Started Nov 24, 2013 | Discussions
jjsterling Forum Member • Posts: 52
Test of D600 from Cameta

Anybody test their D600 they got from Cameta in the last week

I see one person has spots

-- hide signature --

++

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP jjsterling Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: Test of D600 from Cameta

Well I got my D600 ( serial # 300xxxx - 687 shutters) from Cameta Camera yesterday 12/3/13 with the recent $1299 pricing and it has over 25 spots that I can see at f/22 at 200mm with my 70-200 and yes of blue sky

Now I wonder if I should call up Nikon and send it to them for cleaning or replacement or Cameta

I guess they never refurbished as the outside of the pretty Nikon box indicates . A little  misleading wouldn't you say.

I don't want to spend the time wet cleaning it, never done it before and I don't think I should  have to since it is suppose to have come clean to start.

I  wonder who I would return it to if I so desire. Nikon or Cameta.

++++++++++++++++++++

TwistaCatz
TwistaCatz Regular Member • Posts: 144

I got mine earlier this week and the sensor was so dirty I was really blown away. The serial number was 302xxxx and my shutter count was well over 9k. I was upset about it for a while but then I got over it went down to the camera store and got some swabs and cleaned the sensor myself. It's really an easy process and at the end of the day I figure I'll have to clean it more down the line so why not get started now. I also have a slight spot on VF that I'm trying to get rid of. Beyond that it seems fine.

I would return the camera but I don't believe Cameta is running the promotion anymore. Also I've read that at 10k the camera gets better in regards to the oil issue. Anyways I would keep it and just get over the spots and clean them yourself.

Here is what mine looked like out of the box. (ignore that black bar and red line, the nef converter did that). Also when I actually flipped the mirror and looked at the sensor it looked like it had a smear on it, which is what you see in the bottom right of the picture. A few swipes with the sensor swabs and its completely clean.

TwistaCatz's gear list:TwistaCatz's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
JF69 Contributing Member • Posts: 858
why do you trust Cameta?

There is enough proof of Cameta's shady practises already, including but not limited to shilling their own ebay "auctions", claiming "refurbished" when it is not, etc.

I also don't buy into the apologetic people's excuse of "they accept returns"; of course they should accept returns, given all these silly practises going on. They then sell it to the next person in line, probably adding "thoroughly tested" to the description.

JF69's gear list:JF69's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 +8 more
Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390

jjsterling wrote:

Well I got my D600 ( serial # 300xxxx - 687 shutters) from Cameta Camera yesterday 12/3/13 with the recent $1299 pricing and it has over 25 spots that I can see at f/22 at 200mm with my 70-200 and yes of blue sky

Now I wonder if I should call up Nikon and send it to them for cleaning or replacement or Cameta

I guess they never refurbished as the outside of the pretty Nikon box indicates . A little misleading wouldn't you say.

I don't want to spend the time wet cleaning it, never done it before and I don't think I should have to since it is suppose to have come clean to start.

I wonder who I would return it to if I so desire. Nikon or Cameta.

++++++++++++++++++++

Get yourself a (clean) brush, and dust if off yourself. Fingers crossed it is dust, or small particles, not oil.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Malangbaba Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: why do you trust Cameta?

JF69 wrote:

There is enough proof of Cameta's shady practises already, including but not limited to shilling their own ebay "auctions", claiming "refurbished" when it is not, etc.

I also don't buy into the apologetic people's excuse of "they accept returns"; of course they should accept returns, given all these silly practises going on. They then sell it to the next person in line, probably adding "thoroughly tested" to the description.

Interesting observation JF69. If this is really their practice of selling returned defective items to other buyers, don't you think the new buyers will also return them?  By the way, I have been buying photographic equipment from Cameta for the past 12 years and never had a problem. That includes both new and refurbished.

Sam

low3llSD Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: why do you trust Cameta?

Send it nikon. They're actually pretty fast.

low3llSD's gear list:low3llSD's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +4 more
lera ion Regular Member • Posts: 158

TwistaCatz wrote:

I got mine earlier this week and the sensor was so dirty I was really blown away. The serial number was 302xxxx and my shutter count was well over 9k. I was upset about it for a while but then I got over it went down to the camera store and got some swabs and cleaned the sensor myself. It's really an easy process and at the end of the day I figure I'll have to clean it more down the line so why not get started now. I also have a slight spot on VF that I'm trying to get rid of. Beyond that it seems fine.

I would return the camera but I don't believe Cameta is running the promotion anymore. Also I've read that at 10k the camera gets better in regards to the oil issue. Anyways I would keep it and just get over the spots and clean them yourself.

Here is what mine looked like out of the box. (ignore that black bar and red line, the nef converter did that). Also when I actually flipped the mirror and looked at the sensor it looked like it had a smear on it, which is what you see in the bottom right of the picture. A few swipes with the sensor swabs and its completely clean.

How miserable...sorry, no find other right words. D600 is for sacrifice!

lera ion's gear list:lera ion's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +1 more
Josh152 Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

jjsterling wrote:

I guess they never refurbished as the outside of the pretty Nikon box indicates . A little misleading wouldn't you say.

I don't want to spend the time wet cleaning it, never done it before and I don't think I should have to since it is suppose to have come clean to start.

++++++++++++++++++++

If it is a refurb you have a 90 day Nikon warranty.  Just send it the to them and they will likely clean it and replace the shutter with one that doesn't spew crap all over the sensor.

Devendra
Devendra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
did you read the reply or only responded to the image? (nt)

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Re: did you read the reply or only responded to the image? (nt)

Devendra wrote:

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

Only spots on image. This is not possible. A picture is worth a thousand word! Sorry!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +1 more
JF69 Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Easy to explain Sam……

Malangbaba wrote:

JF69 wrote:

Interesting observation JF69. If this is really their practice of selling returned defective items to other buyers, don't you think the new buyers will also return them?

……I'll even spell it out slowly: no, not all new buyers will return them (far less in fact; the vast majority of buyers are far from "advanced/knowledgeble amateurs"), Cameta will find a final buyer within the 1st or 2nd sale.

JF69's gear list:JF69's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 +8 more
Efner Forum Member • Posts: 69

Josh152 wrote:

jjsterling wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++

If it is a refurb you have a 90 day Nikon warranty. Just send it the to them and they will likely clean it and replace the shutter with one that doesn't spew crap all over the sensor.

If you send it back to Nikon,does that re-start the 90 day warranty period???

Efner's gear list:Efner's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D810 Nikon D750
Re: Easy to explain Sam……

JF69 wrote:

Malangbaba wrote:

JF69 wrote:

Interesting observation JF69. If this is really their practice of selling returned defective items to other buyers, don't you think the new buyers will also return them?

……I'll even spell it out slowly: no, not all new buyers will return them (far less in fact; the vast majority of buyers are far from "advanced/knowledgeble amateurs"), Cameta will find a final buyer within the 1st or 2nd sale.

Would it not be better if you did not make loads of assumptions, but rather consider the far more likely scenario that it is just a bit of dirt which is easily wiped off with a clean brush. There are plenty of testimonials from Nikon and Canon users of receiving other camera models with dirty sensor covers.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
TwistaCatz

lera ion wrote:

Devendra wrote:

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

Only spots on image. This is not possible. A picture is worth a thousand word! Sorry!

I'm not sure what you mean?

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more

TwistaCatz wrote:

lera ion wrote:

Devendra wrote:

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

D600 is not OK, lose oll oil. Nothing to do. Thanks.

TwistaCatz

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

lera ion wrote:

Devendra wrote:

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

It's really not that serious. Here is a simple solution, clean the oil.

TwistaCatz wrote:

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

lera ion wrote:

Devendra wrote:

lera ion wrote:

TwistaCatz wrote:

It's really not that serious. Here is a simple solution, clean the oil.

I don't think that is oil spots. It looks as if an idiot has smeared contaminant on the sensor cover glass, perhaps as a result of a botched attempt to clean it using an impure solvent. I am glad to hear that the poster had the sense to simply wet clean it, and not waste his time sending it back.

-- hide signature --

Alan Brown
Alan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 5,466
apparently, yes

Efner wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

jjsterling wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++

If it is a refurb you have a 90 day Nikon warranty. Just send it the to them and they will likely clean it and replace the shutter with one that doesn't spew crap all over the sensor.

If you send it back to Nikon,does that re-start the 90 day warranty period???

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Alpha Tech Regular Member • Posts: 406

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Get yourself a (clean) brush, and dust if off yourself. Fingers crossed it is dust, or small particles, not oil.

I recommend waiting until the OP has a confirmation that is not an oil spot in the posted image. If oil is on the sensor, a brush could make the issue worse and lead to sensor damage with scratches. I have one of the expensive, battery operated Visible Dust brushes which I stopped using on Nikon cameras after the D300. There is too much risk of oil splatter with models from the D3 and onward. The oil can be transferred to the brush. There is no easy method of cleaning the brush after that occurs.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads