LF1 owners, your comments, please

Started Nov 17, 2013 | Discussions
Impulses Senior Member • Posts: 6,309
Re: LF1 owners, your comments, please

The EVF barely protrudes, it's not an issue at all as far as slipping it into a pant's pocket.

It's got a rubbery/soft touch coating (the entire back face does) and it seems to have peeled a tiny little bit on the corner of my EVF housing tho, it's pretty minor (like a needle's head size) and hasn't continued to peel after I yanked the little bit off... I was probably rough with it at some point when cramming it into a pouch or my pocket, or maybe just a slight defect, not concerned about it at this point. Hasn't peeled any more.

It's a small, low res EVF, sure... But it's quite usable IMO. I didn't buy it for the EVF at all, would've bought it even if it didn't have it (the reach, wifi implementation, battery life, pano mode, etc were all more important to me), but I've found myself using it when I've wanted an extra bit of steadying while shooting at the long end and such. Used it a lot during a concert and it seemed to help.

I added a Flipbac grip, should've ordered it from B&H as it took forever to ship directly from them, works well enough though, makes it a little less slippery.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +30 more
Impulses Senior Member • Posts: 6,309

I wouldn't buy it to use the EVF primarily of course, I doubt anyone would recommend that (after having used it) though I'm sure some hoped it'd be better (or at least larger?) despite the specs... It's just an aid, it's useful on occasion (extreme sunlight, when you want some help keeping it stable, etc) but not a main feature, it's still better off for having it than otherwise IMO.

It's not like something such as the S120 is significantly smaller despite lacking the EVF (and having a shorter reach, though it does go wider at 24mm). To me it came down to price and it just seemed like the LF1 offered more for a similar price, and for me it was worth the extra $100+ over an older S110. The Canon S feel a little more solid, build quality wise, but the LF1 still seems better than any of my previous Sony/Canon P&S (I've handled the S models, never owned one).

I've gotten a lot of use out of the wifi remote control capability, love that. I bought it mainly to take with me to parties, concerts, and places where I wouldn't or couldn't bring my micro four thirds camera. It's a nice pocket camera, I think it's biggest and only meaningful competition are really the S110/120... Unless you splurge on an RX100 that's not quite as pocketable.

I also don't mind the in camera charging at all, I rather prefer it... One less charger to carry when I travel with both cameras, and being able to charge via USB means I can easily charge it in the car off a phone charger or even in my pocket from a USB battery pack. Monoprice sells a longer cable if you need one. Don't spring for the retractable Panasonic cable, it's awful and huge. Scosche makes a smaller retractable cable that comes with a small adapter from micro USB to Panasonic's custom 5-pin whatever port.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +30 more
Lobalobo
Lobalobo Senior Member • Posts: 2,433

Impulses wrote:

I wouldn't buy it to use the EVF primarily of course, I doubt anyone would recommend that

I would recommend the LF1 primarily for the LF1. I like a lot about the camera, including the larger sensor, but the EVF is key to me as I don't like to shoot from a screen, ever.  The EVF is perfectly usable for composition, which is the main point.  I prefer the external EVF on the LX7 and the LX7 in general, but it's bigger.

Barry Margolius Senior Member • Posts: 1,833

Lobalobo wrote:

Impulses wrote:

I wouldn't buy it to use the EVF primarily of course, I doubt anyone would recommend that

I would recommend the LF1 primarily for the LF1. I like a lot about the camera, including the larger sensor, but the EVF is key to me as I don't like to shoot from a screen, ever. The EVF is perfectly usable for composition, which is the main point. I prefer the external EVF on the LX7 and the LX7 in general, but it's bigger.

I agree, and I did buy the LF1 primarily for the EVF.  I use the EVF pretty much 100% of the time, and I am quite happy with it.  Could it be better?  Clearly yes, but for me it is quite good enough - I can easily compose my pictures with it.  I can even tell when my subject is smiling or not.  I do not use it for focusing.

(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 11

I sold all my great canon equipment to b&h & bought the lf1 probably in 9/13.  just got tried of lugging the heavy equipment all over the country.  (by the way, b&h is best in the world)!!

love the lf1.  don't like the off/on switch close to the shudder release & have to get use to much smaller controls.  takes great pics & have no problem w/the evf.  it's the only way to go in full sunlight.

here's the rub:  1 feature I bought the lf1 was for the wi/fi.  forget it!!  even the forums say it's almost impossible to connect.  actually don't need it w/great cable hook-up & card readers on the pc.  still mad that I probably paid 50bucks to get it on camera.  maybe I'll get a refund from Panasonic??!!!

here's the funny...!!   got this useless little basic owners's manual.  call Panasonic support..."not a problem,  you'll get the full-up manual whenever"!!!  got it!!  much bigger looks good!!  takes me a couple weeks to figure out it's the same one in bigger print & pages!!  call 'sonic "sorry we no longer sell/send/ support the full up owner's manual for advanced features"!!!  of course, I know it's on the d...software cd. try using that in the grand canyon or times square!!   soooooooooo took the disk to kinko/fed-ex,  got a nice binded copy for 30bucks.  love it!!!  guess i'll bill 'sonic for the 30bucks plus the unused wi/fi feature.  hey,  maybe class action???

OP GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 7,791

Good luck with billing Panasonic.  However, thank you for responding to my post.  Every bit of info helps.

At this time, I'mnot going for the LF1; but will wait for the LF2 and the competitor's responses.  I think it's one of those cameras that triggers an industry wide response.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon G7 X II +2 more
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145
My LF1 shots for your comparison.

Some (4 and 7) are taken with handheld low light mode which is awesome!

http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/Panasonic-LF1-test-shots---

www.scottzinda.com
http://instagram.com/phazelag

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm XQ2 Olympus Tough TG-4 +6 more
AnalogJ
AnalogJ Regular Member • Posts: 488
Re: LF1 Award, and some new info

Is the LX7 not under consideration? Sharper lens and better at wide angle.

hattem
hattem Forum Member • Posts: 89

haven't read all comments, but have you read this:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lf1_review/

f.j.s.

hattem's gear list:hattem's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 10,880

lonfrankphoto wrote:

I sold all my great canon equipment to b&h & bought the lf1 probably in 9/13. just got tried of lugging the heavy equipment all over the country. (by the way, b&h is best in the world)!!

love the lf1. don't like the off/on switch close to the shudder release & have to get use to much smaller controls. takes great pics & have no problem w/the evf. it's the only way to go in full sunlight.

here's the rub: 1 feature I bought the lf1 was for the wi/fi. forget it!! even the forums say it's almost impossible to connect. actually don't need it w/great cable hook-up & card readers on the pc. still mad that I probably paid 50bucks to get it on camera. maybe I'll get a refund from Panasonic??!!!

here's the funny...!! got this useless little basic owners's manual. call Panasonic support..."not a problem, you'll get the full-up manual whenever"!!! got it!! much bigger looks good!! takes me a couple weeks to figure out it's the same one in bigger print & pages!! call 'sonic "sorry we no longer sell/send/ support the full up owner's manual for advanced features"!!! of course, I know it's on the d...software cd. try using that in the grand canyon or times square!! soooooooooo took the disk to kinko/fed-ex, got a nice binded copy for 30bucks. love it!!! guess i'll bill 'sonic for the 30bucks plus the unused wi/fi feature. hey, maybe class action???

Searchable PDF is great -  Put it on your phone and you can find what you need easily.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 14,092
Re: LF1 owners, your comments, please WiFi

I did send my LF1 back.  The IQ was OK, as was the EVF (just like the FZ150's), but not good enough at the initial UK price).  I'm again tempted with current offer prices making it a better buy but know it'll never match the LX7's IQ.  On the WiFi.  I had only partial success with iPhone4/iPad3 - could connect and playback but not control for taking snaps. Surprisingly, the Android application, on a basic model phone, was fully functional if a little slow.

If I see the LF1 at under £250 (was originally £379) then I'll probably get one.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
pcake Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Re: LF1 Award, and some new info

AnalogJ wrote:

Is the LX7 not under consideration? Sharper lens and better at wide angle.

but sadly not quite enough reach.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Tripeiro New Member • Posts: 19

I really like my LF1, it is a really nice compromise if pants pockability is a priority. For its size you really can`t ask for a lot more.

The EVF is not as bad as some people make it out to be, it is quite usable, but it could and should be better. That is something Panasonic should improve in the next model. That and add a sensor instead of a button to switch between viewfinder and screen. It is annoying, believe me.

The image quality is not as good as my previous Nikon P7700 (but the P7700 has the double of the LF1 size), but I am happy with the output.

If Panasonic manages to put a better viewfinder, a sensor, and a larger aperture at the long end (even at the cost of some zoom), it will be a gem. As it is, it is a very good camera if pockability is a priority.

I will open a thread with some pictures I made with it from my last trip to Japan.

phazelag

lonfrankphoto wrote:

I sold all my great canon equipment to b&h & bought the lf1 probably in 9/13. just got tried of lugging the heavy equipment all over the country. (by the way, b&h is best in the world)!!

love the lf1. don't like the off/on switch close to the shudder release & have to get use to much smaller controls. takes great pics & have no problem w/the evf. it's the only way to go in full sunlight.

here's the rub: 1 feature I bought the lf1 was for the wi/fi. forget it!! even the forums say it's almost impossible to connect. actually don't need it w/great cable hook-up & card readers on the pc. still mad that I probably paid 50bucks to get it on camera. maybe I'll get a refund from Panasonic??!!!

here's the funny...!! got this useless little basic owners's manual. call Panasonic support..."not a problem, you'll get the full-up manual whenever"!!! got it!! much bigger looks good!! takes me a couple weeks to figure out it's the same one in bigger print & pages!! call 'sonic "sorry we no longer sell/send/ support the full up owner's manual for advanced features"!!! of course, I know it's on the d...software cd. try using that in the grand canyon or times square!! soooooooooo took the disk to kinko/fed-ex, got a nice binded copy for 30bucks. love it!!! guess i'll bill 'sonic for the 30bucks plus the unused wi/fi feature. hey, maybe class action???

Here are my instructions about how the wifi and app work, these should help more than the manual. It actually works great. I use this on my LF1, but with my other cameras, I use an eye-fi card and much prefer it. But the panasonic app has other cool functions that make it worth it.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52389873

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm XQ2 Olympus Tough TG-4 +6 more
phazelag
The wifi instructions are horrible but it actually works great.

windmillgolfer wrote:

I did send my LF1 back. The IQ was OK, as was the EVF (just like the FZ150's), but not good enough at the initial UK price). I'm again tempted with current offer prices making it a better buy but know it'll never match the LX7's IQ. On the WiFi. I had only partial success with iPhone4/iPad3 - could connect and playback but not control for taking snaps. Surprisingly, the Android application, on a basic model phone, was fully functional if a little slow.

If I see the LF1 at under £250 (was originally £379) then I'll probably get one.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

Here are my instructions. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52389873--

www.scottzinda.com
http://instagram.com/phazelag

Cariboo Regular Member • Posts: 414

I think that for battery savings I'd prefer the EVF switch over a sensor, which I imagine would always need to be active looking for an eye? Does such an eye level sensor already exist & work? If you immediately want to review every capture on the LCD, the the switch takes getting used to. For me, I don't playback images much, have review turned off & am also used to the button.

I'd prefer in the next version that that the diopter dial have a lock & the EVF be 50% bigger. I like the longer reach over the LX7's. My rationale is that to gain a wider view, it's MUCH easier to back up a couple of steps than it is to create a telephoto view with a too short lens.

I'd also prefer the body to be a bit longer for better hand grip. My largest annoyance is that the rear dial is so small, too sensitive to press toggle vs. turn & turns in the wrong direction for my thinking, as say do Nikon lenses vs. Canon. But I too often press toggle when I'm trying to spin the dial. It's too small!

David Wyman
David Wyman Regular Member • Posts: 475

At this time, I'mnot going for the LF1; but will wait for the LF2 and the competitor's responses. I think it's one of those cameras that triggers an industry wide response.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Think of all those great photos you're missing in the meantime.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony a6000 Nikon D600
Dan W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,262

At this time, I'mnot going for the LF1; but will wait for the LF2 and the competitor's responses. I think it's one of those cameras that triggers an industry wide response.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Think of all those great photos you're missing in the meantime.

Good point.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads