I respect your substantial photographic experience, but I still rely on the experience of fellow NEXers. And as I stated, APSc queries rapidly fall off the forum page since new FF posts now quickly supersede them.  This is not to say there aren't sufficient NEX posts to justify a NEX Forum.  Of course there are, but I can tell you that I for one feel pretty much snuffed out by the FF enthusiasm, and I think it's Sony's intention to keep revving up this excitement.  I don't think I'm alone in thinking an APSc forum would be justified. I wonder how others feel.

herculeshs20
herculeshs20 Regular Member • Posts: 104

Absolutely - we NEXers have been crowded out.

-- hide signature --

John

herculeshs20's gear list:herculeshs20's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
edwardaneal
edwardaneal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,101
no

I want all e-mount cameras to be in a single forum - I am selfish and I dont want to have to be surfing between two different forums when I am curious about some e-mount lens that works on both full frame and APS-c cameras

personally I think the commonality of the lenses the cameras use is more important than the sensor size

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
areichow Senior Member • Posts: 1,585

No. Still no.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony Alpha a7
Re: no

edwardaneal wrote:

I want all e-mount cameras to be in a single forum - I am selfish and I dont want to have to be surfing between two different forums when I am curious about some e-mount lens that works on both full frame and APS-c cameras

personally I think the commonality of the lenses the cameras use is more important than the sensor size

Well, it seems that lens commonality is a temporary issue until Sony sees fit to produce more specific lenses for their new FF Alphas.  I assume you are aware of that.  And most of the E lens info has already been posted. As well as any two way working E lens will assuredly be posted in a FF forum.  If you need to periodically surf, it shouldn't be that troublesome for you to go to the APSc forum for that info.  At least you'd be looking for something specific.

If you consider your statement from our perspective, instead of specific "surfing" we are bombarded every day with FF posts that override and often attack our point of APSc view. Most of us NEXers just want to survive in our old thread. Do some surfing here for yourself, and you'll readily find what I'm referring to.  Enjoy your new FF.

Please post your system

areichow wrote:

No. Still no.

I think it would clarify things some if posters would indicate which system, FF or NEX, that they intend to or now shoot with.

edwardaneal
edwardaneal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,101

1prime wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Well, it seems that lens commonality is a temporary issue until Sony sees fit to produce more specific lenses for their new FF Alphas. I assume you are aware of that. And most of the E lens info has already been posted. As well as any two way working E lens will assuredly be posted in a FF forum. If you need to periodically surf, it shouldn't be that troublesome for you to go to the APSc forum for that info. At least you'd be looking for something specific.

If you consider your statement from our perspective, instead of specific "surfing" we are bombarded every day with FF posts that override and often attack our point of APSc view. Most of us NEXers just want to survive in our old thread. Do some surfing here for yourself, and you'll readily find what I'm referring to. Enjoy your new FF.

just to make it clear to you - I shoot and NEX-7 with a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and an NEX-5 with an 18-55

I have no intention of buying a new camera until my NEX-7 dies and even thin it will most likely not be FF

as a side note - what to you mean "consider your statement from our perspective" I have been on this forum far longer than you and I have most likely been shooting with APS-c sensor cameras far longer than you

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
shaolin95
shaolin95 Senior Member • Posts: 1,889
Re: Please post your system

Whats the point of separating them? Lately we get more m4/3 posts here than APS-C related and is not even a Sony thing...so I dont think it will do anything lol

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2650 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +17 more
Re: Please post your system

shaolin95 wrote:

Whats the point of separating them? Lately we get more m4/3 posts here than APS-C related and is not even a Sony thing...so I dont think it will do anything lol

Might you follow the heading and post your system.  If you're a FFer, your post makes sense. If an APSc, you're missing the point.

SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,762

I can't see any reason that APS-C camera owners should feel threatened by FF - it's only natural that A7/A7R threads are taking over at the moment simply because the product is new and is attracting interest from those who aren't regular visitors to the e-mount (NEX) forum. Hopefully this initial flurry of A7/A7R posts will gradually subside and things will return to a form of 'normal'.

I look forward to seeing lots of great photos from the 2 new cameras (maybe even with lenses that I actually own or am ever likely to get); precious little so far, but plenty of comparisons and arguing.

At this time, I'm tempted to agree that a separate forum would be good just to get away from this stuff...

but this can't go on forever (I hope).

Peace

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more

edwardaneal wrote:

1prime wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Well, it seems that lens commonality is a temporary issue until Sony sees fit to produce more specific lenses for their new FF Alphas. I assume you are aware of that. And most of the E lens info has already been posted. As well as any two way working E lens will assuredly be posted in a FF forum. If you need to periodically surf, it shouldn't be that troublesome for you to go to the APSc forum for that info. At least you'd be looking for something specific.

If you consider your statement from our perspective, instead of specific "surfing" we are bombarded every day with FF posts that override and often attack our point of APSc view. Most of us NEXers just want to survive in our old thread. Do some surfing here for yourself, and you'll readily find what I'm referring to. Enjoy your new FF.

just to make it clear to you - I shoot and NEX-7 with a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and an NEX-5 with an 18-55

I have no intention of buying a new camera until my NEX-7 dies and even thin it will most likely not be FF

as a side note - what to you mean "consider your statement from our perspective" I have been on this forum far longer than you and I have most likely been shooting with APS-c sensor cameras far longer than you

You have vastly more photographic experience than me, and I tried earlier to acknowledge that. While I respect your position here, I disagree in that this forum has just tilted too far to one side. At least that's my view. I look forward to reading your NEX insights. Thanks for replying. Don

Vinter
Vinter Regular Member • Posts: 309

I wouldn't mind it going forward my main interest will concern legacy lenses on the A7r, and other related things to FF e mount. I'd prefer avoiding having to sift through posts.
--
www.joshsouzaphotos.com

Vinter's gear list:Vinter's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha a7S Sony a99 II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +16 more
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,184
Nope -- too much overlap. NT
-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

sroute Senior Member • Posts: 2,497

herculeshs20 wrote:

Absolutely - we NEXers have been crowded out.

When the NEX-7 started to be talked about and then endless speculation and worry over the tragic floods in Thailand pushed NEX-C3 and NEX-5N discussion off the page, did you folks call for a separate NEX-7 sub-forum?

It's new camera forum syndrome here all over again and will happen whenever any big new step is taken by the maker. Just wait for the NEXt 'nex-like' camera to show up and the sub-forum will be swooning over that.

Probably the new APS-C cameras will have a lot in common (like menu systems, and the E mount which certainly does tie the two together) with the A7 cameras; separating them doesn't make a lot of sense other than mere short term inconvenience.

I vote no.

Actually what I vote no to is more discussions of creating a new forum.

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,415
re: indeed NO = a bad idea :(

D Cox wrote:

No.

there was already enough damage done when the RX-1 got relegated to the P&S forum pretty soon after its release !

jpr2

Riquez
Riquez Contributing Member • Posts: 923

I think its best to just leave it. For one 'NEX' as it is now is discontinued & there will be new cameras without that name coming later. + with new menu systems too.

Although of course plenty of people will still be using their NEX models for years to come.

Once the NEX APS replacement cameras come - if they do - then I am sure this forum will be ablaze with APSC comments & the FF'ers will be asking about a new forum

Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,477

1prime wrote:

We've just about exhausted a lively interchange between FF & APSc advocates. At risk are some recognized solid DPR contributors. That thread is almost concluding, I think, before we start throwing our cameras at each other!

So I'm throwing out an old proposal: Please DPR, separate us. Give the relatively new to A7&r, enthusiastic FFers their own forum so they can learn about their new systems. Hey, I understand how they want to preen over their A7r's treatment of eyes. "Eye" would too if I ponied up a couple of grand or more. The A7&r are great Sony developments, but they're not for everyone.

At the same time, some of us orphaned Sony NEXers want to communicate and learn more about our systems without being continually put down. We'd like our thoughts and questions to carry for a few minutes on DPR before plummeting off the page with FF posts. It's been suggested we post some pics, only to watch our lesser MPed pics plummet to the bottom for a similar cause.

So DPReview, why don't you review your decision to keep us together? I initially saw your and Sony's logic that we NEXers might, and many did, jump to the new A7&r. But at this point, I really think most of us have made our decision whether to go FF or remain with our NEX systems. I respectfully recommend we have 2 forums, one for FF and one for NEX.

Yes, I agree - FF and APS-C for Sony makes sense. But it would make for four Sony forums:

• A-mount/APS-C (SLT)
  • E-mount/APS-C (Nex)

and

• A-mount/FF (A99 and new A-FF cameras)
  • E-mount/FF (A7/r - possibly move RX1/R here too?)

Additionally, I vote for one more option:

move all comparison posts to a 'comparison forum'. Have an autobot pick up threads that start comparisons and move them automatically.

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads