Olympus PEN F lenses on A7/R?

Started Nov 24, 2013 | Discussions
Rick V Regular Member • Posts: 122
Olympus PEN F lenses on A7/R?

Has anybody seen anything on the web where someone has tried Oly PEN F lenses on the new SONY FF camera's? A lot of talk on here about RF lenses on the A7/R because of the amazing IQ on NEX camera's AND their diminutive size being great fit on the small form factor of the NEX. The Oly PEN F series are just as diminutive and are classic, well regarded lenses by many. I know a lot of people here have the Oly PEN F series lenses for their NEX's, and I assume there is a subset of those people who may have or are thinking of purchasing an A7/R. Anybody have any links or thoughts on the matter?

(disclosure: yes, I have a few Oly PEN F lenses so I'm REALLY curious!!    )

Rick

Rick V's gear list:Rick V's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ebrandon Regular Member • Posts: 459
Re: Olympus PEN F lenses on A7/R?

Here you go. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/550291-post288.html

Later on in the thread he mentions that the 60mm, 70mm, 100mm, and 150mm are all fine.

No one, as far as I know, has yet tested any of the 25mm lenses.

ebrandon's gear list:ebrandon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D600 Canon EOS 6D +2 more
Claire Dupuis Senior Member • Posts: 1,917

And thank you for this !! I was in the belief that my beloved 38/1.8 would severely vignette on FF, not so at all !! This great news, thanks a lot !

-- hide signature --

'I guess if everybody went crazy together nobody would notice, what do you think ?'

OP Rick V Regular Member • Posts: 122

ebrandon wrote:

Later on in the thread he mentions that the 60mm, 70mm, 100mm, and 150mm are all fine.

Thank you sir! I figured there would be some vignetting but I also thought it would be across the whole FL range of the PEN F series. Anyone care to explain why the longer lenses don't exhibit much vignetting, since they are all 1/2 frame lenses? Sorry, but I'm a physics/optical engineering illiterate!

Rick

Rick V's gear list:Rick V's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157

Rick V wrote:

ebrandon wrote:

Thank you sir! I figured there would be some vignetting but I also thought it would be across the whole FL range of the PEN F series. Anyone care to explain why the longer lenses don't exhibit much vignetting, since they are all 1/2 frame lenses? Sorry, but I'm a physics/optical engineering illiterate!

Rick

Longer lenses are mostly driven by front element size rather than rear element size, i.e. longer lenses are more driven by focal length and aperture than image format size.  Some of the internal focusing ones might be more problematic, but an old lens like this generally does fine with a larger format.

I will point out that field curvature is very severe on APS-C frame with the 38mm f/1.8, so it will likely be much worse on full frame.

I will try my 40mm f/1.4 on my test chart when I get my A7.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
zink
zink Contributing Member • Posts: 582

ebrandon wrote:

That 60/1.5 looks great.

zink's gear list:zink's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Hurricane84 New Member • Posts: 1

I tried my Olympus Pen F 38mm f1.8 lens on my Sony A7. I would say it covers the full frame sensor quite well. Only slightly Vignetting when you focus from 5m to infinite. With focus within 5m basically you don't need any post-processing. Check my sample photo here (no cropping)

Sony A7 + Olympus Pen F 38mm f.18 (no cropping)

Moreover, it's a really nice and lightweight combination.

A nice and lightweight combination!

You can find More Sony A7 + Olympus 38 1.8 pics from my flickr

I don't have any other PEN lens like olympus 40 1.4 to test with. But I'm quite curious to know how olympus pen 40 1.4 works with sony a7

Jo-So New Member • Posts: 2

Rick V wrote:

Has anybody seen anything on the web where someone has tried Oly PEN F lenses on the new SONY FF camera's? A lot of talk on here about RF lenses on the A7/R because of the amazing IQ on NEX camera's AND their diminutive size being great fit on the small form factor of the NEX. The Oly PEN F series are just as diminutive and are classic, well regarded lenses by many. I know a lot of people here have the Oly PEN F series lenses for their NEX's, and I assume there is a subset of those people who may have or are thinking of purchasing an A7/R. Anybody have any links or thoughts on the matter?

(disclosure: yes, I have a few Oly PEN F lenses so I'm REALLY curious!! )

Rick

What are RF lenses actually? Google only gives me links to new 2018 Canon RF lenses..

Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

Jo-So wrote:

Rick V wrote:

Rick

What are RF lenses actually? Google only gives me links to new 2018 Canon RF lenses..

An unfortunate abbreviation of RangeFinder. Normally used when talking about Leica M and similar designs.

BTW, the original Pen F isn't even a rangefinder, it's a small half-frame SLR design with a unique rotary disc focal plane shutter.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 8,068

Jo-So wrote:

Rick V wrote:

Rick

Is there a reward for resurrecting the oldest thread possible, hehehehe

Happy New Year, and welcome to the Sony forums.

shootrawww Forum Member • Posts: 86

maybe a silly question, but do Pen F lenses have any kind of crop factor when used on A7 or is the 38 1.8 just 38 1.8 when used on a FF body ? 

kathala
kathala Regular Member • Posts: 144

Another resurrection

The goal is NOT to apply any crop factor. The lens is always a 38mm. But while on Pen, it gave an angle of view of around 4o° (I don't know the exact "crop factor" of Pen), it now gives 6o° on an a7, just like a full frame 38mm does.

On a different note, sadly, all the linked sample images are gone by now. Who wants to post some samples with their own Pen lenses on full frame? I've seen a lot with the 38mm, but very few with the others, and none with the 25/2.8

-- hide signature --

The better you look, the more you see (B. E. Ellis)
My Art and Books: ChristianSchnalzger.de
My Exploration of Panoramic Photographic Storytelling:
flickr.com/photos/hach_und_ueberhaupt/
My Photography Reference Tables:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aJ5F8XM6t5AK4bydthcDoiwhsh5CUx3N

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads