Mid-range zoom for manual focus video on EOS-M

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions
jm_mac Senior Member • Posts: 2,039
Mid-range zoom for manual focus video on EOS-M

Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out new uses for the two neat little EOS-Ms I bought, and I think it may be perfect for the videos I take, but I need help finding a lens in the 50-150mm or 70-200mm range that is good for manual focusing. I take videos of my son's indoor hockey league currently with a Pentax K-01 and a Sigma 50-150mm which work okay, but the focus throw is very short making manual focusing a bit difficult. If I could find a Canon lens that works well with manual focus (i.e. long focus throw), then I could use it for video on the EOS-M (with adapter of course), and then maybe sell the K-01 (great camera, but I need to sell something off as I have collected too many cameras as of late).

The lens actually doesn't have to be a manual focus lens, but it must work well with manual focus. Autofocus is great for still or slowly moving things, but not for hockey.  I have done some research for my Pentax'es and it seems a 70-200 or 80-200 push-pull type works well for manual focus + zoom. I know there are some older Canon push-pull types, but they use the old screw drive mechanism. Any suggestions for Canon?

TIA

jm_mac

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Ricoh WG-M1 Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS 80D +12 more
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
6x9
6x9 Regular Member • Posts: 262
EOS M May Be Not The Best Tool in Your Case

If you shoot with manual focus only, why do you want to sell the Pentax K-01. It is a great camera (I have two of these), very nice video quality (although no AF) and a huge battery - which is very important when you shoot video.

If you want smooth manual focusing, you would rather look for older MF lenses. AF lenses are designed to be easy for motor to focus them, they do not provide that smoothness as the MF lenses.There are a lot of K-mount manual lenses around for your Pentax, you can easilly find one. And if you get Pentax A or 3rd party equivalent (with electrical contacts) you will have full compatribility with K-01 - metering and automatic aperture will work. You can get M version too, but would need to use a green button to set the exposure with such lens. If I want a MF lens for shooting video, my preferense is Pentax A 35-105 f/3.5. I do not use telephoto lenses much,so difficult to advise. However there are many very inexpensive Pentax lenses around. I would go to a camera store and try old manual lenses.

With the EOS M it looks a bit more tricky. If you want a good MF lens for Canon M you have two choices - find a EF AF lens which is suits your manual focusing needs (still a EF-EOS M adapter is needed), or use a manual focus lens with matching adapter. In the first case I doubt that any AF lens (unless specifically designed for video) can give you the same feeling as a MF lens. And you will be limited to shooting in full manual mode only in the second case.

-- hide signature --

- 6x9 -

6x9's gear list:6x9's gear list
Nikon D80 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-01 +24 more
OP jm_mac Senior Member • Posts: 2,039
Re: EOS M May Be Not The Best Tool in Your Case

Hi 6x9

6x9 wrote:

If you shoot with manual focus only, why do you want to sell the Pentax K-01. It is a great camera (I have two of these), very nice video quality (although no AF) and a huge battery - which is very important when you shoot video.

The K-01 is definitely a great camera, no argument there.  It's just that I'm trying to reduce my camera "inventory".  I mainly use the K-01 for videos - very rarely for stills anymore.  Since I bought the EOS-Ms at such great deals, and they are my latest shiny new toys (and they are actually pretty fun to use for stills), I thought I may be able to use them for video as well and lighten my "inventory".

If you want smooth manual focusing, you would rather look for older MF lenses. AF lenses are designed to be easy for motor to focus them, they do not provide that smoothness as the MF lenses.There are a lot of K-mount manual lenses around for your Pentax, you can easilly find one. And if you get Pentax A or 3rd party equivalent (with electrical contacts) you will have full compatribility with K-01 - metering and automatic aperture will work. You can get M version too, but would need to use a green button to set the exposure with such lens. If I want a MF lens for shooting video, my preferense is Pentax A 35-105 f/3.5. I do not use telephoto lenses much,so difficult to advise. However there are many very inexpensive Pentax lenses around. I would go to a camera store and try old manual lenses.

Is the Pentax A 35-105 f/3.5 push pull?  Some folks highly recommend the push-pulls because you can zoom and focus with the one ring.  How is the focus throw on that?  I realize it is not long enough for my uses, but I know there are many Pentax lenses in the same "family" I could look at that are long enough.

With the EOS M it looks a bit more tricky. If you want a good MF lens for Canon M you have two choices - find a EF AF lens which is suits your manual focusing needs (still a EF-EOS M adapter is needed), or use a manual focus lens with matching adapter. In the first case I doubt that any AF lens (unless specifically designed for video) can give you the same feeling as a MF lens. And you will be limited to shooting in full manual mode only in the second case.

I understand your first case - in the second case, that means true full manual (i.e. aperture, shutter, etc.)?

- 6x9 -

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

jm_mac

Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,861
Re: Mid-range zoom for manual focus video on EOS-M

You could consider older manual focus FD lenses via a cheap adaptor. I have been using this and they work well http://eos-m.net/lenses/using-canon-fd-lenses-eos-m/ especially if you install Magic Lantern to get the additional focusing aids. Focus Peeking is very useful for manual focusing, especially in video.

The older FD lenses were designed for manual focusing of course, so work well and have really smooth actions. It just feels right.

However, you lose IS as well. Which for hand-held video is a pain. But if you use a monopod or better still a tripod you can overcome that.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +8 more

You could consider older manual focus FD lenses via a cheap adaptor. I have been using this and they work well http://eos-m.net/lenses/using-canon-fd-lenses-eos-m/ especially if you install Magic Lantern to get the additional focusing aids. Focus Peeking is very useful for manual focusing, especially in video.

The older FD lenses were designed for manual focusing of course, so work well and have really smooth actions. It just feels right.

However, you lose IS as well. Which for hand-held video is a pain. But if you use a monopod or better still a tripod you can overcome that.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the info. The link has some great information there, I will have to go through that website when I get home later. Losing IS is not an issue since I will be using a tripod. Do you have any specific lens recommendations?
Thanks,
Jm_mac

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,914

Good writeup. Thanks for sharing. In earlier days, there were many lenses like that, especially used on bellows, etc., where one could quickly go back and forth between wide open (for focusing, composing) and closed down (for exposure). Many ingenious folks producing these adapters, including the ones that open the aperture on lenses without an aperture ring.

6x9
6x9 Regular Member • Posts: 262

jm_mac wrote:

Hi 6x9

Is the Pentax A 35-105 f/3.5 push pull? Some folks highly recommend the push-pulls because you can zoom and focus with the one ring. How is the focus throw on that? I realize it is not long enough for my uses, but I know there are many Pentax lenses in the same "family" I could look at that are long enough.

The 35-105 has two separate rings for focusing and zooming. But indeed there are many other lenses around.

With the EOS M it looks a bit more tricky. If you want a good MF lens for Canon M you have two choices - find a EF AF lens which suits your manual focusing needs (still a EF-EOS M adapter is needed), or use a manual focus lens with matching adapter. In the first case I doubt that any AF lens (unless specifically designed for video) can give you the same feeling as a MF lens. And you will be limited to shooting in full manual mode only in the second case.

I understand your first case - in the second case, that means true full manual (i.e. aperture, shutter, etc.)?

I may have explained myself not clearly. I meant that you will not be able to control aperture from the camera, but will have to set it manualy on the lens. It is probably not a big deal for video (unless there is a need to change aperture during filming), but certainly very inconvenient for stills, as the automatic aperture will not work.

-- hide signature --

- 6x9 -

6x9's gear list:6x9's gear list
Nikon D80 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-01 +24 more

6x9 wrote:

jm_mac wrote:

Hi 6x9

Is the Pentax A 35-105 f/3.5 push pull? Some folks highly recommend the push-pulls because you can zoom and focus with the one ring. How is the focus throw on that? I realize it is not long enough for my uses, but I know there are many Pentax lenses in the same "family" I could look at that are long enough.

The 35-105 has two separate rings for focusing and zooming. But indeed there are many other lenses around.

With the EOS M it looks a bit more tricky. If you want a good MF lens for Canon M you have two choices - find a EF AF lens which suits your manual focusing needs (still a EF-EOS M adapter is needed), or use a manual focus lens with matching adapter. In the first case I doubt that any AF lens (unless specifically designed for video) can give you the same feeling as a MF lens. And you will be limited to shooting in full manual mode only in the second case.

I may have explained myself not clearly. I meant that you will not be able to control aperture from the camera, but will have to set it manualy on the lens. It is probably not a big deal for video (unless there is a need to change aperture during filming), but certainly very inconvenient for stills, as the automatic aperture will not work.

Ok, I get it now.  Changing the aperture on the lens is not a big deal for me, and the lens I'm looking for will be used only for video, not stills.  Thanks for the replies.

jm_mac

Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,861

jm_mac wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards
Lawrence
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

Thanks for the info. The link has some great information there, I will have to go through that website when I get home later. Losing IS is not an issue since I will be using a tripod. Do you have any specific lens recommendations?
Thanks,
Jm_mac

There are generally lots of cheap FD 70-210mm F4 zooms on ebay, and that is a push-pull lens that is easy to zoom and focus at the same time.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdzooms/70210.htm
It was a popular lens, so there are lots about.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads