Nikon Canada forcing Df purchase with kit lens?

Started Nov 11, 2013 | Discussions
harveysteeves Regular Member • Posts: 492
not where I live ...

I have been told by two camera stores out here that come hell or high water, they will be selling bodies.  Perhaps Nikon Ca. won't show them any love ...

harveysteeves's gear list:harveysteeves's gear list
Pentax 645Z Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +1 more
Saffron_Blaze Contributing Member • Posts: 639
Re: not where I live ...

The sad thing is the retro 1.8 and the current 1.8G are the same lens, yet the retro is $60 more.

Nikon has padded the price of the camera and the lens. You may prefer to think of it as paying for style not substance.

Saffron_Blaze's gear list:Saffron_Blaze's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
lolopasstrail Regular Member • Posts: 283
Re: Nikon Canada forcing Df purchase with kit lens?

CFynn wrote:

On other Nikon DSLRs we are forced to buy video - an extra many of us don't want or need.

With the Nikon Df, we are forced to not buy video - at a price that should include video - an extra many of us don't want but are glad to have if we need it.

sambr Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: I am going to wait...

I like the looks - however not for me.

sambr's gear list:sambr's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
OP digitalphotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Low Light high ISO

how many here like me welcome a D4 sensor camera at half the price that would be fun in these low light winter months?

Unless 610 when downsampled produces just as good high ISO file?  But then 610 file size are much bigger, still not big enough compared to my D800E?

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III
stuntmonkey
stuntmonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,734
Re: In America, we're not forced to purchase the Df at all...

paulski66 wrote:

Ah, the glories of living in a free country!

Yeah, you're free to have a 1 year warranty on bodies. We're forced to have 2.

Hulamike
Hulamike Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
How many of you own a 50mm?

How many of you already have a 50mm f1.8? Great lens on any body. I can understand if you already own one but if not you'll appreciate it. I've owned dozens of Nikkor lenses over time but my 50 1.8 is by far the sharpest lens I own.

I have it

Hulamike wrote:

How many of you already have a 50mm f1.8? Great lens on any body. I can understand if you already own one but if not you'll appreciate it. I've owned dozens of Nikkor lenses over time but my 50 1.8 is by far the sharpest lens I own.

But thinking anout getting the 50 1.2 AI

mgblack74
mgblack74 Senior Member • Posts: 1,678
It is peculiar...

Does anyone know why in Canada one has to buy the 50mm "special edition" lens with the Df? There are no body-only options. Does this happen in any other markets other than Canada?

According to many, the Df is already overpriced as it is, but now Nikon Canada wants to squeeze owners of existing 50mm f/1.8 lens one more time by forcing us to pay more for a lens that we already have? What's going on at Nikon Canada these days?

By the way, I really don't like the silver ring on the new special edition lens, totally destroying the new design, but that's just me. In the end, design or not, Canadians shouldn't be forced to pay for the kit if one only wants the body?

Seeing as they gave away the 24-85 VR last year with the D600. It could be a marketing ploy too... that the Df is seen on the streets with the S.E. 50.

Then again, Nikon charges more for a camera without an AA filter than one with.
--
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +5 more
Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
?

Anderton wrote:

If you cannot afford it don't buy it.

It is not a matter of money: if I already have the AF-S 50 f1.8G why do I have get another copy of basically the same lens? The retro looking SE barrel will not enhance my shooting enjoyment nor will it provide better image quality over the regular non-SE one anyway. If for "retro" sake I have my AiS 50 f1.2 which is the real deal

I still don't understand why Nikon Canada offers the kit only. Oh well...

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D800 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 +50 more
harveysteeves Regular Member • Posts: 492
bodies only

The Camera Store in Calgary is offering bodies only as well as Don's Photo in Saskatoon.

harveysteeves's gear list:harveysteeves's gear list
Pentax 645Z Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +1 more
Re: bodies only

harveysteeves wrote:

The Camera Store in Calgary is offering bodies only as well as Don's Photo in Saskatoon.

awesome, will order from camera store!!

Another vote for 1.2 AI

Joseph wrote:

Anderton wrote:

If you cannot afford it don't buy it.

It is not a matter of money: if I already have the AF-S 50 f1.8G why do I have get another copy of basically the same lens? The retro looking SE barrel will not enhance my shooting enjoyment nor will it provide better image quality over the regular non-SE one anyway. If for "retro" sake I have my AiS 50 f1.2 which is the real deal

I still don't understand why Nikon Canada offers the kit only. Oh well...

Truly retro

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,454
Re: In America, we're not forced to purchase the Df at all...

paulski66 wrote:

Ah, the glories of living in a free country!

Sorry, my state is forcing me to buy one. This decision is at the state level.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
Chris59 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,436

CFynn wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

digitalphotographer wrote:

Does anyone know why in Canada one has to buy the 50mm "special edition" lens with the Df? There are no body-only options. Does this happen in any other markets other than Canada?

According to many, the Df is already overpriced as it is, but now Nikon Canada wants to squeeze owners of existing 50mm f/1.8 lens one more time by forcing us to pay more for a lens that we already have? What's going on at Nikon Canada these days?

By the way, I really don't like the silver ring on the new special edition lens, totally destroying the new design, but that's just me. In the end, design or not, Canadians shouldn't be forced to pay for the kit if one only wants the body?

Can't answer the kit Qs.. but the silver ring is all part of the retro look. I agree though; you shouldn't be forced to buy any extras you don't want/need.

On other Nikon DSLRs we are forced to buy video - an extra many of us don't want or need.

...and on the Df one is forced to have video removed and pay for the privilege.

Chris59's gear list:Chris59's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8
nuke12
nuke12 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419

The Nikon 1 (any version) only sells as a kit in Canada. In the US they have the body only option. It's been this way since Nikon first released the camera.

Then again, we don't have that crazy Nikon USA pricing policy in Canada. Our Nikon dealers can set their own price.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/14/the-new-nikon-us-pricing-policy-explained.aspx/

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +28 more
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,578
Are you actually in Confederation?????????????

Check out simonscameras in Montreal, both the black and silver bodies (only) are available for preorder at 2,799.95 with the kits at 2,999.95. eh?

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Nikon Z6
nuke12
nuke12 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419

Nikon Canada is only selling it as a kit with the 50mm lens.

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/1527/Nikon-Df.html

You can get it without the lens, two ways;

1) It's a gray market product without the normal Nikon Canada warranty.

2) The dealer is willing to break up the normal Nikon Canada kit and sell the lens separately from the camera body.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +28 more
Simonscameras

edispics wrote:

Check out simonscameras in Montreal, both the black and silver bodies (only) are available for preorder at 2,799.95 with the kits at 2,999.95. eh?

Thx! Good to have a dealer in Canada selling non-kit. Unfortunately it's still $50 more than the body-only price in US, oh well, you can't win it all.

edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,578
Re: Simonscameras

Yup, and I checked and Lozeau in Montreal will be carrying body only as well, although they only have an indicative price and not the final purchase price. Henry's in Toronto is so far listing only the kit. But at least we got us some choice! LOL

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Nikon Z6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads