TWAIN Driver for 64 Bit Operating System?

Started Nov 22, 2013 | Discussions
Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875
TWAIN Driver for 64 Bit Operating System?

I upgraded my home desktop from XP 32 bit to Windows 8 x64. Everything basically works except there are some glitches with my Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner. It is not so "perfection" any more. Initially it seems to lose the functionality of the front buttons to scan, copy, make a pdf, fax. However now that seems to more or less work, although the copy function is more flakey than I recall it was. The strange part in this is that of the hardware I saved, this scanner was my newest component, and I never even considered it would not work well with Windows 8. One feature that I do not have and miss is the ability to scan a document or photo from Adobe Photoshop Elements. In XP, I could click on File, Import, and the scanner was listed as an import device. Now it is not there and my attempts to restore it, have failed.

My investigation of the issue with Epson has kind of come to a dead end. They say that nobody has bothered to write a 64 bit TWAIN driver, and that is the reason it does not work. They blame Adobe and Microsoft, but it seems to me that Epson has to share some responsibility too.

In any case is this lack of a TWAIN driver true? And is there any way to restore the functionality to Elements, or is it just gone?

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
chillzatl Regular Member • Posts: 431
Re: TWAIN Driver for 64 Bit Operating System?

Have you tried installing their Windows 7 64bit software? In most cases, windows 7's software/drivers should work just fine. I also have an Epson Expression AiO using the windows 7 software/drivers on 64-bit Win8.1 and have no issues importing via other apps, including photoshop.

After double checking their site, they have a software/driver package for Win8 64bit for your scanner and it specifically mentions having twain support:

Description: This file contains the Epson Perfection V600 Photo EPSON Scan Utility and Scanner Driver (TWAIN) v3.920.

Note:
Windows XP users: When you see the "Hardware Warning" screen, click "Continue Anyway".
Windows 2000 users: When you see the "Digital Signature Not Found" screen, click "Yes".
Windows Vista, 7 and 8 users: When you see the "Windows Security" screen, select "Install this driver software anyway".

Compatible Systems: Windows 8 32-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, Windows XP 64-bit

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=139863&BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_8-64

OP Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875

chillzatl wrote:

Have you tried installing their Windows 7 64bit software? In most cases, windows 7's software/drivers should work just fine. I also have an Epson Expression AiO using the windows 7 software/drivers on 64-bit Win8.1 and have no issues importing via other apps, including photoshop.

After double checking their site, they have a software/driver package for Win8 64bit for your scanner and it specifically mentions having twain support:

Description: This file contains the Epson Perfection V600 Photo EPSON Scan Utility and Scanner Driver (TWAIN) v3.920.

Note:
Windows XP users: When you see the "Hardware Warning" screen, click "Continue Anyway".
Windows 2000 users: When you see the "Digital Signature Not Found" screen, click "Yes".
Windows Vista, 7 and 8 users: When you see the "Windows Security" screen, select "Install this driver software anyway".

Compatible Systems: Windows 8 32-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, Windows XP 64-bit

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=139863&BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_8-64

OK, that description of the driver sounds encouraging. I checked my downloads directory, and found the two exe files for the driver and also one for the copy. It appears I had already installed them. Just in case I installed them again. No change in Photoshop Elements. Under File, Import all I get for choices is Frame From Video, and WIA Support. I've tried WIA but all I get is a message that there are no WIA compatible devices to use.

I believe this link from Epson  is where I was getting the info that 64 bit Twain was not really supported. It seems to address CS4 which made me wonder if was outdated. If I read this right, it appears the work around which does not sound that attractive is to somehow start Elements as a 32 bit application. Not sure how, or if I can do that?

Bob Collette Veteran Member • Posts: 3,842

I can't help you with your Epson scanner, however I have an old (~15 year old) Microtek X6 SCSI scanner.  It works fine with Win7 x64.  Of course, I had to install the 64-bit version of the TWAIN driver, but TWAIN is supported in 64-bit operating systems.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Brad99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

My Epson 2480 from 2005 works fine in Win7.64.  I used Epson's Vista 64 bit drivers as recommended by Epson.

When you say it works fine does that mean you can use the File, Import, Scanner function in Photoshop?

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595

Alternate solution:

I have an old Canon scanner for which 64 bit drivers were never released.   It worked fine on XP and on 32-bit Win7, but not on 64bit.

For a number of reasons, I use VMware to run a 32-bit XP VM on my PC.    I map host machine output folder as a network drive on the VM.   Scanner works perfectly used from the VM.

chillzatl Regular Member • Posts: 431

Ron AKA wrote:

When you say it works fine does that mean you can use the File, Import, Scanner function in Photoshop?

I just tested mine in photoshop and it worked as expected.

ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084

I have a canoscan 9000 that isn't working properly either since getting Win7pro.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,849

Ron AKA wrote:

My investigation of the issue with Epson has kind of come to a dead end. They say that nobody has bothered to write a 64 bit TWAIN driver, and that is the reason it does not work. They blame Adobe and Microsoft, but it seems to me that Epson has to share some responsibility too.

The lack of a driver isn't the real issue, it's the fact that the industry group who came up with the TWAIN standard never updated it for use in a 64-bit environment.   The WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) standard was created for 64-bit software and I guess the TWAIN group figured there wasn't any reason to re-invent the wheel.

So the software ecosystem simply doesn't exist for 64-bit TWAIN.   There's no point in Epson writing a 64-bit TWAIN driver because there's no standard for it and there's no other 64-bit software that would be able to interface with it.   If you want to do the stuff that TWAIN did in a 64-bit environment (i.e, scan directly into image processing software such as PhotoShop), WIA is the technology to use.

I personally wasn't satisfied with the WIA interfaces, so I ended up just using the scan-to-file utility that came with my Epson scanner and then I open the scanned files with the software I use (primarily Photoshop).

Brad99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

Ron AKA wrote:

It works in Paint Shop Pro 9, but  I had to copy Twain_32.8BA into the 32-bit CS6 plugin folder to get it to work, no joy with 64 bit CS6.

NetMage Senior Member • Posts: 2,910

After looking into this for a while, I really wish someone would create a 64-bit WIA to 32-bit TWAIN bridge - it looked like one was being worked on, but it got lost during a company acquisition I think.

-- hide signature --

-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- How about switching to real forum software?

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +23 more
wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 7,346
Hamrick Vuescan

Has anyone considered Hamrick Vuescan? It works with most scanners, a lot of which have already been abandoned by their respective  manufacturers. It is frequently updated.

NetMage wrote:

After looking into this for a while, I really wish someone would create a 64-bit WIA to 32-bit TWAIN bridge - it looked like one was being worked on, but it got lost during a company acquisition I think.

-- hide signature --

-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- How about switching to real forum software?

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 7,346
Re: Hamrick Vuescan

Here's a list of supported scanners from the developer's website.

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

There are separate downloads for 32bit and 64bit versions of the software.

-- hide signature --

joey_B
joey_B Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080

did you remove the old driver before installing the new one?

Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 8,687

Ron AKA wrote:

I upgraded my home desktop from XP 32 bit to Windows 8 x64.

In any case is this lack of a TWAIN driver true? And is there any way to restore the functionality to Elements, or is it just gone?

Just in case you've not seen this?

These instructions ("TWAIN is not installed with Photoshop Elements versions 9 and 10") helped me to get a wifi networked Canon All-In-One to appear in the Editor's list of "Import" options, as both Twain and WIA entries, for PSE10 running under 64 bit Windows 8.1...

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/twain-installed-photoshop-elements-9.html

To get to the page for PSE version "11 and later"....

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/twain-installed-photoshop-elements-11.html

Hope that works!

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Samsung NX3000 Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +19 more
IanYorke Senior Member • Posts: 2,159

Ron AKA wrote:

I upgraded my home desktop from XP 32 bit to Windows 8 x64. Everything basically works except there are some glitches with my Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner. It is not so "perfection" any more. Initially it seems to lose the functionality of the front buttons to scan, copy, make a pdf, fax. However now that seems to more or less work, although the copy function is more flakey than I recall it was. The strange part in this is that of the hardware I saved, this scanner was my newest component, and I never even considered it would not work well with Windows 8. One feature that I do not have and miss is the ability to scan a document or photo from Adobe Photoshop Elements. In XP, I could click on File, Import, and the scanner was listed as an import device. Now it is not there and my attempts to restore it, have failed.

I am just curious, but why would you want to upgrade a 10 year old operating system to  Microsofts 10 year old first  attempt at a 64 bit OS?

IanYorke wrote:

I am just curious, but why would you want to upgrade a 10 year old operating system to Microsofts 10 year old first attempt at a 64 bit OS?

Upgrade, was probably the wrong term. It was a complete new computer except for the case, power supply, and peripherals like the scanner and printers. 32 vs 64 bit was a brief consideration, but I believe 64 bit has been around for at least as long as W7 and I thought it was a mature technology. Perhaps not...

Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 8,687

Think you'll find that, regardless of which Windows version you're running, all editions of Win-PSE thus far are 32 bit... and need only a 32 bit TWAIN plug-in?

Try copying that file over and restarting your PSE11 - at worst you can very easily delete it again!

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Samsung NX3000 Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +19 more
David Rosser
David Rosser Veteran Member • Posts: 3,465
Re: Hamrick Vuescan

wklee wrote:

Here's a list of supported scanners from the developer's website.

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

There are separate downloads for 32bit and 64bit versions of the software.

-- hide signature --

Vuscan is great but the OP wanted to access the scanner directly from PS etc. and you can't do this with Vuscan as it is very much a stand alone programme.

-- hide signature --
 David Rosser's gear list:David Rosser's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Sony RX100 III Nikon D40 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads