Nikon Canada forcing Df purchase with kit lens?

Started Nov 11, 2013 | Discussions
OP digitalphotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 658
warranty

edispics wrote:

Yup, and I checked and Lozeau in Montreal will be carrying body only as well, although they only have an indicative price and not the final purchase price. Henry's in Toronto is so far listing only the kit. But at least we got us some choice! LOL

Yea, hopefully these are original Canadian warranty, not grey imports.

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II
eastvillager Senior Member • Posts: 1,126
Re: prob frustrating for retailers too

Judging from the reaction to its tank size body i think interest has waned already. Anybody I know that had interest in it like myself are turned off by its bulk and overly complicated top controls.

Jogger wrote:

Yea, that seems to be the case. I imagine that the retailers are just as frustrated. I called my local "Henrys" and told them that I wasnt interested in the kit lens at all, but, there was nothing they could do about it. By the time that the body-only options are available, i suspect interest in the Df will have significantly waned.

digitalphotographer wrote:

Does anyone know why in Canada one has to buy the 50mm "special edition" lens with the Df? There are no body-only options. Does this happen in any other markets other than Canada?

According to many, the Df is already overpriced as it is, but now Nikon Canada wants to squeeze owners of existing 50mm f/1.8 lens one more time by forcing us to pay more for a lens that we already have? What's going on at Nikon Canada these days?

By the way, I really don't like the silver ring on the new special edition lens, totally destroying the new design, but that's just me. In the end, design or not, Canadians shouldn't be forced to pay for the kit if one only wants the body?

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +2 more
Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
The Camera Store body only offer?

harveysteeves wrote:

The Camera Store in Calgary is offering bodies only as well as Don's Photo in Saskatoon.

I didn't see this on their website. Is it a in-store only deal?

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 +50 more
Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
Re: prob frustrating for retailers too

eastvillager wrote:

Judging from the reaction to its tank size body i think interest has waned already. Anybody I know that had interest in it like myself are turned off by its bulk and overly complicated top controls.

Jogger wrote:

Yea, that seems to be the case. I imagine that the retailers are just as frustrated. I called my local "Henrys" and told them that I wasnt interested in the kit lens at all, but, there was nothing they could do about it. By the time that the body-only options are available, i suspect interest in the Df will have significantly waned.

Does anyone know why in Canada one has to buy the 50mm "special edition" lens with the Df? There are no body-only options. Does this happen in any other markets other than Canada?

According to many, the Df is already overpriced as it is, but now Nikon Canada wants to squeeze owners of existing 50mm f/1.8 lens one more time by forcing us to pay more for a lens that we already have? What's going on at Nikon Canada these days?

By the way, I really don't like the silver ring on the new special edition lens, totally destroying the new design, but that's just me. In the end, design or not, Canadians shouldn't be forced to pay for the kit if one only wants the body?

Last week I went to the Henry's on Steeles W in Toronto last Wednesday. While I was checking out the Fuji X-E1 kit I was chatting with the salesperson and he told me that there aren't many Df preorders @ their location (there was only 7 at the time), unlike during the first 2~3 days of the D800 launch where they got flooded with preorders from both NPS & regular customers. He also said that a lot of customers asked if they can order the body only on the first day and most went away frustrated.

May be it is just this store, who knows?

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 +50 more
harveysteeves Regular Member • Posts: 471
Re: The Camera Store body only offer?

I think a few stores are planning on just splitting up kits if that is all they receive in the beginning. Nikon Canada just doesn't understand these days that they live beside the biggest single market in the world and what happens in the US for product marketing had better be duplicated up here because after all, we have this Internet thing that lets us poor Canadians know about these things as they happen and not in 6 months when the magazines show up.

I think if you want just a body, it would be wise to call up your local store and see what you can get.  Talk to a manager if you are not getting any real answers from sales staff.  Some floor people are on top of products, some are not.

harveysteeves's gear list:harveysteeves's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax 645Z Nikon D810 Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +1 more
Sell or keep the 50mm/1.8G "regular"?

Given Nikon Canada's restrictive policy of bundling the special edition 50mm lens with Df, I may have to get the kit due to limited availability at launc.

Since I already have the "gold" 50/1.8G, do you guys think it's better to sell the Special Edition 50mm lens when I do get the kit or is it better to sell my current lens now while waiting for Df to ship? Which one will fetch a higher price and/or easier to sell?

reps2 Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Re: Nikon Canada forcing Df purchase with kit lens?

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything! As I understand it various different national Nikon companies are making different "offers" to their customer bases.

Dig your contract law text book out, and refresh your memory about "offer" and "acceptance".

-- hide signature --

Richard

reps2's gear list:reps2's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D5300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +1 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,113

lolopasstrail wrote:

CFynn wrote:

On other Nikon DSLRs we are forced to buy video - an extra many of us don't want or need.

With the Nikon Df, we are forced to not buy video - at a price that should include video - an extra many of us don't want but are glad to have if we need it.

Trust me, I will never use video.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Samsung NX1 +24 more
anyone ordered from "Camera Canada" before?

Given Nikon Canada's restrictive policy of bundling the special edition 50mm lens with Df, I may have to get the kit due to limited availability at launc.

Since I already have the "gold" 50/1.8G, do you guys think it's better to sell the Special Edition 50mm lens when I do get the kit or is it better to sell my current lens now while waiting for Df to ship? Which one will fetch a higher price and/or easier to sell?

Yay finally more retailers are rejecting Nikon's forced bundling of Df with the special edition lens and started offering body-only. Does anyone have experiences ordering from these guys?

Quick update on the Nikon Df "kit" in Canada

A quick update and thanks to everyone who gave feedback on the Nikon Df kit. I decided to get the kit at launch because dealers are saying that the availability of body-only option is unknown.

After seeing the 50mm in person, it's not bad at all, but since I already have the 50mm/1.2 AIS, if I had to get another "normal" lens again, it would be the 58mm/1.4G which seems to have that "magical" quality.

In the meantime, I've listed the 50mm "special edition" lens for sale to fund the 58mm/1.4G! Shame on you, Nikon.

Some samples from the Df and 50/1.2AIS are posted here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52620077

Tazz_25 Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Quick update on the Nikon Df "kit" in Canada

Don's Photo in Edmonton is offer body only.

Tazz_25's gear list:Tazz_25's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR
newlens Contributing Member • Posts: 617

Camera Canada in London, ON is also offering the body only.

newlens's gear list:newlens's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D610
Frits Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

Encouraging to see some "body only" appear in Canada.

The compulsory "bundled with lens only" is ridiculous for a DSLR of this quality / price point.

-- hide signature --

Frits

Frits's gear list:Frits's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,576

That lens should be adding only about $25 to the price for the camera so it is not a big deal. It is interesting in that it supports my notion that the Df was developed to get elderly film camera buffs to finally go to digital. Kits with lenses are usually those with cameras in the sub $1000 category that are sold to first time DSLR camera owners.

In the days of film 35mm cameras were usually sold with a 50mm lens and it took extra effort to find a place that would sell only the body.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,053
I'd imagine it's the other way 'round

Purchase of the camera with the lens. Otherwise that's a darned expensive lens!

-- hide signature --

Could you all move half an inch to the left? Okay, pretend you like each other and smile.

bajwas Senior Member • Posts: 1,233

Aden Camera has special in store price for Kit with lens. Can $ 2680 so lens is free. Got Silver Kit with few more bucks off.

Sohail

bajwas's gear list:bajwas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Nikon D850 +175 more
Willy Chan New Member • Posts: 3

bajwas wrote:

Aden Camera has special in store price for Kit with lens. Can $ 2680 so lens is free. Got Silver Kit with few more bucks off.

Sohail

$2680 before tax right? Which location, downtown on Yonge or at Pacific Mall?

Thanks,

bajwas Senior Member • Posts: 1,233

Yes before taxes. Deal was special in store only and I went to Elm/Young location but picked from Pacific Mall on Sunday as I want Silver edition.

Thanks

bajwas's gear list:bajwas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Nikon D850 +175 more
Willy Chan New Member • Posts: 3

bajwas wrote:

Yes before taxes. Deal was special in store only and I went to Elm/Young location but picked from Pacific Mall on Sunday as I want Silver edition.

Thanks

Great, thanks for the info.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441

Does this happen in any other markets other than Canada?

Yes, here in Germany the same, only with the Lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads