"I am selling my Nikon gear"

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 18,057
Re: With all due respect...

Do you have a site to see your work?

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
The Davinator
Re: Who cares?

1drey wrote:

And why it should be manifested in public?

-- hide signature --

Who cares?  They have an opinion....just like you.  Their's appears less arrogant than yours

Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
baobob
baobob Veteran Member • Posts: 8,386
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses

I have the TS Kipon adapter for Nikon mount

I bought an old 17mm Tokina lens with Nikon mount to go with it

I have mainly for the moment learnt how to play with the plane of focus I posted some sample quite many weeks ago. I have not yet used the shift capacity

bear in mind that the sensor is small so the shift capacity is limited

But the tilt ability can be spectacular I have to parctice really much more and I'll do that by next year when I'll be .... free like the air (65+)

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
bigpigbig OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,721

Dave Luttmann wrote:

I have a fun, personal space at Flickr with some good stuff and some average stuff for sharing with family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photography_by_basil/

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more

baobob wrote:

I have the TS Kipon adapter for Nikon mount

I bought an old 17mm Tokina lens with Nikon mount to go with it

I have mainly for the moment learnt how to play with the plane of focus I posted some sample quite many weeks ago. I have not yet used the shift capacity

bear in mind that the sensor is small so the shift capacity is limited

But the tilt ability can be spectacular I have to parctice really much more and I'll do that by next year when I'll be .... free like the air (65+)

-- hide signature --

I think you have it wrong. 10mm of shift on a smaller sensor is much more significant than 10mm of shift on a FF camera. It is great for keep verticals parallel and shifting the horizon out of the middle of the frame.

I need to try one of those

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
baobob

Exc ellent point betwwen the best compact XE1 and the best DSLR D800, IMHO

You draw with precision the frontier

It's clear that the 5D2 was not good enough given size weight noise cost

The big limitation of APSc sensor is the incapacity to print big For me A3+ or A2 is the max and the xP1 does it (in laser print for A3+ even with crop)) without problem

I would have kept the Canon gear if canon would have launched a similar EOS to D800 It's dramatic to notice that the 5D is around the price of D800

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
The Davinator

bigpigbig wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

I have a fun, personal space at Flickr with some good stuff and some average stuff for sharing with family.

Cool.  love the stuff out of Asia.  Your 8x10 comment caught my eye as I'm a 4x5 shooter as well.

Dave Luttmann wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Cool. love the stuff out of Asia. Your 8x10 comment caught my eye as I'm a 4x5 shooter as well.

There are a few 4x5 and 6x12 scans in there from Angkor Wat and Ayuthaya.. I took a Speed Graphic and put a horseman 6x12 back on it for fun. I also have a 4x5 point and shoot with a 47mm Schneider mounted in a helicoid that is pretty spectacular as well. There are some shots of a jewelry studio in the Flickr galleries that were shot with it. I am fortunate enough to have access to development of B&W film at work.I haven't found a good way to scan my 8x10s yet.

Kevin Patrick Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

I noticed your comment regarding having an infrared converted X-E1. Can you comment on which Fuji lenses you have used on that camera and how they have performed - hotspots in particular. I currently have a converted G5 but am considering purchasing the X-E2 and having my X-E1 converted to full spectrum IR. I would prefer to have a single system and set of lenses. I have only heard positive remarks regarding the X-E1 conversion performance. Hopefully the upcoming 10-24mm will be workable with IR as well. Thanks.

Kevin

baobob

It was not what I meant

It has to do with the circle of the lens and the sensor, despite the adptor (remember that we use FF lens with an adptor)

In terms of % of picture you are right in terms of absolute mm you can shift it's limited to 10mm horizontally and 8mm vertically before vignetting where the adaptor itself can go much further

-- hide signature --

1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

Dave Luttmann wrote:

1drey wrote:

And why it should be manifested in public?

-- hide signature --

Who cares? They have an opinion....just like you. Their's appears less arrogant than yours

My apologies to everyone who accepted my question as an arrogant.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7R +7 more
baobob

I think the initial question and the whole debate are interesting since it shows the diversity of practice and opinions

I have sold my big heavy gear others don't.

That's life. This is a forum which by definition has the role to give a public audience to questions and talks, IMHO

Everybody remaining free to read or not

Cheers

-- hide signature --

baobob wrote:

It was not what I meant

It has to do with the circle of the lens and the sensor, despite the adptor (remember that we use FF lens with an adptor)

In terms of % of picture you are right in terms of absolute mm you can shift it's limited to 10mm horizontally and 8mm vertically before vignetting where the adaptor itself can go much further

-- hide signature --

Oh, I see.

Thank you for your comments and additions to this thread.

I find it interesting as well. There is quite the dichotomy of uses for equipment and opinions on what is necessary or desired.

The Davinator
Same boat

baobob wrote:

-- hide signature --

My Nikon D700 and D800 have been sold along with primes and zooms.  Still have my D2x and a 24 though....Which I may or may not sell.

For work, the Fuji does an incredible job.

jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: Horses for courses ...

bigpigbig wrote:

57even wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

I think you and I have similar thoughts on this. I too hope that one day the Fuji X system can replace my heavy DSLR.

As far as image quality goes, it is there already.

But...

Two things I am not sure CAN / WILL ever happen (I REALLY hope I am wrong)

1) Mirrorless AF can not match the speed a dedicated AF sensor separate from the imaging sensor. Seems like a physical limitation.

Not at all. How its implemented is mainly an issue of lens mechanics and processing speed. With PDAF on the sensor, it's likely to match or exceed SLRs in both accuracy and speed.

I mis-wrote. I meant to say tracking during AF-C shooting will never be as fast.

The way I understand it, the DSLR has two sensors, one for image capture and one for focusing. The mirroless camera can not focus while capturing an image, the DSLR can not focus while the mirror is up. But, the mirror returns faster than the mirrorless camera can switch from capture for focus.

I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I'm not an electronic engineer or an optics guy, but I've done a little Comp Sci. the way I see it you should be able to build a chip that allows different pixels I(e.g. those sued for AF) to b read at different times or even y a different sub system as the rest of the pixels. I.e. one set of lines where you can read af data and another set o image data. Assuming that is possible - and I believe it should be =   then with an electronic shutter the mirrorless should be a to shoot as fast and be more accurate ,no possible collimation  error and more durable no fragile align ment adjustments required in maintenance.

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to transport the photons for focussing to the sensor via fibre optics. That way you could use

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265

bigpigbig wrote:

BUT, "good enough" FOR ME, is not ALWAYS good enough. I want the option of having THE BEST.

bigpignbig this post is not aimed soley or specifically at you and I suspect from the description of your job you know better.

It's interesting that a lot of FF shooters equate FF with the best.

But FF is not the be all and end all MF digital is pretty darn nice. I'd so so far as to say better than most FF sensors.

FF cameras may have better ISO perfornance and some DSLRs will have better AF than MF.

But pure IQ, blow up and print the size of a bill board? Maybe not.

Shallow depth of field definitely not.

When people say FF is the best, they really mean FF is the best camera for shooting FF sized images using FF size lens and emulating 35mm film format/geometry/DOF.

Or perhaps they might in same cases mean shooting fast moving targets. But they are the only things FF excels at in reality.

Because for high IQ there  nearly always have been better choices.

As an M43 user I'm often accused of (in the nicest possible way) sensor envy. M43/s two times crop factor means a ƒ2.8 behaves like a /5,6 or worse DOF wise.

But again the FF shooters all forget that if it is shallow DOF (and it seems many do) then there may be better choices.

Same for serious flash work, where  an MF lens with leaf shutter's can give you crazy sync speeds. I believe up to something  like 1/2000

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 24,570

It would be interesting to put the Fuji 14mm up against the Nikon 14-24 . . . or even the Fuji 10-24 when it gets here. I was never that impressed with my 14-24. At 24 it really wasn't that exceptional, either. What really bugged me was FLARE. If the sun was anywhere within a 180 degree range, flare was there! Then finding a fixed focal lens to replace it became a real search!!! Then there was the filter thing! And the size! And how clumsy it was to use - and how vulnerable the front element was. Great for interior shots - sometimes.

We shall see. Maybe I will grow to hate the Fuji X-Pro but I doubt it.

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Pretty simple: different photographers, different approaches. I have a full Nikon system. I've never sold a single lens, speed light or body. I hand my older bodies down to friends and family. I keep my glass. I'd never abandon a built up system unless I was literally starving to death.

But that's me. I'm not everyone.

I don't miss my D700 or D800 that much, nor the 50 or 85.....but the 14-24 was sad to part with. Who knows....may buy it back if a D4x comes out!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +29 more

Steve Bingham wrote:

It would be interesting to put the Fuji 14mm up against the Nikon 14-24 . . . or even the Fuji 10-24 when it gets here. I was never that impressed with my 14-24. At 24 it really wasn't that exceptional, either. What really bugged me was FLARE. If the sun was anywhere within a 180 degree range, flare was there! Then finding a fixed focal lens to replace it became a real search!!! Then there was the filter thing! And the size! And how clumsy it was to use - and how vulnerable the front element was. Great for interior shots - sometimes.

We shall see. Maybe I will grow to hate the Fuji X-Pro but I doubt it.

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Pretty simple: different photographers, different approaches. I have a full Nikon system. I've never sold a single lens, speed light or body. I hand my older bodies down to friends and family. I keep my glass. I'd never abandon a built up system unless I was literally starving to death.

But that's me. I'm not everyone.

I don't miss my D700 or D800 that much, nor the 50 or 85.....but the 14-24 was sad to part with. Who knows....may buy it back if a D4x comes out!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Hi Steve,

I have done it. The 14mm Fuji is amazing! (the 23 and 35 are even better, IMO)

I put both cameras on sturdy tripods, mirror lockup on the Nikon, set the 14-24 at 21mm. Shot a cityscape with trees, grass and buildings.

I printed both images at A3 and A2.

Color was different (both set to daylight WB) but that was expected.

The A3 prints were indistinguishable for detail. Even with a loupe.

At A2 from a viewing distance of 6 feet (I got people to come and look at them) they looked identical (for detail)

From 3 feet, a couple of people picked the Nikon for better detail.

With a loupe, it was pretty obvious.

But I don't think the 36mp resolution is a major advantage of the D800e (though it is nice to have much more flexibility in cropping).

For a shot like this, the Fuji 14mm excels.

All the negatives you mentioned about the 14-24 are absolutely true. But it is an amazing lens. It is a 2.8 zoom that matches or betters most primes in that range.

I too am quite excited about the 10-24. If it can come close to matching the image quality of the 14-24, that lens will be sold.

jtan163 wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

BUT, "good enough" FOR ME, is not ALWAYS good enough. I want the option of having THE BEST.

bigpignbig this post is not aimed soley or specifically at you and I suspect from the description of your job you know better.

It's interesting that a lot of FF shooters equate FF with the best.

But FF is not the be all and end all MF digital is pretty darn nice. I'd so so far as to say better than most FF sensors.

FF cameras may have better ISO perfornance and some DSLRs will have better AF than MF.

You are right. And if I could afford a Phase One IQ180 back on an Arca Swiss Rm3d with a Schneider 35mm APO-Digitar XL, I'd have one for those times when it would be appropriate. I'd love an 8x10 scanning back as well for my Norma Sinar.

But pure IQ, blow up and print the size of a bill board? Maybe not.

Chack this out: http://www.circleofconfusion.ie/d800e-vs-phase-one-iq180/

He concludes that the D800e actually has some image quality ADVANTAGES over the IQ180.

The D800e is not just a FF, 36mp camera. It is a phenomenal 36mp FF camera!

The fact that it can even be compared to a $50,000 system is testament to that. It is a $3000 body vs $45,000 back (no body).

Shallow depth of field definitely not.

True. But with the 200 f2 or 85 1.4 I am not sure a shallower DOF would be desirable. I am already trying to get the iris and not the eye lashes.

When people say FF is the best, they really mean FF is the best camera for shooting FF sized images using FF size lens and emulating 35mm film format/geometry/DOF.

Or perhaps they might in same cases mean shooting fast moving targets. But they are the only things FF excels at in reality.

But don't forget, there has been so much effort (market driven) put into developing these systems for the past 50 years, that they have grown into very mature products. They are standing on the shoulders of giants. Lens line up alone should be convincing.

Because for high IQ there nearly always have been better choices.

True. And always will be. No matter how good small sensors get, bigger sensors will ALWAYS be more capable (either with larger photosensitive sites or with higher resolution)

As an M43 user I'm often accused of (in the nicest possible way) sensor envy. M43/s two times crop factor means a ƒ2.8 behaves like a /5,6 or worse DOF wise.

Ignore them. Your photos are amazing! and your pack is 1/3rd the weight.

But again the FF shooters all forget that if it is shallow DOF (and it seems many do) then there may be better choices.

Not really affordable (for me) choices. Please let me know if I am wrong, I'll go buy one tomorrow.

Same for serious flash work, where an MF lens with leaf shutter's can give you crazy sync speeds. I believe up to something like 1/2000

I almost pulled the trigger on a x100s for this reason. Though with HSS and a few SB900s on the Nikon, it gets halfway there. The x100s is still looking like a great option though.

As far as m4/3 goes, as long as shallow DOF and bigger than 8x10 prints are not important, there are some great systems. I loved my Oly. I had it converted to IR and then sold it when I got an XE-1 converted. Built in IS was awesome! I had a MF 400mm f2.8 which became a stabilized 800mm f5.6! Oh, yes.

Kevin Patrick wrote:

I noticed your comment regarding having an infrared converted X-E1. Can you comment on which Fuji lenses you have used on that camera and how they have performed - hotspots in particular. I currently have a converted G5 but am considering purchasing the X-E2 and having my X-E1 converted to full spectrum IR. I would prefer to have a single system and set of lenses. I have only heard positive remarks regarding the X-E1 conversion performance. Hopefully the upcoming 10-24mm will be workable with IR as well. Thanks.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I'll start a new thread soon with samples.

A quick preview, the XE-1 and X lenses are great for IR. Besides the 18-55, they are all usable and some of them (35mm) are perfect at all apertures!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads