Just placed an order for an Eizo CX270

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions
Earthlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208
Just placed an order for an Eizo CX270

Well, I got sick of trying to find out what revision of the latest Dells are shipping now and whether I could live with the latest HP Z series so I placed an order for an Eizo that has a 16 bit internal LUT that can be hardware calibrated with my current Spyder 4 Elite colorimeter.

I hope it is a good monitor and will serve me for good many years. It seems to have all the features I could ever want and then some.

I just thought to ask if there are other people around with this monitor? How do you find it so far?

Earthlight

-- hide signature --

OP Earthlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208
Monitor delivered and running

I hopes some fellow hardware calibrators see this I will continue to map my experience with this monitor.

I have just received it and plugged it in. Oh man... The jump from my old 24" is much bigger than I thought. There is ample screen estate but the text is pretty small. Maybe I will need to tamper with some settings.

I have not calibrated this thing yet but will attempt it later tonight as soon as I get the Color Navigator software running. I'm hoping for those super smooth gradients... as it is, all the gradienst look stunning with factory presets but it is always a different story after calibration.

Anyhow, I am pleased so far. This think is big, really thick and robust. The quality seems impeccable. No dead pixels, so dead subpixels or anything so far. I did look specifically for those.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --

First calibration done

So, I just did my first calibration to the internal 16-bit LUT of the monitor. In validation I got less than 1 deltaE and my Lagom.nl black level, white level and most notably gradient tests are impeccable. I can not see one step in the gradient when calibrated. Not one. No matter how I squint.

Sorry for being so enthusiastic, but this is my own personal little monitor heaven. I'm there, the quality leaves nothing to be desired. I have been waiting for this day for so long...

Earthlight

-- hide signature --

bananahead Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: First calibration done

thanks for the write up

Re: First calibration done

Thanks bananahead!

I used my Spyder 4 to do the calibration and it was a seamless experience. Also, I updated the monitor firmware and downloaded the latest version of the Color Navigator software.

Now it is so easy to see what saving to jpg really does to files... even with max quality. But looking at some uncompressed .psd or raw files is a pleasure.

Also I am shocked how uneven the backlight of my old HP LP2475w must have been. This thing is solid all the way to the edges. The image is crisp and holds really nicely together. The anti-glare coating seems much more pleasant, not a dirty look to the highlights at all.

I am most impressed by the ease of the calibration. Since the Color Navigator talks to the monitor via the USB cable I did not have to adjust RGB sliders at all like I did before. The navigator software does all that and it does it fast. Calibration is no longer a chore, it is a pleasure.

I was most amused to see the monitor's internal color sensor pop out once the calibration was ready. It took some readings and apparently it will now hold the monitor in these specs even between full calibrations with the Spyder.

What else... hmm... I dunno, this thing is super impressive. The heft alone is quite reassuring. It does not seem to emit any kind of a sound, the osd buttons are nice, the stand is of good quality. Seems like a solid piece of gear so far.

Earthlight

ps. I am using it on a Win8.1 machine.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads