Started Nov 23, 2013 | Discussions
Dale108
OP Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,017
Re: K3 Catch in Focus Surprise Today
Dale108
Re: IR Remote and K3 Catch in Focus

Hi Ron:

I couldn't get CIF with the IR remote to work as it wants to fire the shutter whether in focus or not; this was tested with DA* 300 and DA* 50-135.

Dale

brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Re: IR Remote and K3 Catch in Focus

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Ron:

Hi Dale,

I couldn't get CIF with the IR remote to work as it wants to fire the shutter whether in focus or not; this was tested with DA* 300 and DA* 50-135.

Thanks for giving it a try. Oh well, at least we know that wired remote CIF works, which is the way I use it anyway.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

Dale108 wrote:

Yes Jeff I did get other shots but not that interesting. It is a neat concept that I can come home and see what I have at the end of the day. To avoid battery drain I use the Pentax DC cord.

Dale

Seems like using the DC cord WOULD be the way to go. Do you know if there's an aftermarket version of that? I was looking at accessories for the K-3 the other day, and the Pentax brand DC cord for it was $109, I think! That just seems a RIDICULOUS PRICE to pay for a DC adapter for ANYTHING! That said, I wouldn't want to get a cheap one that doesn't have a stable output and might fry my camera's electronics, either.

One other question: below Ron asked if you can do this with the infrared remote and you said you tried, but it works for you only with the wired remote. Do you have to use a remote? In your previous posts I got the impression you simply set the camera up manually and weren't using a remote, at all. The reason I ask is that the only remote I have is the WR IR remote, so were I to try this I'd want to know if I needed to get the wired remote.

Thanks, and again... LOVELY photo!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Marc Lampron
Marc Lampron New Member • Posts: 22

Does it work with auto-focus lens set to manual focus or does it only work with manual focus lens ?
--
Marc (Montréal, Canada)
http://mlampron.zenfolio.com

Jeff...

JeffAHayes wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Yes Jeff I did get other shots but not that interesting. It is a neat concept that I can come home and see what I have at the end of the day. To avoid battery drain I use the Pentax DC cord.

Seems like using the DC cord WOULD be the way to go. Do you know if there's an aftermarket version of that? I was looking at accessories for the K-3 the other day, and the Pentax brand DC cord for it was $109, I think! That just seems a RIDICULOUS PRICE to pay for a DC adapter for ANYTHING! That said, I wouldn't want to get a cheap one that doesn't have a stable output and might fry my camera's electronics, either.

Hi Jeff,

I suggest you first try it with just a fully charged battery. I think you will be surprised at how long it will last. Note: Don't forget to turn the Auto Power Off to Off in the menu.

One other question: below Ron asked if you can do this with the infrared remote and you said you tried, but it works for you only with the wired remote. Do you have to use a remote? In your previous posts I got the impression you simply set the camera up manually and weren't using a remote, at all. The reason I ask is that the only remote I have is the WR IR remote, so were I to try this I'd want to know if I needed to get the wired remote.

Yes, you need to use a remote. And, so far it appears that with the K-3, only a wired remote will work. Get a locking wired remote. You can find them on ebay for very cheap. Also, whatever works for the lower model Canon cameras will also work with the Pentax.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Marc...

Marc Lampron wrote:

Does it work with auto-focus lens set to manual focus or does it only work with manual focus lens ?

Hi Marc,

Dale took the shot in the OP using a DA*300/4 lens. So, that lens had to have the AF/MF switch on the lens set to MF.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Marc Lampron
Marc Lampron New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Marc...

Thank's Ron
--
Marc (Montréal, Canada)
http://mlampron.zenfolio.com

JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Jeff...

brandrx wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I suggest you first try it with just a fully charged battery. I think you will be surprised at how long it will last. Note: Don't forget to turn the Auto Power Off to Off in the menu.

Yes, you need to use a remote. And, so far it appears that with the K-3, only a wired remote will work. Get a locking wired remote. You can find them on ebay for very cheap. Also, whatever works for the lower model Canon cameras will also work with the Pentax.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Ron. I'm in the middle of finalizing an order at Amazon right now for accessories I want now that I'll be picking up my K-3 at the local UPS warehouse tomorrow (B&H was requiring signature, and that NEVER works, since the UPS driver never gives me time to get to the door -- plus I was going to be out of the house part of the day, so I got them to change delivery status to "will call."). I'll add a wired remote to that. As for the AC adapter, I just did a search for THAT at Amazon and they have ONE seller -- IN JAPAN -- at full retail PLUS $14 shipping! No thanks! Guess I'll have to get that direct from Pentax or somewhere, if I get it.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Cono RS-60E3...

JeffAHayes wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Thanks, Ron. I'm in the middle of finalizing an order at Amazon right now for accessories I want now that I'll be picking up my K-3 at the local UPS warehouse tomorrow (B&H was requiring signature, and that NEVER works, since the UPS driver never gives me time to get to the door -- plus I was going to be out of the house part of the day, so I got them to change delivery status to "will call."). I'll add a wired remote to that. As for the AC adapter, I just did a search for THAT at Amazon and they have ONE seller -- IN JAPAN -- at full retail PLUS $14 shipping! No thanks! Guess I'll have to get that direct from Pentax or somewhere, if I get it.

BTW: I mentioned that a Canon wired remote will work. That Canon wired remote I was talking about is the RS-60E3.

Ron

-- hide signature --

EHDesigns
EHDesigns Contributing Member • Posts: 711

Well done!

EHDesigns's gear list:EHDesigns's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +11 more
Dale108

Correct Marc, I had the lens set to MF.

Dale

Dale108
Dale108
Re: Jeff...

Hi Jeff:

I used a generic wired remote from China that seems to work fine; the trick is the remote needs to have a lock function to keep the shutter pressed.

Dale

locke_fc Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Fer:

The focus point for the camera was set just above the branch to where the bird is.

Dale

You mean the catch-in remembers which AF point was used and only triggers when ever something hits that specific point?

For some reason I always thought it was a matter of focal plane, but you're saying it's not. Am I right?

-- hide signature --

Fer

Dale108

Hi Fer:

Yes, you fix the focal point and focal plane and then the shutter fires when something comes into focus.

Dale

locke_fc Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

Got it, thanks Dale. Nice capture btw.

-- hide signature --

Fer

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads