The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
Re: The trouble is

Josh152 wrote:

that from what I have seen of all people commenting and posting on the Df on DPR there are two groups of people who will never agree when it comes to the DF and which are the cause most of the arguing.

Those who fall in love with he retro look and old style control wheels whether from nostalgia or they just like it or it feels/looks like a real camera to them ect. These people don't care about the price/specs equation and just love the camera for it's retro design. They will defend against any criticism of the camera because they have such a strong emotional attachment to it.

Those who see cameras and the Df ans nothing more than another tool for taking photos and don't appreciate let alone share the stylistic and emotional reasons people want the Df. These people look at the specs, compare them to the D610 and D800, see the price of the Df and go, "WTF why would anyone spend so much on a striped down D610 just because it has a retro shell."

I'm afraid you have this seriously ALL WRONG. And to support your "side" you insist on avoiding the facts.

1) Some of us WANT the D4 sensor. It's superior to the D800 sensor starting at around ISO 3200. Spare me nonsense about what you can do with a D800 file in post. I own the D800. It's great. But my friend's D4 is better in low light RIGHT OUT OF THE CAMERA. Workflow is spared, files are smaller.

2) A smaller body is welcome. This is a far less intimidating machine to walk around with for the subjects. Perfect for street/candids and events.

3) The AF and Metering from the D610 are EXCELLENT. I have no idea how it suddenly became awful in a Df. The D610 works beautifully and the Af will likely be tweaked to work even better with the D4 sensor.

4) There are reports that the viewfinder and rear LCD are improved. If that is true then most of the Df detractors will really have to stand in the corner.

While I like the controls and such; it's certainly a better looking camera than any other FX camera, the features above are KEY in my reasons for adding it to my D800 kit.

I can't imagine why an actual photographer does not understand how any ONE of those points above don't make the Df an interesting camera. A second D800 just duplicates my existing performance. A D610 is BELOW my existing performance. The Df adds something. How hard is this to grasp?

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088

Josh152 wrote:

that from what I have seen of all people commenting and posting on the Df on DPR there are two groups of people who will never agree when it comes to the DF and which are the cause most of the arguing.

Those who fall in love with he retro look and old style control wheels whether from nostalgia or they just like it or it feels/looks like a real camera to them ect. These people don't care about the price/specs equation and just love the camera for it's retro design. They will defend against any criticism of the camera because they have such a strong emotional attachment to it.

Those who see cameras and the Df ans nothing more than another tool for taking photos and don't appreciate let alone share the stylistic and emotional reasons people want the Df. These people look at the specs, compare them to the D610 and D800, see the price of the Df and go, "WTF why would anyone spend so much on a striped down D610 just because it has a retro shell."

Except that the Df is much more than "a stripped down D610 with a retro shell". If people have haven't shot with the D4, downloaded images from it or if they are unaware of how fantastic the D4 sensor is, they might think that, but that is actually an inaccurate characterization of the Df.

Besides that it has a number of improvements over the D610 like a dedicated AF-ON button (one of the most frequent complaints about the D600 I've read), a new two axis horizon level, of course the manual exposure control dials, and from what I've read it has the best LiveView implementation of any Nikon DSLR.

I think one of the problems is that we didn't learn all that much about the Df and what it's like as a shooter from DPR's Preview. It was I thought light on content and and heavy on unfair criticism considering it was just a Preview. So unless people have seen other more detailed video previews of the new Nikon, I don't think they can fully appreciate what the Df offers versus the D610 and D800.

If you haven't read it, photographer Nasim Mansurov has a nice article on why he's excited about the Df.

http://photographylife.com/nikon-df-pictures-pricing

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
ragspix Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: ????

sshoihet wrote:

Kodachrome200 wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

turbsy wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Good GOD, people! Enough with the utterly asinine belly aching about the Df. Buy it, don't buy it but please, by Odin's Beard, SHUT UP ABOUT IT. It's just another camera. It isn't a cure for cancer. It isn't a terrorist attack. It isn't anything of any significant consequence. Get a sense of perspective.

I swear. The infantilism of this country is embarrassing at times.

Last time I checked this was a forum to talk about gear. would it be better if all the posts were praising the DF?

if you don't like the thread then don't reply to it and it will disappear.

Discussing is one thing. I think you know that. What has been going on here is FAR beyond the innocent discussion you frame it as. Nice try though.

???????

what is your problem. this has gone beyond innocent discussion? are you for real? Has it become sinister discussion? Your a piece of work. this is the first time i posted my opinion of the camera. Am i not entitled to my opinion?

your comment would be funny if it wasnt so paranoid

No but this incessant bellyaching about the camera, by people who have never even held it is not at all productive. This camera might be great for a lot of people but some of them won't even consider it now.

Really, do you think many of the posts about how people don't like it are at all useful? It's one thing to post an objective look at a product so people can make an informed decision but most of the posts here right now can be summarized as "I WANT, I WANT, I WANT!" Most of the complaining comes down to 2 things: 1. price, 2. it's not a D400. I think too many people think they're a snowflake, that they're special and what they want somehow matters to the rest of us. So no, unless you've held the camera, used it and have something useful to contribute, most of us don't care what you think about it.

The only reason I come here now is for amusement...

So what's wrong with that?... 

Sunnyjim Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

This shows how pathetic my life is, sitting here are reading complaints about Nikon's new camera when I could be pre-ordering one. Oh well, the camera store is closed right now! I guess, I'll read some more complaints.............

-- hide signature --

www.raphoto.zenfolio.com

Sunnyjim's gear list:Sunnyjim's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472

Except that the Df is much more than "a stripped down D610 with a retro shell". If people have haven't shot with the D4, downloaded images from it or if they are unaware of how fantastic the D4 sensor is, they might think that, but that is actually an inaccurate characterization of the Df.

Besides that it has a number of improvements over the D610 like a dedicated AF-ON button (one of the most frequent complaints about the D600 I've read), a new two axis horizon level, of course the manual exposure control dials, and from what I've read it has the best LiveView implementation of any Nikon DSLR.

I think one of the problems is that we didn't learn all that much about the Df and what it's like as a shooter from DPR's Preview. It was I thought light on content and and heavy on unfair criticism considering it was just a Preview. So unless people have seen other more detailed video previews of the new Nikon, I don't think they can fully appreciate what the Df offers versus the D610 and D800.

If you haven't read it, photographer Nasim Mansurov has a nice article on why he's excited about the Df.

http://photographylife.com/nikon-df-pictures-pricing

Mansurov is a photographer who can easily see how the Df fits in.

And you're quite right about the Df sensor. I used to walk around thinking my D800 sensor could do the same things...after I downsized and PP a bit. But after seeing lovely and usable ISO 6400 and higher shots from the D4 so easily and with more DR, I quickly got the picture.

My D800 is top dog at lower ISO with it's incredible DR and color. The D4 is on it's heals, but still behind. But as you start pushing the limits of low-light and trip beyond ISO 3200, the D4 keeps going and going. It feels a whole 2 stops better at times as the D800 really needs to nail an exposure to pull off the same things. The D4 does it easily. My friend has made 8x10 prints from ISO 12800 D4 files that are incredible. He also has the D800, which does well up to 3200 (and still hangs at 6400), but you need to work the files.

The sensors are BOTH great in their own ways and owning both makes sense if it suits your needs.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390
Re: Repeating nonsense doesnt make it true

Kodachrome200 wrote:

Nope, I wrote my opinion once in organized and clear way and a bunch of you all DF apologists lost your minds and worte some immatue silly things to defend the honor of a camera you dont even own. I am not crying. I am just not buying this camera

Please don't include me in this childish nonsense. It's only a camera  Some will like it, some won't. Get over it.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Hulamike
Hulamike Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
Maybe for posters too

We should do the same for posters here. You get an "S".

Josh152 wrote:

Kodachrome200 wrote:

Nope, I wrote my opinion once in organized and clear way and a bunch of you all DF apologists lost your minds and worte some immatue silly things to defend the honor of a camera you dont even own. I am not crying. I am just not buying this camera

True. Sorry to say some of these people who have to jump in a and defend the camera are starting to sound a lot like the most extreme fanboys on the m4/3s forum.

You do realise it is only a camera i.e. a consumer product? I can't understand why people polarise into two factions having childish arguments. Why?

-- hide signature --

Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,817
Disappointed in more choices ?

We would have not predicted that Nikon would add an extra product in its FF line-up just a few months ago. Nikon surprises us by introducing something different. Yes, this product does not meet the expectations of some, or seems expensive to other. But we can't argue that we have more choices.

I can see people wishing for a different camera in the latest Nikon dSLR entry, but why should we be disappointed when we got something we did not expect in the first place ? Just IMO 

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Hulamike
Re: For teeny weeny delicate little hands .......

Dood! Right On!

Chris G Hughes Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: Not again, what?

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Which country is that then? Oh you mean the allmighty USA - the only country on the whole interweb thingy. May I bow to you sir.

Notice the irony? I'm slamming my home nation (the USA) and getting taken to task for assuming that it's so great? Or something?

Calm down, sparky.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more

scokill wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

alabaster wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Which country is that then? Oh you mean the allmighty USA - the only country on the whole interweb thingy. May I bow to you sir.

Americans are generally infantile in respect to their geocentrism which is embarrassing at times.

We learned very well from the British

We grew out of that attitude decades ago.  Once we realised we no longer owned the world. Americans have yet to realise that the world is changing.

-- hide signature --

Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,325
Re: Df is the smallest, lightest DSLR on the market

marike6 wrote:

Mirrorless fans, including DPR, seem to think that ALL users want cameras to be as tiny and lightweight as possible. Often mirrorless camera vendors make all kinds of sacrifices in ergonomics to miniaturize cameras. Considering that APS-C and FF lenses can only be so small, mostly you end up with unbalanced cameras that really don't add improve usability and shooting experience.

I'm not sure why so many assume that EVERYONE shares their desire for teeny tiny cameras but some people seem to place a high premium on portability. Not everybody has the same requirements.

OMG some good sense here!

I make your words mine as from my part, also, I cannot understand the strong bias from DPR and the fanatism from a lot of people thinking everyone will prefer tiny cameras... they forget the handling!

I demand set dials for the main parameters for my shots... those dials need space to be fit comfortable to the Photographers.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Hulamike

I thought that was the only reason To come here.

Hulamike

Best question of the past week.

scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,003

Leif Goodwin wrote:

scokill wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

alabaster wrote:

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Americans are generally infantile in respect to their geocentrism which is embarrassing at times.

We learned very well from the British

We grew out of that attitude decades ago. Once we realised we no longer owned the world. Americans have yet to realise that the world is changing.

Agreed!  No argument here.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Hulamike

Says the man whose country is ruled by a medieval queen.

All Britain did was pass the mantle to the United States. I just wish we could dish it off to someone else, maybe China. Let them police the world for a change.

Hulamike wrote:

Says the man whose country is ruled by a medieval queen.

Actually she is only a figurehead with ceremonial duties and no real power.

All Britain did was pass the mantle to the United States. I just wish we could dish it off to someone else, maybe China. Let them police the world for a change.

The conceit of Americans that they police the world is no more than a cover for naked self interest. It is an absurd distortion of reality. You happily support oppressive regimes when it suits you. You only entered WW2 when Germany and Japan declared war on you, and would have been happy to see Britain and Europe fall to the Nazis. And in the meantime the American economy was booming selling weapons to us.

We were no better of course, invading Africa under the pretext that Africans were not civilised enough to look after themselves. It will be China's turn next to exercise power.

-- hide signature --

ragspix Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

Hulamike wrote:

I thought that was the only reason To come here.

I agree...

Hey you called me an a$$hole in another locked thread... I wanted to respond...

Well you really know how to put someone in the place.... 

BTW do you know my bride? That's her nickname for me..

Rags

Graham Hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,355

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Agreed.  Why did you read a thread you clearly have no interest in????

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads