Fuji X-M1 compared to Sony Nex 3N

Started Nov 19, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
telefunk
telefunk Contributing Member • Posts: 580
Fuji X-M1 compared to Sony Nex 3N

Sony Nex cameras are being given away practically for free in corn flake boxes nowadays (new for 200 euro).

I wanted to see how they perform, so I took my memory card and went to a local store to look at the Fuji X-series versus Nex.

I took some test shots inside with a Sony Nex 3N and a Fiji X-M1, both with 16-50 kit lens. Yes, it's a rough comparison, but the two cameras use nearly the same settings for the same scene. One pic at 16mm, the second at 50mm (24 / 70mm equiv). All jpg.

The Fuji XM1 was much nicer to handle, clearly has less noise, but more chromatic aberations. What do you think?

Fuji XM1  wide

Nex 3N wide

Fuji XM1 tele

Nex 3N tele

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 808 +4 more
Fujifilm X-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
57LowRider Senior Member • Posts: 3,833
Re: Fuji X-M1 compared to Sony Nex 3N

Doesn't look like there's much of a diff except WB.

I think Fuji should market the X-M1 in a kit with the pancake as a "Creep Shot Special", it would be a winner.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Stephen787 Regular Member • Posts: 489

sony NEX is not bad if you can get it for a very good price. But if you want high quality IQ, you will need good lens from fuji, therefore X-M1.

cheddargav Veteran Member • Posts: 4,493

Hi,
Thing about a test like this is all you're doing is comparing the lenses.
Look at the system, Fuji and m43 offer much better systems than the NEX.
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Veteran Member • Posts: 9,949
Fuji sensor needs more light than Sony?

The images are not exposed the same. For the wide shots, the Sony seems underexposed. For the tele shots, they seem similar in brightness but the Sony EV is lower.

This leads me to believe that the Sony sensor is more efficient.

I do not see the chromatic aberration you mentioned. Is it in the corners of the X-M1 shots?

telefunk
telefunk OP Contributing Member • Posts: 580
Re: Fuji sensor needs more light than Sony?

I see the chromatic aberations in the fluorescent lights running overhead. In Fuji XM1 they are accompanied by a blue halo.

Regarding the other comments: you have all stated exactly my feelings about Nex. Bad interface, menues, lenses. No upper iso limit....They don't seemn to have been made by photographers.

But the point of my rough test was to see how much beter the mythical IQ of Fuji would be. And I must say I am very surpridsed how well that crappy little Nex3N held its own.

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 808 +4 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Veteran Member • Posts: 9,949
Re: Fuji sensor needs more light than Sony?

telefunk wrote:

I see the chromatic aberations in the fluorescent lights running overhead. In Fuji XM1 they are accompanied by a blue halo.

Thank you for replying.

Usually chromatic aberration involves blue/purple on one side and red/magenta on the other.

In this case it seems to be an edging artifact, possibly added in JPEG processing. The Sony does not show this at all.

What bothers me more are the corners, which are very soft from both cameras, perhaps due to being out of focus, or perhaps due to mediocre quality of the lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads