The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions
Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,364
Well, it looks Df did not disappoint A LOT of people...

Well, it looks Df did not disappoint A LOT of people...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390
Re: What I don't understand...

Kodachrome200 wrote:

is why everyone who likes the Df feels compelled to whine of every post that someone who doesnt like it states there opinion. I dont know what is about a retro nikon that attracted all the woulds crybabies.

Since you started a cry baby thread, maybe you can answer that last question. By the way, I'm not picking on you, the forum is full of similar threads, and some of the gushing ones are as bad.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Hulamike
Hulamike Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
Down Boy!

Down boy! It was a joke. Just commenting on yet another Df thread in the last few days. Just what we need btw, your 2 cents worth. And before you go all ballistic on me, yes. I know I participated in every one of them. Just going through topic fatigue i guess.

Paphios Regular Member • Posts: 395
Re: The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment

The main reason that there is so much whining about the Df is that people developed unfounded fantasies of what the camera was.  Deciding that you want to buy a camera that doesn't exist is pretty much guaranteed to result in disappointment when it comes in contact with the real world.

People who like what the camera has to offer and have the spare cash will buy it.  There are several things I like about the camera but I decided it was more cost effective to stick with the D800e + d700 combo that I already have.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,902
Re: Down Boy!

Hulamike wrote:

Down boy! It was a joke. Just commenting on yet another Df thread in the last few days. Just what we need btw, your 2 cents worth. And before you go all ballistic on me, yes. I know I participated in every one of them. Just going through topic fatigue i guess.

You should be a little more obvious with your jokes.  Furthermore, your response was to my post.  How do I not take it as a direct comment on my opinion?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,329
Don't get the whole split focus thing

I know some people like it, but I never really cared for it in my FE. I thought it was hard to use in low light, and too much recompose.  It worked, but I was much happier with DSLR AF. And I prefer the clean window look. And until the Df, I never saw many posts with people screaming for it in their dslrs or they wouldnt buy them. Now all of a sudden, without MF aids, no one can manual focus anymore. When I need critical MF, which isn't often, I use a tripod and LV.

Supposedly the Df may have improved MF capability. I guess we will have to wait and see. But certainly in no way a deal breaker for me. I;m getting the Df for the sensor and the cool build. The buffer is pretty nice too.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
Hulamike
Hypocrites

That is interesting isn't it. A month ago most here would say they never manual focus, thats why they bought model xyz for its AF. Now all of a sudden this particular camera is "crippled" because it doesn't have a split screen focus aid for manual focusing. I seriously doubt most of them ever looked through a camera with a split screen ground glass prism aid.

Hypocrites.

Hulamike
Almost had it 2001

There was a company trying to make a drop in 2MP sensor and storage the size of a roll of film around 2001. Cant remember their name but they never got it launched. Sensor size and rapid development soon overtook them but it was an interesting concept. Drop a digital camera into your existing film camera.

Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757

Split image with micro micro prisms focusing screen is annoying, I'm glad the modern DSLR viewfinder is clean & clear. Anyway I've no interest at all in Df as its reto design looks ugly and not necessary IMO.

-- hide signature --
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,910

Kodachrome200 wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

I'm not going to assume the focus screen used isn't good for MF lenses until I compare for myself. It's been reported the screen does work well with MF operation. It's too early to write this camera off IMHO.

BTW -none- of the dozens of MF cameras ever had a "focus aid", they did have a nice ground glass focus screen. Lack of focus aid <> doesn't work for MFing.

Did not understand all of that but,

stacey we know it is not going to be a ground glass and it will not have microprisms or a split prism. its a typical fresnel focusing screen for an AF camera, this has already been announced and looked at by reviewers

A well know reviewer of nikon gear said it worked better with MF lenses. BTW all focus screen are "ground glass" finish or they wouldn't work. The Fresnel is on the other side of the screen. The surface finish on the "ground" side determines how well the focus snaps in and out vs finder brightness.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,910

Leif Goodwin wrote:

Kodachrome200 wrote:

is why everyone who likes the Df feels compelled to whine of every post that someone who doesnt like it states there opinion. I dont know what is about a retro nikon that attracted all the woulds crybabies.

Since you started a cry baby thread, maybe you can answer that last question.

+1 hehe and until I see and use one, I'm not going to discount how it may or may not work based on conjecture.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more
Zenjitsuman Contributing Member • Posts: 793

I would have traded in the manual controls on the left side of the camera for the AF module of the D4.  As is the D610 is a better deal.

I like the command dials, the manual dials are duplications of functions, and you cant see in the VF

what they are set to , and changing them means moving your hands, looking at the dials, unlocking the locking buttons.  Too much work comparred to the command dials controling settings and the OVF telling what your shooting at.

I would love to see a D7100 sized FF camera and dare I say it a EVF model.  I have two EVF cameras

The Pen EP5 with the VF4 evf and the Nex HD evf and in low light I see things I cannot with the OVF.

Zenjitsuman's gear list:Zenjitsuman's gear list
Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron
alabaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
Re: Not again, what?

Chris G Hughes wrote:

I swear. The infantilism of this country is embarrassing at times.

Which country is that then? Oh you mean the allmighty USA - the only country on the whole interweb thingy. May I bow to you sir.

-- hide signature --
 alabaster's gear list:alabaster's gear list
Nikon D810 +1 more
Sunnyjim Senior Member • Posts: 1,039
If the Nikon Df were a car.......

what would it be. I think maybe a Plymouth Prowler. I like the camera a lot and all of the manual controls. However, I'm interested in it as a second camera, not my primary commuter.

My first SLR was a Honeywell Pentax, with manual controls, and yes, this camera would let me re-live that experience.

Oh yeah, compared to all of the other retro cameras out there, the Df has a lot of class, but will wait to see how it performs.

Would love to see the price come down, but Nikon doesn't seem to discount very much especially if the production run is limited.........like the Prowler.

-- hide signature --

www.raphoto.zenfolio.com

Sunnyjim's gear list:Sunnyjim's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 II
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,580
Which other FF DSLR is smaller (than the Df)?

Kodachrome200 wrote:

They should have made the camera just as small as was possible. this camera is not the smallest and lightest full frame dslr on the market. It should have been.

Which FF DSLR is smaller? And the point of this camera was that could re-use a lot (most) of the parts from the D600 and thus allow Nikon to spread its FF sales (below the $4000/6000 mark) over three models without having to design three completely separate cameras.

The Df likely creates some additional (FF) sales for Nikon but it won't increase their FF sales by 50%, which it would have needed to create the income needed to cover the investment cost to design a third affordable FF camera.

MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,648
Re: Don't get the whole split focus thing

sandy b wrote:

I know some people like it, but I never really cared for it in my FE. I thought it was hard to use in low light, and too much recompose. It worked, but I was much happier with DSLR AF. And I prefer the clean window look. And until the Df, I never saw many posts with people screaming for it in their dslrs or they wouldnt buy them. Now all of a sudden, without MF aids, no one can manual focus anymore. When I need critical MF, which isn't often, I use a tripod and LV.

Supposedly the Df may have improved MF capability. I guess we will have to wait and see. But certainly in no way a deal breaker for me. I;m getting the Df for the sensor and the cool build. The buffer is pretty nice too.

Personally I think it really comes down to peoples views of what lenses this camera is "suited" for.

That the camera can take pre AIS lenses doesn't mean that such lenses or manual lenses were its main intended use. While its control system is most associated with the pre AF era I see now reason why the two need go together, the F4 for example used a similar system and offered AF. It offered a spilt street option as well of course but its controls were created to exploit its AF potential.

My guess is that the market for those who want these controls AND AF is much greater than the market for those that want MF, although the latter is often very vocal.

Personally to me the premium doesn't seem all that extreme either relative to the rest of the market. To start with I think the D4 sensor was always going to need to recoup more R&D money per unit, beyond that though many other manifacturers have charged a clear premium for retro design(much more limated retro design as well that likely cost less to devolp) in recent years. In terms of purchase value today the D800 is clearly better but your talking an 18 month old camera.

Dennis Watts Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Well, it looks Df did not disappoint A LOT of people...

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/11/07/nikon-df-demand-not-as-strong-as-the-d800.aspx/

If the Df was $2,000-2,200 this would be a different story.

Dennis Watts's gear list:Dennis Watts's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +8 more
Hulamike

You're the only one crying bucko.

SonyForNow
SonyForNow Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: Not again, what?

Yeah, reminds me of a what camera should I buy article. They think they're stuck with the Df (or other camera) forever because there won't be any future models made and don't want to make the wrong choice.

SonyForNow's gear list:SonyForNow's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony a7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,329
That' a bit ingenuous of NR, IMO

Of course it won't match the D800 in sales, did anyone think it would? Apples and oranges. The Df is a specialty, an 80th anniversary release from Nikon if you want. It is going to be a very special, fine camera. That will sell to about 12,000 a month, at least that's how many Nikon is making.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads