What if you had $5000?

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions
Darrell500
Darrell500 Senior Member • Posts: 2,125
What if you had $5000?

Just for fun if you had $5,000.00 to put into camera gear for semi pro work, such as weddings, concerts, studio portraits, fashion and seniors, which gear would you buy?

I'm curious because I have a bid of about 4K from KEH for all my gear except a couple shg lenses which I might keep in case I pick up a EM1 at a later date. I can throw another $1,000 into the pot giving me only $5000.00 US to work with, not a small amount but not large either when trying to buy into a new system, so where to start, any ideas?

Had I bailed a couple years ago I would have gotten a lot more for this gear. I thought about selling individually but KEH makes it all so simple send it all off and collect your money.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 +35 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Re: What if you had $5000?

If you like quiet shooting the 6d is supposed to be great.  And they have the new 24-70 2.8 that RogerCicala says is one of the best zooms he ever tested. A good start. Add an 85 prime, a fast 50, something longer, and flashes...that's a start.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: What if you had $5000? - Lenses

Hi Darrell,

What a tough choice, giving up your lenses and equipment for wholesale prices. I'm guessing they offered you half of expected retail value. Any retailer has to mark up 100% to make a profit and stay in business.

Try listing them just once for the prices Goblin researched in his thread here. Or be bold and ask for 70 to 80% of new value on the lenses. Or ask for what KEH has been getting for them. They are worth it. That's what I'm going to do. List them here in the For Sale and Wanted forum. What could you afford if you had $8000?

For $5000 I'd suggest a full frame body and the best f/2.8 lenses. It's all about the lenses. A good choice is the D610 and 3 Nikon lenses. You can get two zooms and a 50/1.8, 105 micro OR the 85 f/1.8 for everythig you need. The D or G lenses are both good. Read a few reviews before you pay double for a /1.4G over a /1.8D or /1.8G. I picked up a used copy of the 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR, version one, from a friend locally for about half price. Now I need the 24-70/2.8.

There are lots of used pieces of Nikon and Canon gear on the market, as Peter, aka Meisser Object pointed out in Harri's thread today. Buy a used D610 from KEH? That could be the same price as a new E-5, if there was one.

Your Olympus flashes will probably work in manual mode so consider keeping those. Also radio triggers will trigger them remotely from any camera. That's my short term plan for flashes. I have six FL-50. Six top Nikon flashes would set me back $3000.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
OlyChamp
OlyChamp Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451
Re: What if you had $5000? Oly for me

I'm sure I could get both an E1 and an E5, a 90-250, a 14-54 a 50mm and maybe have enough left for the EM-1 and a 12-60.  Dreams are after all free.

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
dav Regular Member • Posts: 233
Re: What if you had $5000? Oly for me

OlyChamp wrote:

I'm sure I could get both an E1 and an E5, a 90-250, a 14-54 a 50mm and maybe have enough left for the EM-1 and a 12-60. Dreams are after all free.

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"

on ya Kiwi, thats what I like to hear Champ

Kiwi Dave

rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,640

D3's are really cheap right now and still are one of the best working cameras ever made. Be careful about lens selection and you could create a really nice working kit for that money.

On the other hand, if you're just shooting for fun, I would go with the EM1 and get the m4/3rds 'pro' lenses. Much lighter and more fun if the mission isn't critical.

Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,226

Darrell500 wrote:

Just for fun if you had $5,000.00 to put into camera gear for semi pro work, such as weddings, concerts, studio portraits, fashion and seniors, which gear would you buy?

I'm curious because I have a bid of about 4K from KEH for all my gear except a couple shg lenses which I might keep in case I pick up a EM1 at a later date. I can throw another $1,000 into the pot giving me only $5000.00 US to work with, not a small amount but not large either when trying to buy into a new system, so where to start, any ideas?

Had I bailed a couple years ago I would have gotten a lot more for this gear. I thought about selling individually but KEH makes it all so simple send it all off and collect your money.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Hi Darrell,
If as you say this is for semi-pro work I'd go for a brand new body,  and look for value in used lenses.

D610 or 6D for the body,  then as already suggested,  a quality f/2.8 zoom in the 24-80mm class,  And I'd suggest a fast prime f/1.8 or faster for doing those subject-isolated portraits that FF cameras are so good at.
If you go Canon I suggest you look at the Yongnuo flash equipment which is 100% Canon compatible at 30% the price.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,606

Darrell500 wrote:

Hmmm. For your 'semi pro' work, one of the best deals out there at the moment would centre around an early Nikon FX camera. Preferably two or more of course. Personally, I'd keep a lookout for a clean, low use (non pro!) D3 (these do exist), or maybe even a D700 if the lack of twin card slots doesn't factor into your professionalism equation!

I'd get a couple of dedicated flashes. I haven't checked the prices recently as I have all the flashes I need, but there MIGHT be some deals on the 'older' SB900 ones (lots of people changed up to the 910 due to overheating issues with the 900, but if you're used to shooting Oly, then unless you're mega trigger happy and have a HV pack, even the older 900 is going to be superior to the FL50). Two SB900 cams with a flick of a switch master/slave off camera lighting control and Nikons very reliable CLS would be a revelation in terms of speed of use and exposure accuracy.

Lenses? Get an 80-200 twin ring AFD. Loads second hand, but you can still get these new. 90% as good as a 70-200VR but something like a third of the price.Even less second hand.

Then see how much cash is left. The 24-70/2.8 isn't cheap, but you can't go wrong with that lens.

As you really should be looking at two bodies, you're probably over your cash limit now, however the thing is, if you had say two D3 bodies, with a 24-70 and 80-200 .... why would you need to keep your SHG lenses? I now really can't see oly EVER releasing a 4/3 compatible camera that will give you a system for your event shooting needs that will get close to the performance of that Nikon setup. The EM1 type body would still be a great camera to have ... but its USP would be to have a high quality, low weight system for say travel, and for that you need non-SHG lenses anyway. So sell the SHG lenses (tough call though) to fund more FX ones for the pro stuff, and keep the smaller 4/3 lenses for a compact but high quality EM1 based travel/personal system.

This is effectively what I've ended up with. Kind of anyway.

rovingtim wrote:

D3's are really cheap right now and still are one of the best working cameras ever made. Be careful about lens selection and you could create a really nice working kit for that money.

On the other hand, if you're just shooting for fun, I would go with the EM1 and get the m4/3rds 'pro' lenses. Much lighter and more fun if the mission isn't critical.

ha! I started writing my own reply, then went and had breakfast  before finishing it off.

Sounds like you are on the same wavelength as me. Kind of anyway. I guess yes, I agree, if you DO want very high quality lenses still on the EM1, then it might be worth dumping all the 4/3 lenses and getting Oly pro MFT ones. They do look good, and they do make the system even smaller again

Darrell500
OP Darrell500 Senior Member • Posts: 2,125
Thanks To All

A couple of you suggested both Canon and Nikon's stripped down FF's like the 6D and D610, strangely I have never even considered these options, I guess I need to take another look.

I kind of like Thomas Kolenich's idea, keep my Oly gear and add a D3 and have the best of both worlds.

Anyways thanks again for all the comments, I hope we get even more, it's a lot of fun reading how differently we would all spend $5K.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 +35 more
windsprite
windsprite Senior Member • Posts: 2,477
Re: What if you had $5000? - Lenses

dave gaines wrote:

Hi Darrell,

What a tough choice, giving up your lenses and equipment for wholesale prices. I'm guessing they offered you half of expected retail value. Any retailer has to mark up 100% to make a profit and stay in business.

Try listing them just once for the prices Goblin researched in his thread here. Or be bold and ask for 70 to 80% of new value on the lenses. Or ask for what KEH has been getting for them. They are worth it. That's what I'm going to do. List them here in the For Sale and Wanted forum. What could you afford if you had $8000?

For $5000 I'd suggest a full frame body and the best f/2.8 lenses. It's all about the lenses. A good choice is the D610 and 3 Nikon lenses. You can get two zooms and a 50/1.8, 105 micro OR the 85 f/1.8 for everythig you need. The D or G lenses are both good. Read a few reviews before you pay double for a /1.4G over a /1.8D or /1.8G.

I have the 50/1.8D and 85/1.8D. Although they are good lenses and very cost effective, I have tried the new 50/1.8G and 85/1.8G and think that if you are buying for the first time, the improvement in IQ is well worth the relatively small increase in price over the older lenses.

The D lenses are sharp wide open and still have a lot of fans, but the newer ones are even sharper and have better contrast and bokeh.

I also tried the 85/1.8G against the 85/1.4G, and although the f/1.4G has visibly better bokeh, the two G lenses are so close that if I were upgrading my 85/1.8D (I'm not), I would definitely take the 1.8G over the 1.4G and save the balance of my money for something else. (I did only have time to test at f/1.4 and f/1.8, though, and I don't know what happens when you stop down.)

I love the Sigma 50/1.4 for its creamy bokeh, and it's not expensive. It's a chunky, heavy lens, though. It's not that much bigger or heavier than a 14-54, but it just seems big for a fast fifty.  It's a bit of a chore to carry, especially compared to the miniscule 50/1.8D (155g) but I'm stuck traveling with it, because it's such a nice lens.

You may find that wide open, the fast Nikkors have more CA than you are used to seeing on four thirds, but if you had a four thirds lens that could achieve the same look (ie. f/0.9 or f/0.7), I think you would find a similar amount of CA. I've seen it on the fast m4/3 Voigtlanders, as a matter of fact.

Also, if you pixel peep a 24MP or 36MP image, it'll magnify the fringey parts, just because you have more pixels on them than with the 12MP sensors you may be accustomed to.

I picked up a used copy of the 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR, version one, from a friend locally for about half price.

I have this lens.  Love it, though I know the VRII improves on it in most ways.

The VRI has a reputation for having soft corners on FF, but this shouldn't be a problem for event/portrait shooting.  Even for landscapes, I find it sharp into the corners at the apertures you would normally use for that kind of shooting.  That's on the 12MP D700, though.  A 24MP or 36MP sensor might reveal corner softness upon pixel peeping.

The ONLY problem I have personally encountered with the 70-200 is vignetting.  Most of the time I don't mind it, but it was a pain when I once tried to stitch a panorama using JPEGs and had forgotten to turn on the in-camera vignetting control.

Julie

Now I need the 24-70/2.8.

There are lots of used pieces of Nikon and Canon gear on the market, as Peter, aka Meisser Object pointed out in Harri's thread today. Buy a used D610 from KEH? That could be the same price as a new E-5, if there was one.

Your Olympus flashes will probably work in manual mode so consider keeping those. Also radio triggers will trigger them remotely from any camera. That's my short term plan for flashes. I have six FL-50. Six top Nikon flashes would set me back $3000.

-- hide signature --

Dave

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +40 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,641
Wow....

Well, to begin with, I'd pick up a Nikon D610 with kit lens, or I'd get the body and then get the new Sigma 24-105.  I'd then also wind up getting the E-M1 and all the trimmings (meaning the 12-40, battery grip, etc.).  That should pretty well go through the 5K.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
Dan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,605

Darrell sent you a note maybe we are on the same path but going different directions?  lol

I am considering selling my Nikon D3, a lens or two (I have a slew of primes), and possibly some pocket wizard TT5's for an Olympus E-M1 and the 12-40 zoom.

No one here in town is carrying the E-M1 so that's about the only reason I haven't already picked one up...I really need to check it out.

The D3 and of course the D800 aren't "too heavy" when I go on walks since I normally also just take a lens or two!

Having just used the D800 and the D3 in a wedding I can say it's very "relaxing" to know the focus is going to be spot on!

Dan

Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,022
Re: What if you had $5000? - Savings

Right now if I had $5,000, I would not be buying more camera equipment, but I would save the money aside.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II
Karaya Senior Member • Posts: 2,036
I would buy the new Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4 Apo!

Well, you did ask what I would buy if I had $5k to spend! This lens sounds spectacular and would complement my 5D MKIII and 85L very well.

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +3 more
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,434
For me it would be easy...

E-M1 w/HLD-7 & 12-40mm f/2.8 = $2,400 (Net of current Oly $200 rebate)

Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 = $1,300

Oly 45mm f/1.8 = $300

Used (Back up) E-M5 body (LN- Cond. KEH) = $700 (Add HLD-6 later)

Bower 7.5mm Fisheye = $239

Total = $4,939

Depending on your flash situation, I might get the FL-600R instead of the Bower.

For the types of shooting you indicated, this set up is more than adequate to do pro work. I chuckle every time I see someone suggest that if you are doing 'pro' shooting you must shoot full frame systems -- it's nonsense for the types of work you are listing.

The notion that clients won't think you are 'professional' if you don't have a giant camera/lens set up is silly -- 99.9% of all clients are interested in results, not gear.

I recently shot a wedding with my E-M5's. Here is a quote from the 'Thank You' card I received from the bride:

"Thank you very much for photographing our wedding. The pictures all came out great. I'm having a hard time picking my favorites!"

All of the ceremony shots were done at ISO 3200, and no one asked why my camera was so small.

Below is a shot done from a recent Acura sponsored event -- this shot was done at ISO 3200 at 1/4 Sec. hand held. By the way, the blotchy sky in the background is from city lit cloud formations -- not high ISO noise (as you can see by the black on the car).

I hope whatever you end up with is a system you will be happy with:-)

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Henry Stamm Senior Member • Posts: 2,668
Re: If I could find one that cheap . . .

and I actually had $5000 to blow, I would get the 4/3 version of the Sigmonster:  the 300-800mm supertele to attach to my E5.  Perfect for wildlife without having to get within 100 yards to get an up-close and persoanl view.

-- hide signature --
 Henry Stamm's gear list:Henry Stamm's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +2 more
dave gaines
Good info on FF Lenses

windsprite wrote:

Dave wrote: ... For $5000 I'd suggest a full frame body and the best f/2.8 lenses. It's all about the lenses. A good choice is the D610 and 3 Nikon lenses. ...

... The D lenses are sharp wide open and still have a lot of fans, but the newer ones (G) are even sharper and have better contrast and bokeh.

Thanks Julie. That's good to know. I haven't figured out what the differences are yet, besides having an aperture ring on the D lenses. And I'm not sure how you can use an aperture ring when the camera is controlling exposure and aperture either in manual mode or auto.

I also tried the 85/1.8G against the 85/1.4G, and although the f/1.4G has visibly better bokeh, the two G lenses are so close that if I were upgrading my 85/1.8D (I'm not), I would definitely take the 1.8G over the 1.4G and save the balance of my money for something else. ...

Good advice. This confirms everything I've read in lens reviews so far.

You may find that wide open, the fast Nikkors have more CA than you are used to seeing on four thirds, but ...

I wonder? If you shoot wide open maybe you should avoid shooting into the bright light or high contrast scenes, where CA is likely to occur. I shoot wide open when the light falls and in that situation there is less contrast. For DDOF control in bright situations it may be important to choosebackgrounds with less contrast.

I picked up a used copy of the 70-200/2.8 AF-S VR, version one, from a friend locally for about half price.

I have this lens.  Love it, though I know the VRII improves on it in most ways.

The VRI has a reputation for having soft corners on FF, but this shouldn't be a problem for event/portrait shooting.  Even for landscapes, I find it sharp into the corners at the apertures you would normally use for that kind of shooting.  That's on the 12MP D700, though.  A 24MP or 36MP sensor might reveal corner softness upon pixel peeping.

Yes, the lens reviews confirm all of this. Vignette happens on all lenses, this one a bit more than somezooms and most primes. The big advantage of the 70-200/2.8, version one is that it has focus stop buttons and it does not exhibit the reduction in focal length at close focus that version two, VRII suffers from. Read the review at SLR Gear for an explanation of this. The version one lens hood is larger/longer too, which can be an advantage if you're shooting into bright light. IMHO VRII has a better, more useful focus limiting switch, from 5 m to infinity rather than 2.5 m to infinity. The focus limit switch on the Olympus 35-100 is much more useul. I will miss the Olympus lenses. 

Now I need the 24-70/2.8.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Read the OP folks

Darrell's idea is to sell all of his Olympus gear for $4000, add $1000 out of pocket and "upgrade" to a new system. What could he get in any particular system that you'd recommend?

Also, I think that maybe suggesting more Olympus gear is not in keeping with Darrelll's stated plan. The m4/3 camera and lenses may be a good idea for some people shooting for fun and pleasure, but probably not for someone shooting professionally who needs higher IQ in the lenses.

The OP is asking a hypothetical question which is dependent on selling the Olympus gear he has.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Re: Good info on FF Lenses

dave gaines wrote:

The focus limit switch on the Olympus 35-100 is much more useul.

Buy a 70-200 first. I've never even felt the need to engage the focus limiter.

I will miss the Olympus lenses

We'll see.

And its not 'all about the glass' as you keep saying. Its about the system as a whole.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads