Panny GX7 Review up at IR...

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions
idp69 Regular Member • Posts: 142
Panny GX7 Review up at IR...
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Owen
Owen Senior Member • Posts: 2,838
Re: Panny GX7 Review up at IR...

Excellent review.

KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,986

I really liked it too.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Laszlo13
Laszlo13 Contributing Member • Posts: 887
Matches my experience so far closely

Although I only had the GX7 for 1 full day, I've quickly become attached to it.  Initially, I debated if I should order it or not, and I had second thoughts about trading in my E-M5.

Great observations in this review, that cover some items I also found very very useful, such as the amazingly smart way the focus assists are implemented.  I love the pinpoint focus feature, as well as the similarly implemented manual focus.  I'm puzzled by the comments about the viewfinder from other reviews, as I found it a massive improvement over the E-M5.  It's very sharp (actually, you can tell focus fairly well without magnification), great color, and very easy to see (I don't wear glasses).  I'm puzzled how dpreview got rainbow / tearing effects, because you have to pan insanely fast to see it.  I also tried very hard to see it blinking but couldn't.  Maybe my eyes have a lower refresh rate, LOL.  The tilt EVF is much more useful than many claim, as it's much more comfortable for me to shoot with my elbow locked against my body, and camera below eye level, viewfinder tilted about 30 deg. up.

I also appreciate the quick way to change certain settings, as explained in the review (auto iso, custom settings, etc.).  Very intuitive and quick.  I've been a long time Oly fan - but I have to say, compared to the E-M5 and previous Pens that I had, it seems Panasonic has spent a lot more time working with photographers in fine tuning the user interface and features.

I am puzzled about an additional thing as well: if they used an HD oriented viewfinder display, why not leverage all the black space for displaying shooting parameters, instead (or as an option in addition to) just an overlay?

Not mentioned in the review, but the mechanical shutter is LOUD - is sounds like a mouse trap going off too.

I also experience the same reaction with the E-M5, where people pay attention because of its SLR shape.  Everyone ignores me when I use my GF5 - I hope the same will apply to the GX7.

It's a fantastic camera, I wasn't sure if it will win me over, but it definitely did.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Ultbruin Forum Member • Posts: 91

Great review.  Spot on.  I've had my GX7 for 2 weeks and love it.  It's my first camera after many years of P&S and I'm very happy I went the GX7.  The custom controls are excellent and really allows you to make the camera yours.  Pairing it with my new 14-140mm makes it a perfect travel lens combo.  And when it gets dark or I'm shooting in low light, the 20mm 1.7 is sharp as can be.

Ultbruin's gear list:Ultbruin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
schirmer Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: Matches my experience so far closely

Laszlo13 wrote:

[...] I'm puzzled how dpreview got rainbow / tearing effects, because you have to pan insanely fast to see it. I also tried very hard to see it blinking but couldn't. Maybe my eyes have a lower refresh rate, LOL.

It's known some people have a much higher temporal resolution than the average. I read about a table tennis player who can see the ball rotate by the marking on it.

-- hide signature --

Many would never speak with a full mouth, but do it with an empty head.
(Orson Welles)

SDPharm Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: Matches my experience so far closely

Laszlo13 wrote:

...I'm puzzled how dpreview got rainbow / tearing effects, because you have to pan insanely fast to see it. I also tried very hard to see it blinking but couldn't. Maybe my eyes have a lower refresh rate, LOL...

You need new retina, man.

What I think actually happened was that DPR knew if they try hard enough they can find the rainbow effects because of the field sequential LCD.  So they tried and reproduced it, and the camera got dinged for it.  Does the rainbow effect really shows up and bother people on a day to day basis?  I don't think so.

SDPharm's gear list:SDPharm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
dr_elis Senior Member • Posts: 1,162
The end of the "GX7 has no AA filter" myth

Assuming the same lenses were used in the tests it is now clear that the AA filter-less Oly E-M1 is the higher resolving piece.

cheddargav Veteran Member • Posts: 4,493
Re: The end of the "GX7 has no AA filter" myth

Assuming the same lenses were used in the tests it is now clear that the AA filter-less Oly E-M1 is the higher resolving piece.

At £500 more expensive I'd hope the E-M1 was better
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
MikeInRomsey
MikeInRomsey Regular Member • Posts: 292
A well balanced and informative review

This is an excellent well written review which gives a good description of the features, many good quality sample photographs and sensible comparisons with alternate offerings. It does not appear to be  biased but fairly identifies the good and bad points.

It makes me ask, "has DP become overly obsessed with masses of figures, graphs that mean little to the average photographer, percentage scores and the much maligned gold and silver awards"?

-- hide signature --

Mike Wenman
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeinromsey/?details=1
Canon S40 -> Canon G9 -> Panasonic GX7

MikeInRomsey's gear list:MikeInRomsey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
igorek7
igorek7 Regular Member • Posts: 288
 igorek7's gear list:igorek7's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung NX500 YI M1 +8 more
texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: A well balanced and informative review

MikeInRomsey wrote:

This is an excellent well written review which gives a good description of the features, many good quality sample photographs and sensible comparisons with alternate offerings. It does not appear to be biased but fairly identifies the good and bad points.

It makes me ask, "has DP become overly obsessed with masses of figures, graphs that mean little to the average photographer, percentage scores and the much maligned gold and silver awards"?

I-R awards "Dave's Picks" and "Editor's Choice" titles to some of the cameras they review.

The "Dave's Pick" award may be roughly analogous to the DPReview Silver award.

The "Editor's Choice" award may be roughly analogous to the DPReview Gold award.

Giving neither of those awards to a camera is roughly analogous to the DPReview Bronze award.

I-R named the GX7 a "Dave's Pick", by the way, not an "Editor's Choice".

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 6,988
Re:Best all round m43 camera to date?

That is the top and bottom of it, think we should all move on now, the camera is fine for a lot of m43 users, if you want a pro feel get the EM-1 or GH3, if you want small get the GM-1. Then there are others in between G6,EP-5, EPL etc. The point is choice I guess; boy do we have some great choices in m43

igorek7 wrote:

This review nicely complements others:

Advent1sam's gear list:Advent1sam's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +6 more
igorek7
igorek7 Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re:Best all round m43 camera to date?

Advent1sam wrote:

That is the top and bottom of it, think we should all move on now, the camera is fine for a lot of m43 users, if you want a pro feel get the EM-1 or GH3, if you want small get the GM-1. Then there are others in between G6,EP-5, EPL etc. The point is choice I guess; boy do we have some great choices in m43

Well, there is as well a selection of reviews to help make those choices
However, the best advice is to test the new equipment yourself before buying.

igorek7's gear list:igorek7's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung NX500 YI M1 +8 more
Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,684
Re: Absolutely the best review I've read about this camera

It speaks to my needs and I really like what he has to say.

Isabel

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Excellent review! And he says the EVF …

… criticized elsewhere, is GREAT!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,986
Re: Absolutely the best review I've read about this camera

I agree. Plus is was REALLY nice to read because it had black print on a white page, instead of DPRs, dark  and a pain to look at, white print on a black page.... but mostly because I could just could scroll down the page and didn't have to change pages 13 times.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Gerald Gardner Junior Member • Posts: 46

A first-rate review of the camera.   I've had a GX7 for a few weeks--it's the best micro 4/3rds. camera (of several) I've owned or tried.   I concur on the EVF:  It's excellent (I'm an eyeglass wearer; though it did take a while to get the right setting of the diopter adjustment slider).  I have to pan the camera very rapidly to see any color tearing; I've seen no tearing in hours of normal use.  Also, the EVF is extremely sharp and colors are excellent (Panasonic says EVF reproduces full spectrum of AdobeRGB colors).

Image quality of the GX7 is essentially state-of-the-art.  The ergonomics are the best of any advanced digital camera I've used.   Superb layout/design of control wheels, customizable function buttons, etc., (and also set-up menus).

tt321
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,608
Re: A well balanced and informative review

texinwien wrote:

MikeInRomsey wrote:

This is an excellent well written review which gives a good description of the features, many good quality sample photographs and sensible comparisons with alternate offerings. It does not appear to be biased but fairly identifies the good and bad points.

I-R awards "Dave's Picks" and "Editor's Choice" titles to some of the cameras they review.

The "Dave's Pick" award may be roughly analogous to the DPReview Silver award.

The "Editor's Choice" award may be roughly analogous to the DPReview Gold award.

Giving neither of those awards to a camera is roughly analogous to the DPReview Bronze award.

I-R named the GX7 a "Dave's Pick", by the way, not an "Editor's Choice".

Have you done a statistic as to the ratio of Dave's Picks to Editor's Choices vs. the Silver and Gold awards?

Mike Raub Regular Member • Posts: 409
Subject Reaction to Camera

It's interesting to note the reviewer observed that candid subjects viewed the camera as non-threatning, a different reaction than seen with pro-level (and sized) DSLR's. I noticed the same thing while doing street photography in Laos and Thailand a couple of weeks ago. People pretty much ignored me and the camera, which is what I wanted. Point a full frame Canon with a huge L lens at people and they often look a bit uncomfortable--like I'm invading their privacy to an uncomfortable degree.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads