When is DF expected to be available?

Started Nov 19, 2013 | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,626
When is DF expected to be available?

I am wondering when these will be available to see one in the flesh. I am thinking of getting an A7r but would like to see one of these in hand before I made a final decision.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +7 more
Nikon Df Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Patrick McMahon
Patrick McMahon Senior Member • Posts: 1,253
November 28th

A little curious.... why would you consider purchasing 2 vastly different cameras?

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +5 more
OfCounsel Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: When is DF expected to be available?

Adorama says "estimated ship date November 28", but not sure if that means the camera will be available on or before that date in-store for handing.  I am also curious as to your interest in the Df and Sony; vastly different cameras.

SamG10 Regular Member • Posts: 310

I don't do a lot of sports photography so i am thinking of selling my D4 and get a Df instead.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
NTNphoto Regular Member • Posts: 236

My local shop told me they'll be in the day before thanksgiving according to their nikon rep. I'm guessing the idea is get the cameras in on Wednesday give shops a chance to get them stocked and then put them on sale on Black Friday.

He also told me that the breakdown would be something like 80% kits 20% body only.

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Leica Summarit-M 35mm F2.4 ASPH Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +6 more
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,086

Since the 28th is Thanksgiving in the U.S. that makes sense.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Alpha Tech Regular Member • Posts: 406

I am yet another forum member here interested in buying the A7R. It was a difficult to decide which to order first. I plan to get both the Df and the A7R. To some extent I am still reconsidering one camera over the other even though I have pre-ordered the Df. The appeal of both cameras  is so great that it nearly makes me want to order nothing and just wait.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
OP Astrophotographer 10 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,626

Thanks for the answers.
I wouldn't describe them as vastly different. They are both smaller full frame cameras. Neither are DSLRs.

I have a D800E and its a great camera but its big and large and the lenses mostly large and heavy.

I also have a few Fuji X series cameras and they are small and light and retro looking. I use them way more hence the interest in a more compact design and also the appeal of the retro look.

I really want the A7r but the DF is interesting and the D4 sensor the main appeal. But I think it will still be too large and heavy despite being smaller than the D800.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +7 more
Patrick McMahon
That I can see

Alpha Tech wrote:

I am yet another forum member here interested in buying the A7R. It was a difficult to decide which to order first. I plan to get both the Df and the A7R. To some extent I am still reconsidering one camera over the other even though I have pre-ordered the Df. The appeal of both cameras is so great that it nearly makes me want to order nothing and just wait.

I have a much easier time understanding buying both and it illustrates my earlier question. They are such different cameras that they can be a compliment to one another. I don't understand why someone would be choosing between the 2 based on their differences.

Sony RX100 IV Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +5 more
Patrick McMahon

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I wouldn't describe them as vastly different. They are both smaller full frame cameras. Neither are DSLRs.

scratching me head.

I have a D800E and its a great camera but its big and large and the lenses mostly large and heavy.

I also have a few Fuji X series cameras and they are small and light and retro looking. I use them way more hence the interest in a more compact design and also the appeal of the retro look.

I really want the A7r but the DF is interesting and the D4 sensor the main appeal. But I think it will still be too large and heavy despite being smaller than the D800.

I think the D610 would be more on par with the features offered in the Sony, not the Df and you could use your Nikon glass. I do understand the retro appeal...

Good Luck with the Sony!

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,803
It was available on September 18, 2012

But it was called a D600 back then. I kid, I kid!

InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078
Idiots...

...idiots like me are hoping to receive their preorders on Nov. 28th. 

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more
brony etr Regular Member • Posts: 140

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I am wondering when these will be available to see one in the flesh. I am thinking of getting an A7r but would like to see one of these in hand before I made a final decision.

Greg.

i was in the same boat, i had pre ordered the a7r but changed to the df. for me it was lens range and the d4 sensor that won out.

i was also a little concerned about how quickly sony update there nex range, i would hate to spend 2.5k on a camera then have it updated/cannibalised in 3 months by sony, but thats just me. obviously even if it was that doesn't change the fact that the a7r is stunning, and i have no idea if this would happen, its was just a thought and played a small part in my choice

i think you'll be right either way, and no doubt by the start of dec they'll be a few reviews around and some stores will have a demo df to try

calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,578

I received an inquiry for special order processing from NPS so I would expect that the camera will be available to the pro shooters within the next 6 weeks and be in camera stores for the general public to buy by February.

optic67 Forum Member • Posts: 81

calson wrote:

I received an inquiry for special order processing from NPS so I would expect that the camera will be available to the pro shooters within the next 6 weeks and be in camera stores for the general public to buy by February.

so if you pre ordered , there is not much chance of seeing this before christmas,

optic67's gear list:optic67's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D750
Re: That I can see

Patrick McMahon wrote:

Alpha Tech wrote:

I am yet another forum member here interested in buying the A7R. It was a difficult to decide which to order first. I plan to get both the Df and the A7R. To some extent I am still reconsidering one camera over the other even though I have pre-ordered the Df. The appeal of both cameras is so great that it nearly makes me want to order nothing and just wait.

I have a much easier time understanding buying both and it illustrates my earlier question. They are such different cameras that they can be a compliment to one another. I don't understand why someone would be choosing between the 2 based on their differences.

It is very simple to understand. I want both cameras, but I am not going to become involved with two cameras simultaneously. Been there, done that. Not once either. A few times. It takes the fun and excitement out of new camera ownership as one suddenly has to learn many new things at the same time, turning the experience into work. I plan to own the Df soon, and then the A7R next year. At least that is the plan for now. If anything strongly negative is revealed between now and next weekend, I will cancel my preorder and just wait.

JSW2624 New Member • Posts: 7

forest3 wrote:

calson wrote:

so if you pre ordered , there is not much chance of seeing this before christmas,

I hope that's not the case, but just realized Hanukkah starts the 27th, so if you have an order in with B&H or Adorama they'll both be closed for the holiday, no?

JSW2624's gear list:JSW2624's gear list
Nikon Df

JSW2624 wrote:

forest3 wrote:

calson wrote:

I hope that's not the case, but just realized Hanukkah starts the 27th, so if you have an order in with B&H or Adorama they'll both be closed for the holiday, no?

B&H will be open on Thanksgiving Day. But watch out for UPS. As I recall, they stop routine deliveries during the Thanksgiving weekend because they don't want drivers wasting time in traffic with Black Friday shoppers. Unhappy holidays ahead for Df customers.

RaajS Veteran Member • Posts: 6,096
Re: Idiots...

InTheMist wrote:

...idiots like me are hoping to receive their preorders on Nov. 28th.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

+2!  Idiots, that is!

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,002

calson wrote:

I doubt there is a 6 week backlog to get the Df in the hands of NPS pre-orders first.  Many pre-orders to the general public will be filled by Christmas.  Now if you're talking about being able to just walk into a store and buy a Df off the shelf, well that could be February.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads