"I am selling my Nikon gear"

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
davids8560 Contributing Member • Posts: 696
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"
1

I have two DSLRs, one MILC, and about 55 other various cameras. Frankly I just got 'em because dpreview said they were good cameras, and because I found most of them used at a great discount on eBay.

Mostly my cameras all just sit around. Five of them, my "primary" cameras, are on the shelf near my desk. The rest are stored away in a closet. I don't know all that much about photography. I just like cameras. I suppose I'm sort of an accidental camera museum curator.

I've managed to round up a few really great cameras. The latest is a Pentax K-5. I also have a T3i, a NEX-7, a RX100, a XZ-1, and the tiny TL350. I also happen to think highly of my F770EXR, for its size, capability, and unwashed-out skies.

Some of the better older cameras I've used are the D70, the XTi, the Pro1, the C8080, and the V3. Sometimes. while scrolling through my pics in Lightroom, it often seems the D70 shots look the best. I used the D70 with a Nikkor F4 70-210, and the pictures that combo produced really stand out to me. I also think Nikon's color rendition is truer than any of the other cameras I've used. But at the time, I found the D70 with a big lens a rather cumbersome proposition, and it was not a camera I picked up freely very often. I think at the time I used my Canon S3 IS most of the time! And one day I let the D70 go...

So, at least until only very recently, the things that have drawn me to actually pick up and use any camera in particular have been zoom reach, convenient size, and the availability of PASM modes. So over the years I've used a lot of bridge cameras, mostly Canon and Panasonic superzooms exclusively. And, as you might expect, I am by nature very attracted to the new Stylus 1 and RX10.

But when I go to the galleries and see what you guys are producing with your big, heavy, advanced gear, almost everybody's pictures are quite frankly glaringly and stupendously superior to mine. I dunno. Maybe dpreview will open up a Lousy Uploads Gallery. That would be something. Then I might get some compliments. But what I have discovered, the thing that appears to be for sure, is that one stunning photo from a great camera like a high-end Nikon DSLR tops a bevy of small-sensor enthusiast compact and superzoom shots any old day. And I guess my stupidity is revealed in making this statement. But there you have it.

Lately I've been thinking about selling off most of my cameras, buying some better-quality lenses, and begin actually learning about photography with the cameras I decide to keep. I guess I'll just have to get used to carrying a selection of lenses and a really capable body if I want great images.

I think I'm going to dump the T3i kit, for starters, now that I have the K-5 on the shelf. I really like the K-5, even though it's a three-year-old model. And I want to get some better lenses for the NEX-7, even though it's about to be kicked off its golden pedestal by the new A7's.

So I guess I am saying to the OP, hold off on selling your Nikon kit. It may very well be that its output is about as good as it gets, despite the cumbersome size and weight.

But what do I know.

 davids8560's gear list:davids8560's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Leica C Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) +4 more
Stujomo
Stujomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

Well I sold my X-E1 to get a D800. I just did get on with the X-E1 and the viewfinder. Still got my X100 though and thats not going anywhere.

jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

With apologies to all you Fuji folk for pushing my Oly falvoured brand of mirrorless fanboi-ism.
I though this post came out of the Nikon FX forum.

bigpigbig wrote:

I have read this on many occasions. Most recently on FR main page.

I don't get it.

Do you need to get it?
Someone else has decided that something else will work for them.
It's not your decision - the consequences in no way affect you*.

You're still allowed to keep your Nikon FX gear with inbuilt dust stirrer - uhm - mirror.

Or are you worried that the grass really IS greener over there?

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system,

why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

A lot of people may not lose any opportunities with a mirrorless system, if indeed that is what they are switching too.

What can a D800 do that a capable mirrorless system can't?
Tracking AF - and 38MP.

If you don't need 38MP - and really most people don't - and you don't need tracking AF, what opportunity do you lose?

OK a little DR.
Of course if DR and IQ generally are an issue why give up the opportunities lost by shooting MF?

Unless you are really strapped for cash. Most normal folk can afford an MF, full range of accessorise and a D800 for kiddy snapshots and a pair of EX-1s to use as ballast for the tripod - can't they?

Which many people who view photographs - a lot of people that take photos too - won't miss.

in your list there are very few things that a capable mirrorless camera system can't do pretty much as well.

I note also that you have created a list that does have a certain huge DSLR bias.

By which I mean you don't have any "took a photo of a white board because I am too lazy to take notes" or "gosh my cat is cute" "gosh my puppy is cute" "gosh my child/grandchild/nephew/niece/etc is cute" or "this is what I had for lunch" type photos.

While I find myself more and more grabbing the Fuji, there are still situations that it comes no where near my D800e.

For examples:

1) I just shot a dance performance in a theater. I shot a 70-200 f2.8 with VR at 1/400, f2.8, ISO1600 in AF-C 3D tracking for focus. It was dark and the AF system was near instantaneous and capable of tracking for continuous shots. The Fuji system has no lens or camera even close to being capable of this.

No - a mirrorless probably won't do that well.
Though the jury is still out on the EM1 with 43 lenses.
By the next iteration of Oly M43 or the release of the full range of Oly Pro lenses I suspect that will be very little in the realm of AF tracking that mirrorless won't be able to do fairly well either. But right now yeah mirrorless is prolly licked.

2) I shot a focus bracketed macro set of some watches tethered to a computer with live view and remote control.

EM1 and iPad for control.

3) I used the SB900 flashes set up in two groups and controlled them (power and ratio) all from the camera as well as getting excellent results from them in TTL auto mode.

If you mean flash control by CLS the yeah any recent high-ish end M43 can do that.
The Oly flashes admitedly have lower GNs though.

However this is a matter of degrees - even with higher GNs of say SB910s, there's only so far you can go with CLS.

4) I had my Fuji at a waterfall and couldn't get the shot my friend who had a weatherproofed 5D MKII got.

Try and EM5 or EM1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Omqui0SoI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHb2yo0PZsA

I've looked but I have not seen an equivalent D800 video.
I have seen somewhat more "timid" D600 videos though, so the D800, can maybe match the Olys for weatherproofing, but I suspect you'd need to go to D3/D4 to get similar to the EM1 standard.

I probably wouldn't go there with an XPro1 or X100 either.

5) I often find myself cropping a 6mp image and printing an 8x10 from very small details in the original shot.

Just carry a lens that has the reach you need and compose your shot.
Oh yeah - you'd need a porter to do that with an FF camera.

Just by the way - Oly has an SHG 300mm constant ƒ/2.8 about the same size as the Nikon, but with equivalent 600mm reach.
How big is Nikon's 600mm ƒ/2.8?
Dang - there isn't one, is there?

Oh yeah I'm not 100% sure but I think the 1.4x tele fits it too.

6) A bear was chasing me and I threw the D800e and 200 f2 at it to scare it off. The camera was better off than the bear.

As is often the case with "...I don't understand why people don't shoot the same gear as me..." folks, sounds like you have more money than sense.
That's both a good thing and a compliment.
But I'm not sure I'd bet on you for a longevity competition.

In any case, as much as I love the Fuji XE-1 (and will love the XE-2 even more) it is NOT a replacement for a DSLR in every case.

Though, I do smile every time when I pick up my backpack with two XE-1's (one infrared) and 5 lenses, filters, cleaning tools, small tripod, etc and it weighs less than the D800e with grip and 200 f2.

Yeah I smile when I go out with my EM5 round my neck, 2 spare lenses in pockets and a pocket tripod.
I don't have an FX camera but going out with the DX equivalent -well that's why my D7000 only comes out for certain events.

And last time I was at the cricket I shot about 15 raws in under a second and got a great series of some batsmen going down on one knee for a sweep shot.

Look I'd like an FX camera and lens set - and yeah DSLRs do have some advantages, but in reality for most folks you lose nothing by not having one.

Hey - horses for courses - your system works for you - but for a lot of people who don't need AF tracking and aren't shooting for billboards a mirrorless system is just fine - and maybe can do some things a high end FX can't.

PS
You left out shallow DOF shots - every one who knocks mirrorless brings up that ol' chestnut - though I guess the new Sonys kinda shoot that down too - or would if there were a few more lenses for them.

* Goverment Warning
Consequences of large numbers of camera users abandoning high end FF flapping mirrors may effect you.

In the long term a move to mirrorless - even in pro level FF cameras seems inevitable and we probably need to deal with that emotionally - the sooner we start doing so, the less the hurt will be.

All those turncoats cowards who are abandoning the faith may encourage camera makers to accelerate the move toward mirrorless systems. On the upside you'll either be able to buy all the D800s you want for $50 at the local pawn shop like you can with film cameras - or the price will go through the roof and yours will be that much more valuable.

 jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: Wasteful?
1

Klaus dk wrote:

Gooutside wrote:

I think a lot of amateur photographers, myself included only want to have one system. It simply feels wasteful to have two.

Most people have more than one pair of shoes, most people have both cups-and-saucers and mugs for their coffee or tea, most DYI people have both PZ and flat screwdrivers - and torx, philips and unbraco. Why would having more than one system for photography be wasteful?

Because camera systems are priced closer to cars than shoes, and most people only have one car.  If I could buy complete camera systems for $150, I would own five or six.  For $3,000, the math leads me to a different conclusion.

bigpigbig OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

jtan163 wrote:

With apologies to all you Fuji folk for pushing my Oly falvoured brand of mirrorless fanboi-ism.
I though this post came out of the Nikon FX forum.

bigpigbig wrote:

I have read this on many occasions. Most recently on FR main page.

I don't get it.

Do you need to get it?
Someone else has decided that something else will work for them.
It's not your decision - the consequences in no way affect you*.

You're still allowed to keep your Nikon FX gear with inbuilt dust stirrer - uhm - mirror.

Or are you worried that the grass really IS greener over there?

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system,

why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

A lot of people may not lose any opportunities with a mirrorless system, if indeed that is what they are switching too.

What can a D800 do that a capable mirrorless system can't?
Tracking AF - and 38MP.

If you don't need 38MP - and really most people don't - and you don't need tracking AF, what opportunity do you lose?

OK a little DR.
Of course if DR and IQ generally are an issue why give up the opportunities lost by shooting MF?

Unless you are really strapped for cash. Most normal folk can afford an MF, full range of accessorise and a D800 for kiddy snapshots and a pair of EX-1s to use as ballast for the tripod - can't they?

Which many people who view photographs - a lot of people that take photos too - won't miss.

in your list there are very few things that a capable mirrorless camera system can't do pretty much as well.

I note also that you have created a list that does have a certain huge DSLR bias.

By which I mean you don't have any "took a photo of a white board because I am too lazy to take notes" or "gosh my cat is cute" "gosh my puppy is cute" "gosh my child/grandchild/nephew/niece/etc is cute" or "this is what I had for lunch" type photos.

While I find myself more and more grabbing the Fuji, there are still situations that it comes no where near my D800e.

For examples:

1) I just shot a dance performance in a theater. I shot a 70-200 f2.8 with VR at 1/400, f2.8, ISO1600 in AF-C 3D tracking for focus. It was dark and the AF system was near instantaneous and capable of tracking for continuous shots. The Fuji system has no lens or camera even close to being capable of this.

No - a mirrorless probably won't do that well.
Though the jury is still out on the EM1 with 43 lenses.
By the next iteration of Oly M43 or the release of the full range of Oly Pro lenses I suspect that will be very little in the realm of AF tracking that mirrorless won't be able to do fairly well either. But right now yeah mirrorless is prolly licked.

2) I shot a focus bracketed macro set of some watches tethered to a computer with live view and remote control.

EM1 and iPad for control.

3) I used the SB900 flashes set up in two groups and controlled them (power and ratio) all from the camera as well as getting excellent results from them in TTL auto mode.

If you mean flash control by CLS the yeah any recent high-ish end M43 can do that.
The Oly flashes admitedly have lower GNs though.

However this is a matter of degrees - even with higher GNs of say SB910s, there's only so far you can go with CLS.

4) I had my Fuji at a waterfall and couldn't get the shot my friend who had a weatherproofed 5D MKII got.

Try and EM5 or EM1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Omqui0SoI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHb2yo0PZsA

I've looked but I have not seen an equivalent D800 video.
I have seen somewhat more "timid" D600 videos though, so the D800, can maybe match the Olys for weatherproofing, but I suspect you'd need to go to D3/D4 to get similar to the EM1 standard.

I probably wouldn't go there with an XPro1 or X100 either.

5) I often find myself cropping a 6mp image and printing an 8x10 from very small details in the original shot.

Just carry a lens that has the reach you need and compose your shot.
Oh yeah - you'd need a porter to do that with an FF camera.

Just by the way - Oly has an SHG 300mm constant ƒ/2.8 about the same size as the Nikon, but with equivalent 600mm reach.
How big is Nikon's 600mm ƒ/2.8?
Dang - there isn't one, is there?

Oh yeah I'm not 100% sure but I think the 1.4x tele fits it too.

6) A bear was chasing me and I threw the D800e and 200 f2 at it to scare it off. The camera was better off than the bear.

As is often the case with "...I don't understand why people don't shoot the same gear as me..." folks, sounds like you have more money than sense.
That's both a good thing and a compliment.
But I'm not sure I'd bet on you for a longevity competition.

In any case, as much as I love the Fuji XE-1 (and will love the XE-2 even more) it is NOT a replacement for a DSLR in every case.

Though, I do smile every time when I pick up my backpack with two XE-1's (one infrared) and 5 lenses, filters, cleaning tools, small tripod, etc and it weighs less than the D800e with grip and 200 f2.

Yeah I smile when I go out with my EM5 round my neck, 2 spare lenses in pockets and a pocket tripod.
I don't have an FX camera but going out with the DX equivalent -well that's why my D7000 only comes out for certain events.

And last time I was at the cricket I shot about 15 raws in under a second and got a great series of some batsmen going down on one knee for a sweep shot.

Look I'd like an FX camera and lens set - and yeah DSLRs do have some advantages, but in reality for most folks you lose nothing by not having one.

Hey - horses for courses - your system works for you - but for a lot of people who don't need AF tracking and aren't shooting for billboards a mirrorless system is just fine - and maybe can do some things a high end FX can't.

PS
You left out shallow DOF shots - every one who knocks mirrorless brings up that ol' chestnut - though I guess the new Sonys kinda shoot that down too - or would if there were a few more lenses for them.

* Goverment Warning
Consequences of large numbers of camera users abandoning high end FF flapping mirrors may effect you.

In the long term a move to mirrorless - even in pro level FF cameras seems inevitable and we probably need to deal with that emotionally - the sooner we start doing so, the less the hurt will be.

All those turncoats cowards who are abandoning the faith may encourage camera makers to accelerate the move toward mirrorless systems. On the upside you'll either be able to buy all the D800s you want for $50 at the local pawn shop like you can with film cameras - or the price will go through the roof and yours will be that much more valuable.

Humor, back handed compliments and concurrence.

Hmmm. Not sure where you are coming from.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything.

I love having the option of multiple systems (as many others in this thread do) and I was simply stating my reasons for liking to have one foot in each set.

BTW, it sounds and looks like the Olys have a huge jump on Fuji. I had an EPL-1 and loved it.

Also, I teach photography for a living (and sell some images for extra cash as well) so your "more money than sense" comment is just wrong and offensive.

You should try to be a bit more personable in your writing. If you talked like that to people face to face,  I doubt you'd have many friends.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Re: Wasteful?

Klaus dk wrote:

Gooutside wrote:

I think a lot of amateur photographers, myself included only want to have one system. It simply feels wasteful to have two.

Most people have more than one pair of shoes, most people have both cups-and-saucers and mugs for their coffee or tea, most DYI people have both PZ and flat screwdrivers - and torx, philips and unbraco. Why would having more than one system for photography be wasteful?

I have three different shooting focus areas: portraits, events and holidays. My DSLR works for the first and second type, for holidays I carry a compact.

Because shoes, tools and dinnerware are closer to "needs" than camera systems are, at least for amateurs. Not to mention, significantly cheaper.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 10,235
Re: Horses for courses ...

bigpigbig wrote:

57even wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

I think you and I have similar thoughts on this. I too hope that one day the Fuji X system can replace my heavy DSLR.

As far as image quality goes, it is there already.

But...

Two things I am not sure CAN / WILL ever happen (I REALLY hope I am wrong)

1) Mirrorless AF can not match the speed a dedicated AF sensor separate from the imaging sensor. Seems like a physical limitation.

Not at all. How its implemented is mainly an issue of lens mechanics and processing speed. With PDAF on the sensor, it's likely to match or exceed SLRs in both accuracy and speed.

I mis-wrote. I meant to say tracking during AF-C shooting will never be as fast.

Sure it will, in time. Not a theoretical problem, in fact when they manage to implement a global shutter (all electronic, no curtain) you should be able to get a continuous live feed as well (like a video camera).

The way I understand it, the DSLR has two sensors, one for image capture and one for focusing. The mirroless camera can not focus while capturing an image, the DSLR can not focus while the mirror is up. But, the mirror returns faster than the mirrorless camera can switch from capture for focus.

The switch is instant - the issue is readout speed. Thats a design and performance issue, but being entirely electronic, the sky is the limit. Its already possible to get MUCH faster burst rates on CSC cameras at low res, and even quite high ones on higher res sensors. Check out the Nikon V2.

I could be wrong. I hope I am.

The SLR will look like a steam engine within 3-4 years. Panasonic, Samsung and Fuji are not part of the cartel that share the licensing rights to SLRs, so they have a vested interest it outmoding it as soon as they can.

Sony have thrown their hat in the ring too, leaving only Canon, Nikon and Pentax wedded to the flappy mirror thing. When you have two electronics giants up against an office machine company and an optical company, I would bet on the electronics giants to prevail.

 57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
John Motts Veteran Member • Posts: 5,123
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

bigpigbig wrote:

I don't get it.

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

You've just answered your own question.

Some people have children and mortgages.

Lightpath48 Senior Member • Posts: 4,279
Hrumph! - N/T

No text.

 Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix A
carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

John Motts wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

I don't get it.

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

You've just answered your own question.

Some people have children and mortgages.

Exactly.  Bill Gates would never need to come to this board to check for cameras and lenses.  He just buy everything that interests him.

 carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

bigpigbig wrote:

Humor, back handed compliments and concurrence.

Partial concurrence, but yes some of that too.

I try to be objective - even when I don't like the implications.

Hmmm. Not sure where you are coming from.

You're saying you can't see why someone would lose opportunities by selling a DSLR and then list a number of shoots you've undertaken which seem to be selected with an eye to scenarios DSLRs have typically done well and mirrorless less well.

Where I am coming from is that for a lot of people they lose nothing going mirror less.

I attempt to demonstrate this by addressing your recent shoots and acknowledge honestly where the mirror less might not perform as well.

But that is not the majority of cases.

That's where I'm coming from.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything

I love having the option of multiple systems (as many others in this thread do) and I was simply stating my reasons for liking to have one foot in each set.

So do I. I wish my foot was more in the D800 camp than the D7000 camp, but I don;t shoot for a crust, so it is hard to justify.

BTW, it sounds and looks like the Olys have a huge jump on Fuji. I had an EPL-1 and loved it.

I think they are different cameras, with different design compromises. I wouldn't say the Oly has the jump, but I'd say if you're wanting to shoot some of the areas a DSLR does well in then the  Oly might be worth considering.

Also, I teach photography for a living (and sell some images for extra cash as well) so your "more money than sense" comment is just wrong and offensive.

I assume your throw the D800 at the bear comment was intended to be humourous.

My more money than sense was a response to that comment.
Also intended to be humorous.

If you really did get close enough to a a bear where you had to throw your camera as a s distraction, then I think my more money than sense is valid.

Though I'm very happy you survived the encounter.

You should try to be a bit more personable in your writing. If you talked like that to people face to face, I doubt you'd have many friends.

That's why I try to interject a bit of humour - that's part of being personable.

But FYI I do have few friends IRL, and I'm not particularly out to make more.

Introverted.

 jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
bigpigbig OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"

jtan163 wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Humor, back handed compliments and concurrence.

Partial concurrence, but yes some of that too.

I try to be objective - even when I don't like the implications.

Hmmm. Not sure where you are coming from.

You're saying you can't see why someone would lose opportunities by selling a DSLR and then list a number of shoots you've undertaken which seem to be selected with an eye to scenarios DSLRs have typically done well and mirrorless less well.

Where I am coming from is that for a lot of people they lose nothing going mirror less.

I attempt to demonstrate this by addressing your recent shoots and acknowledge honestly where the mirror less might not perform as well.

But that is not the majority of cases.

That's where I'm coming from.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything

I love having the option of multiple systems (as many others in this thread do) and I was simply stating my reasons for liking to have one foot in each set.

So do I. I wish my foot was more in the D800 camp than the D7000 camp, but I don;t shoot for a crust, so it is hard to justify.

BTW, it sounds and looks like the Olys have a huge jump on Fuji. I had an EPL-1 and loved it.

I think they are different cameras, with different design compromises. I wouldn't say the Oly has the jump, but I'd say if you're wanting to shoot some of the areas a DSLR does well in then the Oly might be worth considering.

Also, I teach photography for a living (and sell some images for extra cash as well) so your "more money than sense" comment is just wrong and offensive.

I assume your throw the D800 at the bear comment was intended to be humourous.

My more money than sense was a response to that comment.
Also intended to be humorous.

If you really did get close enough to a a bear where you had to throw your camera as a s distraction, then I think my more money than sense is valid.

Though I'm very happy you survived the encounter.

You should try to be a bit more personable in your writing. If you talked like that to people face to face, I doubt you'd have many friends.

That's why I try to interject a bit of humour - that's part of being personable.

But FYI I do have few friends IRL, and I'm not particularly out to make more.

Introverted.

I think we'd get along really well.

Thanks for clarification.

And, yes, the throwing it at a bear was a reference to "Snatch" where Boris the Butcher says, "weight (of a gun) is a sign of reliability and if it doesn't work, you can just hit him with it"

I don't think I could throw that combo anyway. It is too damn heavy. But, the images it makes are heavenly. I laugh at those enamored with the bokeh of new 58mm 1.4. The 200 has that in spades.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,411
Who cares?

And why it should be manifested in public?

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7R +7 more
Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 7,145
With all due respect...
2

bigpigbig wrote:

...Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

I am not sure about you but I can not think of any opportunity lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only. I am a professional stage and musical events photographers and have switched to mirrorless system from pro FF, about 9 month ago (OMD) and believe me, there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear, except for some extreme low light situations for which I would prefer to use a Fuji XE-2 to close the gap.

I looked at your list and as I said, there is nothing there that I can't accomplish with my mirrorless gear. Of course YMMV, but I have a slight suspicion, that like in many similar cases I encounter in these forums, some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Re: With all due respect...
1

Moti wrote:

I am not sure about you but I can not think of any opportunity lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only. I am a professional stage and musical events photographers and have switched to mirrorless system from pro FF, about 9 month ago (OMD) and believe me, there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear, except for some extreme low light situations for which I would prefer to use a Fuji XE-2 to close the gap.

I looked at your list and as I said, there is nothing there that I can't accomplish with my mirrorless gear. Of course YMMV, but I have a slight suspicion, that like in many similar cases I encounter in these forums, some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --

When people give advice such as yours they really need to be able to back it up, having looked over your website I would say that your photographs would be much improved by a camera with better high ISO performance and faster focusing.

bigpigbig OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Re: With all due respect...
2

Moti wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

...Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

I am not sure about you but I can not think of any opportunity lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only. I am a professional stage and musical events photographers and have switched to mirrorless system from pro FF, about 9 month ago (OMD) and believe me, there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear, except for some extreme low light situations for which I would prefer to use a Fuji XE-2 to close the gap.

I looked at your list and as I said, there is nothing there that I can't accomplish with my mirrorless gear. Of course YMMV, but I have a slight suspicion, that like in many similar cases I encounter in these forums, some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --

"some more knowledge, training, skills and experience would help much more than the investment in an expensive system."

I am a photography teacher by profession. I shoot every day all day with everything from an iPhone to an 8x10 view camera. I work in the darkroom, Lightroom and feel like I know what I am doing when I print. I have a large format printer and I print often and BIG. I know well, and teach the history of photography, art and composition, visual literacy and a plethora of photographic techniques for pinhole photography to large format camera movements.

I also learn something new every day. That is what I like most about photography. It is beautifully complex and creative possibilities are endless. While I agree that knowledge and experience is MORE important than expensive equipment, better equipment CAN create better images. I can captue great images with my iPhone, but I would probably wish I would have shot them with better equipment.

"there is nothing that I can do better with my FF gear"

I think it might be you who needs "some more knowledge, training, skills and experience". (Remember, these were your words to me, you shouldn't be offended to hear them directed back at you)

I can make images with my D800e that can not be made (consistently, as easily, or at all) with my Fuji.

For stage and musical events, I would agree, a mirrorless camera would be fine for you.

But, what is a fact, that people find hard to admit, is that mirrorless cameras have advantages AND disadvantages. Just as DSLRs have advantages AND disadvantages.

Can I shoot with my D800e and get better results? Yes, MOST of the time. I can't think of a single situation where a Fuji would be more capable of capturing BETTER images than the D800e. People will say, correctly, that the best camera is the one you have with you and therefore a small mirrorless is better. Well...OK. But this is a choice.

The advantages of the Fuji XE-1 (that is what I own along with 3 primes 14,23,35 and 2 zooms) are its light weight, EVF for focus check (peek or zoom) and great OOC jpgs.

The image quality is NOT as good. Is it good enough? Most of the time, absolutely! But it is not as good. If someone wants the absolute best image quality in a 35mm sensor on the market, it is the D800e. (or D4 for high ISO) Is this extra quality meaningful? To me it is. I print big. I shoot in low light. I like to make different compositions by cropping when I can't zoom (shooting with primes) or move closer.

The AF system is NOT as good. Tracking is basically non-existent (birds in flight, sports, theater dance performances)

The dynamic range is NOT as good. It is very good, but not as good.

The Fuji is NOT weatherproof. No problem as long as it is not raining or you don't get caught out in the rain.

The strobe capabilities are not even in the same galaxy as Nikon flash systems.

The resolution of the D800 is more than double which makes for much more flexibility in cropping for prints.

I hope you have gotten this far in reading, because now I will explain why I even have an XE-1.

The XE-1 is the best compact camera in terms of image quality I have ever used. I shot a 5D MKII with L lenses for years and the XE-1 is just as good or better in terms of image quality. I finally found a compact camera, that could produce gallery quality large prints.

I finally feel liberated when I go out shooting with the XE-1. My shoulders don't ache at the end of the day. I don't have to set a big heavy bag down, unzip it and get a camera out. I am happy holding it in my hand for long periods of time.

It has very very accurate auto focus. AF-S.

It has amazing lenses both primes and zooms.

When used with good technique, it produces prints as big as A3 that can match even the mighty D800e.

I can work around most of its limitations. It means working slower, and most of the time, I am not in a hurry.

For 90% of what I shoot, it is good enough.

BUT, "good enough" FOR ME, is not ALWAYS good enough. I want the option of having THE BEST.

I already own the Nikon lenses (which I can use on the XE-1 as well). I bought the D800e more than a year ago. It costs me nothing extra to keep it for those times when I really need (or want) it.

I have nothing against those for whom "good enough" is good enough. Good for you. But to think that those who keep their DSLR are somehow mislead is just being misinformed.

If your tack hammer is doing fine building your bird houses, good for you. But sometimes, I like to build tree houses and need a bigger hammer.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
baobob
baobob Veteran Member • Posts: 7,268
I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses - N/T
-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T10 +12 more
bigpigbig OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses

You might miss that 100mm 2.8 IS macro.

At present, Fuji has nothing that can match it for handheld close ups / macro.

Though, the Fuji IQ is quite a bit better across the board from the 5D MKII.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
baobob
baobob Veteran Member • Posts: 7,268
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses

There is the theory then the field experience

I spent 1100€  to buy at its launch the 100mm 2.8 L IS macro yes superb lens

But at the end of the day I get much beter and easier results woth the XP1 fitted with my old tamron 90mm 2.5 macro (with /without its ext tube) handheld for a lot of reasons

Macro is better done in MF and the EVF + magnifier + FP makes it easier

The global combo is smaller and lighter does not vibrate

In terms of IQ the res is about on par and colors contrast DR are much better with the XP1

And the AF of the 5D2 is rather poor with long tele at f 5.6 except with brilliant sun

I can also carry all the gear more easily (thus more often)

All in all, no regrets, the 5D had been my best camera during 3 years. Things have changed for me and for my photography I find the Fuji gear much more adapted thus better

"De gustibus non est disputendum" 

Cheers

Bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T10 +12 more
bigpigbig OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Re: I have sold my 5D2 plus 5 lenses

baobob wrote:

There is the theory then the field experience

I spent 1100€ to buy at its launch the 100mm 2.8 L IS macro yes superb lens

But at the end of the day I get much beter and easier results woth the XP1 fitted with my old tamron 90mm 2.5 macro (with /without its ext tube) handheld for a lot of reasons

Macro is better done in MF and the EVF + magnifier + FP makes it easier

The global combo is smaller and lighter does not vibrate

In terms of IQ the res is about on par and colors contrast DR are much better with the XP1

And the AF of the 5D2 is rather poor with long tele at f 5.6 except with brilliant sun

I can also carry all the gear more easily (thus more often)

All in all, no regrets, the 5D had been my best camera during 3 years. Things have changed for me and for my photography I find the Fuji gear much more adapted thus better

"De gustibus non est disputendum"

Cheers

Bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

For me, under controlled situations with a tripod, the Fuji for macro has been great with an adapter and Nikon 180mm macro.

But moving around with less than ideal light, I really like the IS (VR) to calm my hands.

The possibility of using adapters with the Fuji makes the lens choices almost endless!

I would really like to try a shift adapter. I wish they made on for G lenses (with aperture control). I dream of sticking the 14-24 on a shift adapter on the fuji and having a 14mm shift lens.

 bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads