Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

Started Nov 21, 2013 | Discussions
cgarrard
cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,529
Re: Haha!

havoc315 wrote:

You're unfairly comparing the premium SLTs-- many of your points are the A77 and A65.

Comparing the A58 only with the K50, the K50 looks better across many key points.
Sure--any SLT has some unique selling points such as live view, full time PDAF. But the k50 unquestionably has far superior build quality (it's weather sealed, not even a debate). The k50 has much better high ISO performance.
Unless you're absolutely in love with the unique benefits of SLT, it's pretty hard to put the A58 ahead.

Its was not an unfair comparison. If that was unfair than I would say comparing K-50 (price: $800 - official launch price) with A58 (price $499 :official) is also not fair. So I compare K-50 with A65/A77/A57/A58. K-50's price comes in between A65 and A77 and its not even close to A58... You can say that K-50 is available at $580 on amazon but I purchased my A58 at $450...

Regarding the weather sealing, it can be done on any electronic devices using latest nano-technologies. Liquipel (http://www.liquipel.com/) is the firm which can make any electronic device water proof. Liquipel coating is far batter than factory based water-proofing.

Now A58 vs K - 50 (unfair because of difference in price)

K-50 Advantages

1. Large Screen 3" vs 2.7"
  2. High ISO 51600 vs 16000, I still need to check the ISO results
  3. OVF vs EVF, good for you to do some test shots without live-view!
  4. 92% viewfinder coverage vs A58's 100% OLED EVF coverage. Good for you hide the outer 8%
  5. Weather Sealed
  6. Large Sensor
  7. Thinner in size
  8. Fast Shutter Speed 1/6000 vs 1/4000 (helpful to handle higher ISO range)

A58 Advantages

1. A58: 1080/60i/24p AVCHD™ or 1080/30p MP4
    K-50: only 1080 at 30fps
  2. A58 has external mic jack
  3. A58 can create panorama, I've personally tested it worked very smoothly, results were 100% accurate.

Show us.  I call lie, completely. And one shot out of many does not count. Show me a set of 3 consecutive shots where stitching and exposure errors don't show up. Good luck.

1. Phase Detection Auto-Focus in Continues Video as well as Continues still shooting
  2. Has a flip out screen
  3. Longer battery life, 690 vs 410 shots.. you said k-50 supports two batteries, well A-58 have support for external power supply using AC to DC adapter. Regarding 2nd battery, we can carry n number spare batteries with A58 to get 610 * n shots

The K50 has external support for adapters as well. K50 wins.

1. Higher Megapixel, 20mp vs 16mp.. some peoples says its unnecessary but I say that its very helpful to crop/get extra focal length...

Resolution differences are VERY minimal here. High ISO is a MAJOR advantage to the K50. K50 wins.

1. Large View-Finder (0.65x vs 0.61x) I'm talking about viewfinder size not quality!
  2. More Auto-Focus Points (15 vs 11)

Only in viewfinder mode, in

1. Large number of lenses available, complete A-mount lens database is available on dyxum.com

Just as large of a lens database is on pentax forums dot com.

1. Light in weight, 492g vs 650g. More than 20% lighter...

And more chance at camera shake, less build quality.

1. Cheaper and best value for money...

I'm also tired now comparing the both..

That's because you are defending the A58 when you shouldn't need too. Both offer a great value for the money depending on needs.

Have a nice day

Njoy your K-50!

That's a fairer comparison.

Though you have ignored the faster full resolution burst rate and superior buffer of the K50. You continue to belittle the far superior build quality (from weather sealing to metal mount to a second control dial). And you ignored the superior image quality (mostly superior ISO performance) of the k50, and higher resolution LCD.

In terms of lens availability, not sure which wins. Pentax has a massive availability of legacy lenses, maybe even more than a-mount.

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

cgarrard's gear list:cgarrard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Vikas Rana
OP Vikas Rana Contributing Member • Posts: 916

cgarrard wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

You're unfairly comparing the premium SLTs-- many of your points are the A77 and A65.

Comparing the A58 only with the K50, the K50 looks better across many key points.
Sure--any SLT has some unique selling points such as live view, full time PDAF. But the k50 unquestionably has far superior build quality (it's weather sealed, not even a debate). The k50 has much better high ISO performance.
Unless you're absolutely in love with the unique benefits of SLT, it's pretty hard to put the A58 ahead.

Its was not an unfair comparison. If that was unfair than I would say comparing K-50 (price: $800 - official launch price) with A58 (price $499 :official) is also not fair. So I compare K-50 with A65/A77/A57/A58. K-50's price comes in between A65 and A77 and its not even close to A58... You can say that K-50 is available at $580 on amazon but I purchased my A58 at $450...

Regarding the weather sealing, it can be done on any electronic devices using latest nano-technologies. Liquipel (http://www.liquipel.com/) is the firm which can make any electronic device water proof. Liquipel coating is far batter than factory based water-proofing.

Now A58 vs K - 50 (unfair because of difference in price)

K-50 Advantages

1. Large Screen 3" vs 2.7"
  2. High ISO 51600 vs 16000, I still need to check the ISO results
  3. OVF vs EVF, good for you to do some test shots without live-view!
  4. 92% viewfinder coverage vs A58's 100% OLED EVF coverage. Good for you hide the outer 8%
  5. Weather Sealed
  6. Large Sensor
  7. Thinner in size
  8. Fast Shutter Speed 1/6000 vs 1/4000 (helpful to handle higher ISO range)

A58 Advantages

1. A58: 1080/60i/24p AVCHD™ or 1080/30p MP4
    K-50: only 1080 at 30fps
  2. A58 has external mic jack
  3. A58 can create panorama, I've personally tested it worked very smoothly, results were 100% accurate.

Show us. I call lie, completely. And one shot out of many does not count. Show me a set of 3 consecutive shots where stitching and exposure errors don't show up. Good luck.

both the shots looks good enough to me.. I'll show you more tomorrow if you need. I think you got some defective piece of A58 on which you had the stitching problem...

1. Phase Detection Auto-Focus in Continues Video as well as Continues still shooting
  2. Has a flip out screen
  3. Longer battery life, 690 vs 410 shots.. you said k-50 supports two batteries, well A-58 have support for external power supply using AC to DC adapter. Regarding 2nd battery, we can carry n number spare batteries with A58 to get 610 * n shots

The K50 has external support for adapters as well. K50 wins.

Not wins, its a tie

1. Higher Megapixel, 20mp vs 16mp.. some peoples says its unnecessary but I say that its very helpful to crop/get extra focal length...

Resolution differences are VERY minimal here. High ISO is a MAJOR advantage to the K50. K50 wins.

Still you can crop better with 20mp, call it a tie

1. Large View-Finder (0.65x vs 0.61x) I'm talking about viewfinder size not quality!
  2. More Auto-Focus Points (15 vs 11)

Only in viewfinder mode, in

In viewfinder as well as in LCD, A58 also have Lock-On focus... it wins

1. Large number of lenses available, complete A-mount lens database is available on dyxum.com

Just as large of a lens database is on pentax forums dot com.

Tie

1. Light in weight, 492g vs 650g. More than 20% lighter...

And more chance at camera shake, less build quality.

My hands does not need a tripod as I shoot some 2.5 and 3.2 seconds long exposed handheld shots with IBIS using my A58, shared on DPR as well:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3566341
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3570539

1. Cheaper and best value for money...

I'm also tired now comparing the both..

That's because you are defending the A58 when you shouldn't need too. Both offer a great value for the money depending on needs.

Not defending A58, K-50 also a good camera but not as cheap as of A58. Still 20% more expensive  than A58

Also its not available in India where I live with the huge number of photographers as comparing to other countries, may be highest number of photographers. After sales service is still in trouble. If someone buy pentax than he actually have to spend hundred or thousands of dollars extra on shipping & taxes on camera as well as different lenses keeping in mind that there is no local warranty based service. Pentax cannot qualify in the best cameras around the world...

Have a nice day

Njoy your K-50!

That's a fairer comparison.

Though you have ignored the faster full resolution burst rate and superior buffer of the K50. You continue to belittle the far superior build quality (from weather sealing to metal mount to a second control dial). And you ignored the superior image quality (mostly superior ISO performance) of the k50, and higher resolution LCD.

In terms of lens availability, not sure which wins. Pentax has a massive availability of legacy lenses, maybe even more than a-mount.

-- hide signature --

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Ontario Gone
Ontario Gone Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

$600 for the a65 is a better deal.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Michel J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009

cgarrard wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

http://cameras.reviewed.com/features/2013-best-of-year-camera-awards

A lot more camera than the A58 in so many respects, but not much more either.

"While Canon and Nikon certainly dominate the high-end DSLR game, Pentax has quietly been churning out excellent consumer-grade DSLRs at affordable prices for years. The K-50 is the culmination of those efforts, showing a vast improvement over older affordable Pentax models like the K-r or the K-x. Available in dozens of fetching colors and designs, the K-50 still offers serious performance, excellent control, and is fully weather-sealed—a feature far too many consumers overlook when shopping for a DSLR. (MSRP $699.95)

Read our full review of the Pentax K-50 here "

Both cameras offer a lot of value, and they are wholly different choices. One has a high end OVF/weather sealing (and more) the other a high end EVF and lower price. If I were a new DSLR buyer I'd be looking at those two cameras.
Carl

Its funny to me that you are talking about spending $699 on an OVF based DLSR...

There that looks better ^

$583.65 brand new with a better weather sealed kit lens, non rotating front element, weather sealed body, dual control wheels, better sensor than the A58, Jpeg engine that blows away the A58's, much more functionality and customization, much better build quality, 2 battery options, .... who needs to mention the 100% accurate .92x OVF, faster top shutter speed, in camera raw development, etc etc etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6/dp/B00DBPKAAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385188723&sr=8-1&keywords=pentax+k50

You can say what you will, but the K50 is a better deal than you found amigo - unless you must have an evf. The A58 is a good bargain for an EVF camera, but not as much as the K50 is today.

Spare me your EVF rant, both the ovf and evf have pro's and cons and I like them both. In each category though the K50 is the best value of its category and offers a lot more camera to grow into than the A58 despite the fact the A58 is already a pretty darn good camera/deal.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I don't agree 100%, because with an OVF, you're still not able to do all that achieve well an EVF (pre-production shots VS post-production), while EVF can do everything offered by an OVF and more.

Regards.
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +10 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,255
Re: ROTFLMAO

seilerbird666 wrote:

The a58 does not have a GPS built in so therefore it is not the 'best value dslr'. The a55 beats the heck out of the the a58.

The A55 is long discontinued so it wouldn't be eligible for consideration. It was also $750 when new.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

About the hahahah thing vicas..

The k-50 'superior jpeg engine? I don't see it.  As you can see from all of these 100% crops the k50   oversharpens the jpegs leaving artifacts. The k50 also has a lot more color noise than the a58.

The a578 has more resolution and cleaner at every iso ..quite a bit in many cases. I think I read that it holds 2750 lines at 1600iso...in any case higher than the k- 50 front base iso and up.

If you don't need weather sealing(not many do) but image quality(at every sensitivity is more important) then the a58 is a better performer.....and the end result is the image right?

Look at all the color noise and artifacts from the k-50?? color noise is prevalent as are artifacts....those are the facts****

The review snip is from popphoto and the crops are 100% samples from imaging resource.  I know my a58's didn't play nice with my lenses(focusing) but I got tired of reading about the 'Greatest value pentax k-50 on this SONY FORUM.  I went looking to see how much fact their was in 'jpeg engine superiority and much better iso performance I came up with the exact opposite- The sony a58 besting the k-50 in both regards...

As for the build? well that isn't why you bought the camera and even if a camera could take a tank rolling over it, if a camera is going to get the job done better iq/iso/jpeg engine wise and not be falling apart on you you..wouldn't you go for a better imager anyway? That would be the a58

I still think the a55 makes them both look silly though hahahahha.

I don't want to argue..posting samples and standing by a fellow sony shooter is all..and I didn't go cherry picking either with these samples.  I don't care about the accuracy of the viewfinder and all the other little s*it like 'superior evf ovf stuff. To each their own, I like both personally.

Thanks and enjoy your a58 vikas knowing it can put  out superior images-brian

p.s. Just don't give it a sponge bath hahaha

Vikas Rana

Thanks for the nice review on ISO and noise performance of K-50. I should have compared ISO performance of A58 & K-50.
K-50 ISO is not acceptable above 800 where as A58 produces nice acceptable images on ISO3200 and using MFNR in A58 there is no sign of noise on ISO 6400. I think MFNR is not there in K-50.

K-50 still lacks lots of features. I think Pentax do not upgrade their cameras as much and keep synchronized only with their existing customers. Also K-50 is actually comparable to A65 not A58 because of the pricing.

A58 have the latest algorithms for jpegs which I think is better than any other SLT and not only that Pentax users needs to know that Sony sensors are implanted in other DSLRs like Nikon, Olympus etc.

Vikas

Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
havoc315 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487

What nonsense are you spouting? The K50 has vastly superior high ISO performance.

Its fine ine to prefer the Sony for many reasons.  But blind dishonest fanboy bias is just silly.

Look at the dxomark scores of each.

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
Vikas Rana

havoc315 wrote:

What nonsense are you spouting? The K50 has vastly superior high ISO performance.

Its fine ine to prefer the Sony for many reasons. But blind dishonest fanboy bias is just silly.

For your kind information we were talking about Noise performance in Higher ISO not the ISO levels means K-50 does not perform well on higher ISO like A58...

Your words like nonsense/spouting/blind dishonest fanboy bias proves that you need some behavior and personality development. I really don't want to convert this debate into a fight other wise I've a huge dictionary of words that deals with persons like you.

Be a man and show some respect here!

tbcass
Re: The K50 is serious bang for the buck too

Shield3 wrote:

Have you ever used a Canon 7d or 5d3 to shoot sports? I have and do. I get far more keepers and can much easier track moving subjects and have a far higher hit rate than I ever did with Sony SLT's. 12FPS is nice if you're shooting a stationary target (like someone's golf swing) but if you're following action across a field the SLT's just don't cut it - too much of a black out delay coupled with a very wimpy buffer. On 1000x cards I get 30 shots in 5 seconds in full raw, with continuous AF.

The "slideshow effect" takes some getting used to but I have been shooting sports using burst mode on moving subjects (Soccer, LaCrosse, Hockey, Baseball) with SLTs for 3 years now. It's gotten to the point where I can follow the action and keep the subject in the frame with absolutely no problem. In fact I don't even notice that it is a series of still images any more. I can say with complete certainty that I couldn't follow the action any better with an OVF.

As for buffer limitations, yes that's true but more so when shooting a more stationary subject like the full pitching motion of a baseball player pitching the ball. In sports where you are following people around it is more useful to fire limited bursts of 5-10 shots at a time rather than treat the camera like you're shooting a movie. To get good shots you need to need to observe the whole field, either through the viewfinder zoomed out or with your bare eyes, trying to anticipate where the action will be since most of the time the action isn't worth photographing. It helps greatly to understand the sport you are photographing. In those instances I don't fill the buffer even with a slower type 10 card.

More accurate focus? The SLT bodies I used very often would focus on the background instead of the subject.

Of course that depends on how accurately you "aim" the camera. My accurate focus hit rate isn't 100% but of course it wouldn't be with any camera. I don't doubt that high end, high priced action cameras are better, they should be for the money, but my keeper rate for action photos with my A65 is in the 70%-80% range. I haven't had a chance to use my new A77 in sports yet but theoretically with the 11 cross type AF points vs 3 on the A65 it should do better. I can't say that everyone will have the success I've had and it does take a lot of practice to get it down but I find the high speed burst with the SLT cameras very reliable and useful.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
tbcass

havoc315 wrote:

Its fine ine to prefer the Sony for many reasons. But blind dishonest fanboy bias is just silly.

The K50 with 18-55 lens is $697 at B&H while the A58 with 18-55 is $448 so there is a major price difference. I'm sure the K50 is a better camera and maybe just as good a value.

As far as high iso, I know the K50 scores better than the A58 on DXO but in the area that really matters, how it looks, there isn't much difference. When you compare the two at iso 6400 on the IR comparator the K50 looks better in some ways while the A58 looks better in others. The gray swatch looks better with the K50 while the Red swatch looks much better with the A58. I'd say overall it's a tossup. All in all though I think high iso performance is only about 5% of a cameras worth

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

tbcass
What is a good deal?

cgarrard wrote:

I counted 3 real things the A58 has as a slight advantage, and I could write a longer list the K50 has over the A58. But I've spent enough time replying to you. Enjoy your A58.

I think you've proved your point. The K50 costs $250 more than the A58 and is worth every penny of those $250 because it is a better camera. All in all the K50 is just as good a value as the A58. Many people go out and buy a budget camera because that's all they can either afford or want to spend. That's fine. The problem comes when they want to convince themselves and others that their budget camera is more than it really is.

When I bought my A65 for $900 what I really wanted was an A77 but didn't want to spend the money. I never thought the A65 was as good a camera as the A77 but it has served me well for 2 years. Recently the A77 price dropped to $900. Because it is now a better deal than the A65 was I bought one so the A65 now serves as a backup to my A77. Since high iso shooting is not a priority for me these cameras are all I would ever want (along with the RX100 I bought last year).

I think the A77 is one of the best values in cameras right now. So is the Nikon D7000 for $900, Canon 60D for $650 and the A65 for $500 (all Amazon prices). In fact all these are better values than either the K50 or A58 IMO. The best deals are cameras that have been around for a while but are still current. The latest tech isn't really much better if at all.

Tom

------------

brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

Vikas Rana wrote:

Thanks for the nice review on ISO and noise performance of K-50. I should have compared ISO performance of A58 & K-50.
K-50 ISO is not acceptable above 800 where as A58 produces nice acceptable images on ISO3200 and using MFNR in A58 there is no sign of noise on ISO 6400. I think MFNR is not there in K-50.

The k-50 probably compares lot closer to the a58 than 800 vs 3200 but saying the k-50's jpeg engine and noise performance is superior doesn't seem to be the case at all.

The k-50 probably does better with raw files whereas like with the a55 you really are wasting time processing raw with the a58. The color is 'punchier on the k-50 jpegs and many will prefer the more color saturated look to begin with.

With most cameras color starts going south and gets muted with higher iso's so you have to give it up to pentax for keeping more color to begin with. If say the a58 kept as much color I imagine the inevitable common red color blotchiness would rear its head faster.

K-50 still lacks lots of features. I think Pentax do not upgrade their cameras as much and keep synchronized only with their existing customers. Also K-50 is actually comparable to A65 not A58 because of the pricing.

I am sure the k-50 will do an outstanding job and be a great camera for many users as the a58 does also. The feel and build is important..more than I mentioned but to some owners until they have been there done that it doesn't seem necessary.

A58 have the latest algorithms for jpegs which I think is better than any other SLT and not only that Pentax users needs to know that Sony sensors are implanted in other DSLRs like Nikon, Olympus etc.

The a58 does feel solid enough and the mount very firm but the overall  just doesn't compare with the a77/a57/a65 or a55.  The jpeg engine as you mention does a great job with jpegs and uses some of the same tech as the a99 in noise handling targeting out of focus areas more.

Honestly if I had a k50 I might want to use it myself over an a58 but only because they both truly don't give the iq at 800+ that I would be looking for..That and I would probably like the color character of the pentax more than the a58 though not at high iso.

There  are trade -offs with many models and if you want a reliable high iso jpeg shooter well the a58 seem to fit the bill. The k-50 does an excellent job also just not really better than the a58.

The a58 wont be your last alpha I am sure and as you grow and eventual outgrow or can fully utilize a more feature laden camera keep growing in your technique and lens base. Then when the time comes...you will have a great photography base and hopefully a few other newer alphas to choose from to fit your wants/needs. I was tired of seeing your defences getting based on all fronts and wanted to put a little more perspective on things with my last post.

Cgarrard is a very knowledgeable photographer and I am sure the k-50 has a lot to offer that you just don't need or want in a camera. So no disrespect to anyone or any system..lets just enjoy our hobby/passion or profession

Thank you-brian

tbcass

brian14478 wrote:

With most cameras color starts going south and gets muted with higher iso's so you have to give it up to pentax for keeping more color to begin with. If say the a58 kept as much color I imagine the inevitable common red color blotchiness would rear its head faster.

Take a look at the IR comparator. The A58 is way better with the Red swatch than the K50 is at iso 6400.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

Michel J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009

tbcass wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

More accurate focus? The SLT bodies I used very often would focus on the background instead of the subject.

Of course that depends on how accurately you "aim" the camera. My accurate focus hit rate isn't 100% but of course it wouldn't be with any camera. I don't doubt that high end, high priced action cameras are better, they should be for the money, but my keeper rate for action photos with my A65 is in the 70%-80% range. I haven't had a chance to use my new A77 in sports yet but theoretically with the 11 cross type AF points vs 3 on the A65 it should do better. I can't say that everyone will have the success I've had and it does take a lot of practice to get it down but I find the high speed burst with the SLT cameras very reliable and useful.

Tom,

I sincerely doubt that some here, had enough time to scrutinizing them SLT by the appropriate way, to thereafter give a valuable opinion (that they think they can give), given the speed at which they switched to other brand/s (when it was obvious that they lacked of skills)

Cheers,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +10 more
tbcass

Michel J wrote:

Tom,

I sincerely doubt that some here, had enough time to scrutinizing them SLT by the appropriate way, to thereafter give a valuable opinion (that they think they can give), given the speed at which they switched to other brand/s (when it was obvious that they lacked of skills)

Shooting sports with any camera takes a lot of skill and shooting with the SLTs  takes a different set of skills. With practice I'm sure anybody could master it if they are willing to put in the time needed. Too many people used to an OVF give up too quickly when they try the SLT cameras. That includes the DPR reviewers who certainly can't spend the time to master the skill set when testing cameras. It takes owning and using with the camera over a certain length of time. The same goes with BIF, a skill I have never mastered with OVF or EVF because I am not interested enough to put in the time.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

Vikas Rana

The a58 wont be your last alpha I am sure and as you grow and eventual outgrow or can fully utilize a more feature laden camera keep growing in your technique and lens base. Then when the time comes...you will have a great photography base and hopefully a few other newer alphas to choose from to fit your wants/needs. I was tired of seeing your defences getting based on all fronts and wanted to put a little more perspective on things with my last post.

Brian,

I'm not defending A58 and I already said many times in this thread that K-50 is a good camera just as A58 is, instead A58 is better value for money. K-50 comes in price range of A65 not A58, so A65 vs K-50 would be fair comparison instead of A58 vs K-50...!

tbcass
Re: Best USA Camera Value right now is the Canon EOS-M

That is an amazing value seeing that it originally sold for about $800. It must be it was a poor seller so Canon is trying to unload it's inventory. Canon's loss was your gain.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

havoc315 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487

Shield3 wrote:

Have you ever used a Canon 7d or 5d3 to shoot sports? I have and do. I get far more keepers and can much easier track moving subjects and have a far higher hit rate than I ever did with Sony SLT's. 12FPS is nice if you're shooting a stationary target (like someone's golf swing) but if you're following action across a field the SLT's just don't cut it - too much of a black out delay coupled with a very wimpy buffer. On 1000x cards I get 30 shots in 5 seconds in full raw, with continuous AF.

The "slideshow effect" takes some getting used to but I have been shooting sports using burst mode on moving subjects (Soccer, LaCrosse, Hockey, Baseball) with SLTs for 3 years now. It's gotten to the point where I can follow the action and keep the subject in the frame with absolutely no problem. In fact I don't even notice that it is a series of still images any more. I can say with complete certainty that I couldn't follow the action any better with an OVF.

As for buffer limitations, yes that's true but more so when shooting a more stationary subject like the full pitching motion of a baseball player pitching the ball. In sports where you are following people around it is more useful to fire limited bursts of 5-10 shots at a time rather than treat the camera like you're shooting a movie. To get good shots you need to need to observe the whole field, either through the viewfinder zoomed out or with your bare eyes, trying to anticipate where the action will be since most of the time the action isn't worth photographing. It helps greatly to understand the sport you are photographing. In those instances I don't fill the buffer even with a slower type 10 card.

Yes, a 10 shot burst is usually sufficient. Unfortunately, at full resolution, the a58 only support 6 fps.

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,590

havoc315 wrote:

Yes, a 10 shot burst is usually sufficient. Unfortunately, at full resolution, the a58 only support 6 fps.

Its not the best, but the A58 supports up to 19Frames at 8FPS, using the Telezoom Continuous advance priority.

So if you need the speed, its there, but with some compromises.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads