Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

Started Nov 21, 2013 | Discussions
Vikas Rana
Vikas Rana Contributing Member • Posts: 916
Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
2
 Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,197
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
2

That's one man's opinion.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
patriotspyke
patriotspyke Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

Well I just picked up the A58 in the UK for £299 with lens, compared to the cost of my NEX6 I have to say I have very impressed. Yes its a bit plastic and yes it needed more buttons and a better screen, but for the price it really is great value. Also coming from an NEX the AF is fantastic. No doubt I will upgrade at some point to the 65 or 77 but for a cheap system at that cost I wont be worried about it getting damaged etc

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23647858@N02/
NEX 6. 18-55 kit, Rokkor 50mm 1.4, 135mm Sigma Mini Tele, Olympus Zuiko 35-70mm, Olympus Zuiko 200mm

 patriotspyke's gear list:patriotspyke's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +6 more
(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
2

I am sure that the A58 is a lot of camera for the money (never really look at it closely) but I'm not sure that 'best of' compilation is particularly reliable.

For example:

  • Nikon D600 as the 'best prosumer camera' despite the fact that it has been replaced by the D610 to resolve the oil splatter problems that were reported on the D600.
  • The description of the Canon 70D ('Best high end DSLR') includes 'for the first time providing camcorder-like autofocus capabilities in a DSLR', even though the SLT design allows for video autofocus.
  • The description of the A58 describes it as one of the 'budget-friendly options for those who prefer traditional DSLRs'. Traditional DSLR? With an EVF and translucent mirror?

I'm always wary when a reviewer asserts that thing X is 'best'. The idea of 'best' can only properly relate to an individual, i.e. a certain camera is the best choice for an individual person in a specific situation for a specific task.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,197
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

patriotspyke wrote:

Well I just picked up the A58 in the UK for £299 with lens, compared to the cost of my NEX6 I have to say I have very impressed. Yes its a bit plastic and yes it needed more buttons and a better screen, but for the price it really is great value. Also coming from an NEX the AF is fantastic. No doubt I will upgrade at some point to the 65 or 77 but for a cheap system at that cost I wont be worried about it getting damaged etc

I don't doubt the A58 is a good value in many ways but I would rather pay $900 for an A77 or $600 for an A65 (both also great values) than $500 for an A58 with a mediocre lens one would have to soon replace and a camera body I would quickly out grow). Of course I already own several lenses and an A55, A65 and just bought an A77 which may affect my opinion of the A58.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,197
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
2

FatColin wrote:

I am sure that the A58 is a lot of camera for the money (never really look at it closely) but I'm not sure that 'best of' compilation is particularly reliable.

For example:

  • Nikon D600 as the 'best prosumer camera' despite the fact that it has been replaced by the D610 to resolve the oil splatter problems that were reported on the D600.
  • The description of the Canon 70D ('Best high end DSLR') includes 'for the first time providing camcorder-like autofocus capabilities in a DSLR', even though the SLT design allows for video autofocus.
  • The description of the A58 describes it as one of the 'budget-friendly options for those who prefer traditional DSLRs'. Traditional DSLR? With an EVF and translucent mirror?

I'm always wary when a reviewer asserts that thing X is 'best'. The idea of 'best' can only properly relate to an individual, i.e. a certain camera is the best choice for an individual person in a specific situation for a specific task.

Exactly. He was just one person who didn't really seem to know what he was talking about. You have to be very careful what you read on the web.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
carljervis Senior Member • Posts: 1,000
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

FatColin wrote:

I am sure that the A58 is a lot of camera for the money (never really look at it closely) but I'm not sure that 'best of' compilation is particularly reliable.

For example:

  • Nikon D600 as the 'best prosumer camera' despite the fact that it has been replaced by the D610 to resolve the oil splatter problems that were reported on the D600.
  • The description of the Canon 70D ('Best high end DSLR') includes 'for the first time providing camcorder-like autofocus capabilities in a DSLR', even though the SLT design allows for video autofocus.
  • The description of the A58 describes it as one of the 'budget-friendly options for those who prefer traditional DSLRs'. Traditional DSLR? With an EVF and translucent mirror?

I'm always wary when a reviewer asserts that thing X is 'best'. The idea of 'best' can only properly relate to an individual, i.e. a certain camera is the best choice for an individual person in a specific situation for a specific task.

Strictly speaking, it's correct about the 70d, as they state "DSLR", whereas Sony offered far earlier fast af in video on "DSLT" models. That one letter is enough to quantify that point. If it had said "DSLR type" we could have bitten.

(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
1

carljervis wrote:

FatColin wrote:

I am sure that the A58 is a lot of camera for the money (never really look at it closely) but I'm not sure that 'best of' compilation is particularly reliable.

For example:

  • Nikon D600 as the 'best prosumer camera' despite the fact that it has been replaced by the D610 to resolve the oil splatter problems that were reported on the D600.
  • The description of the Canon 70D ('Best high end DSLR') includes 'for the first time providing camcorder-like autofocus capabilities in a DSLR', even though the SLT design allows for video autofocus.
  • The description of the A58 describes it as one of the 'budget-friendly options for those who prefer traditional DSLRs'. Traditional DSLR? With an EVF and translucent mirror?

I'm always wary when a reviewer asserts that thing X is 'best'. The idea of 'best' can only properly relate to an individual, i.e. a certain camera is the best choice for an individual person in a specific situation for a specific task.

Strictly speaking, it's correct about the 70d, as they state "DSLR", whereas Sony offered far earlier fast af in video on "DSLT" models. That one letter is enough to quantify that point. If it had said "DSLR type" we could have bitten.

Yup, I wondered if they were being intentional in using DSLR there but they describe the A58 as 'Best value DSLR', which suggests to me that they aren't interested in (or not really aware of) the distinction.  I suspect it's a case of simply not looking beyond the Canon / Nikon marketing blurb / conventional wisdom.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,197
He called A58 "Best Value DSLR" not "DSLR Type"
1

carljervis wrote:

Strictly speaking, it's correct about the 70d, as they state "DSLR", whereas Sony offered far earlier fast af in video on "DSLT" models. That one letter is enough to quantify that point. If it had said "DSLR type" we could have bitten.

Yes but he said that the A58 was "Best Value DSLR" which negates your point. He didn't say "DSLR Type" for the A58. So for that reason he was wrong about the 70D. You can't have it both ways.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
Vikas Rana
OP Vikas Rana Contributing Member • Posts: 916
Re: He called A58 "Best Value DSLR" not "DSLR Type"
1

tbcass wrote:

carljervis wrote:

Strictly speaking, it's correct about the 70d, as they state "DSLR", whereas Sony offered far earlier fast af in video on "DSLT" models. That one letter is enough to quantify that point. If it had said "DSLR type" we could have bitten.

Yes but he said that the A58 was "Best Value DSLR" which negates your point. He didn't say "DSLR Type" for the A58. So for that reason he was wrong about the 70D. You can't have it both ways.

I think he don't even know Sony yet! How could he miss the brand new A7 in mirrorless lineup???

Or may be he could not afford A7! lolz

 Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Mellowmark Contributing Member • Posts: 679
Re: He called A58 "Best Value DSLR" not "DSLR Type"

Sony A58 is not a DSLR.  

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can put up a blog and award best this and that - it means squat.

Best value DSLR is arguably a used D7000 or 60D (have seen both for under £400 in the UK) but obviously that depends what you want and what you want it for.

Best value Sony DSLR is probably a used A580 if you can find one at a decent price (under £300).

The A58 is quite a lot of camera for the money though (as low as £259 new, body only or £299 with kit lens).  Paid a little less than that for my A37 this time last year but going rate was around £270 to £299 with kit lens and A58 is a minor upgrade on that (evf, screen, sensor).  The lack of a standard cable remote socket means I would probably never buy one though as I do a lot of tripod stuff.

 Mellowmark's gear list:Mellowmark's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

as much as I hate the A58. if it drops to $399 shipped, it would be a decent backup cam.

havoc315 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58
2

Obviously, I'm a Sony fan.

But I think this is very misleading.  They are looking at the "best" introduced in 2013.. Not necessarily the best value that is currently on the market.  And likely looking at the introductory MSRPs, not the actual selling price as of today.

For example, the Nikon D3200 (a 2012) camera now sells for the same price as the A58.  Is the A58 a better camera and better value than the Nikon D3200?

The Nikon has:
Higher resolution sensor.  (24 vs 20)

About 1/2 stop better noise performance.

Larger, higher resolution LCD.

Better overall IQ.

In terms of continuous shooting performance:  At full resolution, the A58 can only shoot about 5fps, and only for about 6 RAW frames total.  The Nikon D3200 can shoot 4fps, but for 12 RAW frames.  I'd rather have a 3-second burst of 12 frames, than a 1.2 second burst of 6 frames.

The few advantages I can see in the A58:  Better live view (as is always the case when comparing dSLT to dSLR), and the A58 has a tiltable LCD.

But if I was spending $500 on a new dSLR, I would be hard-pressed to say that the A58 is a better camera than the Nikon D3200.

 havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
123Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 4,643
SLT = DSLR
2

Mellowmark wrote:

Sony A58 is not a DSLR.

  • DSLR stands for: Digital Single Lens Reflex - all the new Alphas are digital, they do have single lens and there's reflex in mirror. All conditions to become DSLR are met.
123Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 4,643
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

havoc315 wrote:

Obviously, I'm a Sony fan.

But I think this is very misleading. They are looking at the "best" introduced in 2013.. Not necessarily the best value that is currently on the market. And likely looking at the introductory MSRPs, not the actual selling price as of today.

For example, the Nikon D3200 (a 2012) camera now sells for the same price as the A58. Is the A58 a better camera and better value than the Nikon D3200?

The Nikon has:
Higher resolution sensor. (24 vs 20)

That's like what, 500 pixels wider from like 5500 pixels wide. Not significant at all.

About 1/2 stop better noise performance.

When I'm doing comparisons using the online comparisons, I'm not seeing this. I'm looking side by side 3200 ISO raws and I'm not seeing less noise on the Nikon over the Sony.

Larger, higher resolution LCD.

Better overall IQ.

I have not seen any evidence to support that claim.

In terms of continuous shooting performance: At full resolution, the A58 can only shoot about 5fps, and only for about 6 RAW frames total. The Nikon D3200 can shoot 4fps, but for 12 RAW frames. I'd rather have a 3-second burst of 12 frames, than a 1.2 second burst of 6 frames.

I'll just stick with my A57. It burst nice and fast and long.

The few advantages I can see in the A58: Better live view (as is always the case when comparing dSLT to dSLR), and the A58 has a tiltable LCD.

Plus proper camcorder like auto focusing during video, making the Sony the no-brainer choice for the average family.

But if I was spending $500 on a new dSLR, I would be hard-pressed to say that the A58 is a better camera than the Nikon D3200.

Others say the Sony is the better choice.

havoc315 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

123Mike wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

Obviously, I'm a Sony fan.

But I think this is very misleading. They are looking at the "best" introduced in 2013.. Not necessarily the best value that is currently on the market. And likely looking at the introductory MSRPs, not the actual selling price as of today.

For example, the Nikon D3200 (a 2012) camera now sells for the same price as the A58. Is the A58 a better camera and better value than the Nikon D3200?

The Nikon has:
Higher resolution sensor. (24 vs 20)

That's like what, 500 pixels wider from like 5500 pixels wide. Not significant at all.

The question was "best" --- You may not personally feel that 24 is significantly better than 20.

About 1/2 stop better noise performance.

When I'm doing comparisons using the online comparisons, I'm not seeing this. I'm looking side by side 3200 ISO raws and I'm not seeing less noise on the Nikon over the Sony.

OK, your eyes aren't seeing it.  Every professional reviewer sees it.  The DXOMark scores aren't even close.

Certainly, you can't credibly say that the Sony is better than the Nikon.

Larger, higher resolution LCD.

Better overall IQ.

I have not seen any evidence to support that claim.

No evidence?  Really?

DXOMark score of 81 vs 74.  Other than your own subjective opinion, do you have any evidence that Sony A58 has better IQ than the Nikon D3200?

In terms of continuous shooting performance: At full resolution, the A58 can only shoot about 5fps, and only for about 6 RAW frames total. The Nikon D3200 can shoot 4fps, but for 12 RAW frames. I'd rather have a 3-second burst of 12 frames, than a 1.2 second burst of 6 frames.

I'll just stick with my A57. It burst nice and fast and long.

Yup, love the A57.  But that has nothing to do with this.

The few advantages I can see in the A58: Better live view (as is always the case when comparing dSLT to dSLR), and the A58 has a tiltable LCD.

Plus proper camcorder like auto focusing during video, making the Sony the no-brainer choice for the average family.

But if I was spending $500 on a new dSLR, I would be hard-pressed to say that the A58 is a better camera than the Nikon D3200.

Others say the Sony is the better choice.

So really, the argument that the A58 is the best value dSLR, comes down to basically one thing -- camcorder-like-video?  So by that logic, the Sony should be the best choice at all levels.  Best mid-level, best prosumer, etc, etc.

As I said, the A58 may be a perfectly decent camera.  But the only reason anybody rational would call it the "best" would be if they limited the review to solely cameras introduced in 2013, based on msrp... Without looking at real world pricing and current availability.

I'd be hard pressed to recommend the A58 to anybody over the D3200, unless they are shooting lots of video.  But for someone primarily concerned with still photography, it would be very very hard for me to recommend the A58.

 havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
havoc315 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487
Re: SLT = DSLR

123Mike wrote:

Mellowmark wrote:

Sony A58 is not a DSLR.

  • DSLR stands for: Digital Single Lens Reflex - all the new Alphas are digital, they do have single lens and there's reflex in mirror. All conditions to become DSLR are met.

Ummm no.  The Sony dSLT mirrors do not reflex.  I think you are confusing reflex with reflect.  The Sony dSLTs use a stationary mirror--- no reflex at all.

 havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

Speaking of NOT value, I just saw an A300 with "optimized" 18-70mm kit lens for $750 on Craigslist posted 2 days ago. Sometimes I wonder where people get these prices.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

 thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,862
Re: SLT = DSLR
2

havoc315 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

Mellowmark wrote:

Sony A58 is not a DSLR.

  • DSLR stands for: Digital Single Lens Reflex - all the new Alphas are digital, they do have single lens and there's reflex in mirror. All conditions to become DSLR are met.

Ummm no. The Sony dSLT mirrors do not reflex. I think you are confusing reflex with reflect. The Sony dSLTs use a stationary mirror--- no reflex at all.

Sorry, wrong. The mirrors in twin-lens reflex cameras are stationary just like SLT mirrors, but they are still reflex mirrors.

havoc315 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487
Re: Best Value DSLR - Sony A58

thebustos wrote:

Speaking of NOT value, I just saw an A300 with "optimized" 18-70mm kit lens for $750 on Craigslist posted 2 days ago. Sometimes I wonder where people get these prices.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

Some sellers refuse to research current selling prices, and base it off what they originally paid for the camera.  The mentality of, "I paid $1000 for this when new... surely it must still be worth $750 now."   I paid $1,000 for my A100...

 havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads