Olympus Lens Distortion Correction Does Not Exist???

Started Nov 19, 2013 | Discussions
mr30 New Member • Posts: 8
Olympus Lens Distortion Correction Does Not Exist???

Can anyone else test this?

If I remember correctly I believe Olympus cameras have lens data embedded in their chip, so lens distortion on OOC JPEGs should be already corrected. I'm confused because I found the RAW and JPEG versions look exactly the same on both my EPL2 and EM1 shot using 12/f2.0 lens. So I took a picture with each camera and applied distortion correction (use lens information) with Olympus Viewer 3 on each RAW file, and the result is obvious..

So.. My question is, is the RAW file already corrected and by using OV3 I'm over-correcting it? Or lens correction simply does not exist?

EPL2 Original

EPL2 Corrected

EM1 Original

EM1 Corrected

mr30's gear list:mr30's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
_sem_ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,033
Re: Olympus Lens Distortion Correction Does Not Exist???

AFAIK (not a mFT expert), most serious converters include distortion correction for mFT, and you need to look for freeware stuff if you want uncorrected raw conversions (Raw Therapee maybe).

However, built-in correction is not perfect, and meticulous lens tests show a bit of remaining distortion in corrected images. DxO OP is known for accurate distortion correction.

NickR Regular Member • Posts: 424

It is automatically corrected by the RAW converter.  That being said, I have definitely seen remaining distortion in my Panasonic images which I correct in Lightroom or Photoshop.

azazel1024 Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

Yup most RAW converters correct it automatically. It doesn't mean they are perfect. If you check a lot of lens reviews they have converted and unconverted distortion listed for a lens. In most cases, you'll have between .1-1% distortion remaining after correction (either because it is slightly complex distortion, uneven distortion and/or the lens profile isn't exact).

IIRC Lightroom has an option to disable automatic lens distortion corrections.

IMHO, 1% or less distortion is below the level that I ever really notice.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
DonSC Senior Member • Posts: 1,032

azazel1024 wrote:

Yup most RAW converters correct it automatically. It doesn't mean they are perfect.

Yes, large variations. You can see this if you look at the "Architecture" section of this review comparing a few RAW converters: http://www.twin-pixels.com/best-photo-raw-converters/

OP mr30 New Member • Posts: 8

Thanks everyone, I understand now.

I guess for me it's not necessary to use OV3 as the time it consumes is just not worth it.

mr30's gear list:mr30's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 9,584

mr30 wrote:

Can anyone else test this?

If I remember correctly I believe Olympus cameras have lens data embedded in their chip, so lens distortion on OOC JPEGs should be already corrected. I'm confused because I found the RAW and JPEG versions look exactly the same on both my EPL2 and EM1 shot using 12/f2.0 lens. So I took a picture with each camera and applied distortion correction (use lens information) with Olympus Viewer 3 on each RAW file, and the result is obvious..

So.. My question is, is the RAW file already corrected and by using OV3 I'm over-correcting it? Or lens correction simply does not exist?

EPL2 Original

EPL2 Corrected

EM1 Original

EM1 Corrected

The correction data is embeded in the raw file, some software will correct others will not.

Jpegs get corrected in camera, guess you will need to find some raw software that will not correct to see the difference

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads