Digital Photo Professional (Canon's DPP) doesn't run on Microsoft Surface Pro

Started Nov 19, 2013 | Discussions
Martin717
Martin717 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Digital Photo Professional (Canon's DPP) doesn't run on Microsoft Surface Pro

Canon’s Digital Photo Professional (DPP) doesn't run on my Microsoft Surface Pro computer. You can install DPP but if you start the application it shows a weird error message that the screen resolution would be too less. And ends execution.

In general, DPP runs on Windows 8 and 8.1. But not on Microsoft Surface Pro. I don’t know any other application that runs on Windows 8.1 but not on Microsoft Surface Pro. Obviously Canon’s DPP was programmed without any care.

Microsoft’s Surface Pro computer has a very high pixel density like a smartphone and a resolution of 1920×1080. It would be a good system for using DPP on the go.

I hope Canon can fix this.

Martin

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,364
Re: Digital Photo Professional (Canon's DPP) doesn't run on Microsoft Surface Pro

Martin717 wrote:

In general, DPP runs on Windows 8 and 8.1. But not on Microsoft Surface Pro. I don’t know any other application that runs on Windows 8.1 but not on Microsoft Surface Pro. Obviously Canon’s DPP was programmed without any care.

If this thread is correct, DPP is complaining about not having 1024x768 pixels after you adjust for the display scaling  (e.g., if you use 200% scaling, it probably thinks you have 960x540 pixels).

CanonRumors Forum - Make DPP Work On Windows 8 (Surface 2 Pro)

The thread mentions a Properties setting that you can use as a workaround to get this and another similar Canon application to run.

Martin717
OP Martin717 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Digital Photo Professional (Canon's DPP) doesn't run on Microsoft Surface Pro

Thank you, Tom_N, for this tip. This will help.

(Ironically, it's a photo processing software that does not like high DPI monitors...)

Martin

magbits New Member • Posts: 1

Thank you, checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" on the Properties of the application fixed this problem for both the Digital Photo Professional and the Picture Style Editor. I think this may fix other weird behaviour in other unrelated applications which try to work but can't really. At least Canon's app displayed some kind of error message.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads