Sharp but often decentered.

Started Nov 23, 2013 | User reviews
jstop Regular Member • Posts: 226
Sharp but often decentered.

The lens is quite good but most copies are decentered on one side, especially evident at 50 mm. For the cheap price though, it is quite ok. The center is sharp. Can't expect too much beyond that.

Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS
Telephoto zoom lens • Samsung NX • T50200SB
Announced: Jan 4, 2010
jstop's score
Average community score
MOD Taffy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Sharp but often decentered.

jstop wrote:

The lens is quite good but most copies are decentered on one side, especially evident at 50 mm. For the cheap price though, it is quite ok. The center is sharp. Can't expect too much beyond that.

How can you possiblt state that ,"MOST COPIES," are decentred? Have you tested them ALL? I think that you are talking rubbish. I don't doubt that there may be, "SOME," probelms with, "SOME," lenses. But that happems with all manufacturers, but for you to catagirically state that, "MOST," lenses here, are at fault, is a very misleading statement.

-- hide signature --

Have a good day.
Regards, Allan.

OP jstop Regular Member • Posts: 226

Ok, Allan, maybe I should state in my experience. I don't wish to bore you with details, but I tested NINE copies. And I didn't want to keep returning lenses to the customer centre, so I just settled for one with LESS problems.

Better now?

jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

before make general claim, maybe ask other owners do not complain of really bad decentering. if there is real product concern issue, why no post coming from others? also, why keep on buying and testing product if say it is defective? what is point? to agree with statement? do not think will get support because others do not see it.  why only this person get bad copy always? maybe consult eye doctor for problem. agree on observation like it is stupid claim when no much complain from general owners.  cannot support ONE statement from ONE USER ONLY. sorry. do not buy product if only you feel it is bad.

such posting irresponsible and would give non-users wrong idea and scare people from lens. do not generalize if others don't see it.  keep "BS" to self.

paulhome Contributing Member • Posts: 841

my copy seems fine. the mk 1

paulhome's gear list:paulhome's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

have mk3 with 2nd copy of brown nx300. no problem also.

NewForce Senior Member • Posts: 1,263

Have 2 copy of Mk3 on 2 units of White NX300. No problem on both.

Doesn't mean to be rude, could it be someone having a visual problem? Cross-eyed or cockeyed maybe?

-- hide signature --

Kenny

NewForce wrote:

Have 2 copy of Mk3 on 2 units of White NX300. No problem on both.

Doesn't mean to be rude, could it be someone having a visual problem? Cross-eyed or cockeyed maybe?

Ah, I knew that the RUDE Singapore "New Force" would jump straight in even though he "doesn't mean to be rude".....And the Jenny Rae with atrocious English....;-)

Ok then, all you neeners who supposedly don't have eye problems, tell me what is wrong with this photo? It's from lens #9.....

I gave up on returning lenses to Samsung, just in case they told me that the cost to change lenses for me (repeatedly) would exceed the $200 or so I paid for it and I should not be expecting a $200 lens to perform like a $2000 lens.....

After all, there HAS to be a reason why the lens is always bundled as a free gift in packages, right?

To the rest who are much more objective and are not afraid that Samsung would lose sales (as if they need you to defend them) I find that if I increase the focal length, the decentralization problems decrease. As long as it is above 50 mm (60-130mm is quite ok)....

I just have to avoid using 50 mm.

PS: Anyway, I didn't know I could not edit my post to say "in my experience"....(unless Taffy cares to do so).

TJL LTFF
TJL LTFF Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

Ok then, all you neeners who supposedly don't have eye problems, tell me what is wrong with this photo? It's from lens #9.....

Across the river the golf course looks very fuzzy to the right of center, but pretty darn sharp to the left of center. So, I'm thinking those holes to the right are much tougher than those ones to the left. Am I right?

TJL LTFF's gear list:TJL LTFF's gear list
Sony RX1R II Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +10 more

Across the river the golf course looks very fuzzy to the right of center, but pretty darn sharp to the left of center. So, I'm thinking those holes to the right are much tougher than those ones to the left. Am I right?

I guess so. Very challenging course for the visually impaired.

TJL LTFF

jstop wrote:

Hot damn - I'm going to take that 'guess so' that I finally got something correct.

Sony RX1R II Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +10 more

TJL LTFF wrote:

jstop wrote:

Hot damn - I'm going to take that 'guess so' that I finally got something correct.

Sssh, I don't think we want to risk offending the sensitivities of some around here, or say anything "sacrilegious", eh?

TJL LTFF

I have had the 50-200mm ever since the NX10 came out. According to my LR catalog, I've kept exactly 369 photos while using that lens (out of 15,769 keepers total). I think I may actually have a pretty good copy of a 1st generation lens, but I haven't used it since February of this year. If somebody offered a decent $ amount, I would part with it in a heartbeat. I have never even had it on my NX300 - the best NX camera so far. I guess I am just too big a fan of NX primes.

TJL LTFF wrote:

I have had the 50-200mm ever since the NX10 came out. According to my LR catalog, I've kept exactly 369 photos while using that lens (out of 15,769 keepers total). I think I may actually have a pretty good copy of a 1st generation lens, but I haven't used it since February of this year. If somebody offered a decent $ amount, I would part with it in a heartbeat. I have never even had it on my NX300 - the best NX camera so far. I guess I am just too big a fan of NX primes.

If you or anyone would like to sell it, and it doesn't have the same problems I have had with mine so far, PM me. I am ready to buy it AGAIN.

PS: I am saving money to wait for the next generation NX next year. If it's not what I want, I guess I'll switch system.

TJL LTFF

jstop wrote:

If you or anyone would like to sell it, and it doesn't have the same problems I have had with mine so far, PM me. I am ready to buy it AGAIN.

I was just reviewing some of my old photos; my 50-200mm shows a left side bias like yours. The right side may be slightly less fuzzy than yours - I sure wouldn't want to bet on that, though.

PS: I am saving money to wait for the next generation NX next year. If it's not what I want, I guess I'll switch system.

I like my NX300 so much, if the next gen isn't better, I'll be happy with what I have for quite a while longer. That includes keeping the NX20, which isn't used a lot, but when I need it, it sure comes in handy. For me personally, the change from the NX200 to NX300 was substantial.

armin304 Contributing Member • Posts: 730

I own a first generation 50-200 without decentering problems, but I don't like it much, because it's beyond 130mm the worst telezoom I own. Compared with an 20 years old Nikon AF 4-5.6/70-210 at 200mm and wide open, the Samsung is really bad even stepped down! And it doesn't like heat, then the zoom gets sticky. But it's up to now the only longer tele lens with AF in the NX system, so I keep it despite the bad example I got. I hope it's a bad example...;-)

armin304's gear list:armin304's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Nikon D700 Samsung NX2000 Samsung NX30 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads