Sold My Panasonic DMC-GX1, Bought Another Canon EOS M Double Kit

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions
6x9
6x9 Regular Member • Posts: 269
Sold My Panasonic DMC-GX1, Bought Another Canon EOS M Double Kit

I have just sold my Panasonic DMC-GX1 to finance (partially) my second EOS M double kit purchase.

I am really enjoying the EOS M. Now I have decided to have a different color -  Bay Blue (Canon marketing works!).

I am also planning to dive into 3D photos, and the EOS system is the only one on the market which supports remote shutter release via hot shoe, which I think is a great (but expensive) feature. But there seems to be a chineese analog of the Canon ST-E3-RT is on its way.

After using my EOS M for nearly 2 weeks now, I came to conclusion that that the GX1 (despite being a great camera) was feeling more bulky than I wanted it and is looking a bit outdated. I still prefer metal buttons on the GX1, and I will be missing the digital level... but the EOS M is so fun to use.

-- hide signature --

- 6x9 -

6x9's gear list:6x9's gear list
Nikon D80 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-01 +26 more
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,825
have M, but thinking about buying a used GX1 for m43 fun

I have just sold my Panasonic DMC-GX1 to finance (partially) my second EOS M double kit purchase.

I am really enjoying the EOS M. Now I have decided to have a different color -  Bay Blue (Canon marketing works!).

I am also planning to dive into 3D photos, and the EOS system is the only one on the market which supports remote shutter release via hot shoe, which I think is a great (but expensive) feature. But there seems to be a chineese analog of the Canon ST-E3-RT is on its way.

After using my EOS M for nearly 2 weeks now, I came to conclusion that that the GX1 (despite being a great camera) was feeling more bulky than I wanted it and is looking a bit outdated. I still prefer metal buttons on the GX1, and I will be missing the digital level... but the EOS M is so fun to use.

I went from M43 to Next to Eos M. While I love eos M, I often thought about picking up a used GX1 for:
* ultra fast AF
* BUILT-IN "Bounceable" flash - so I carry a bulky external flash
* Olympus 45/1.8 - no one has a portrait lens this small

then again, a 2nd Eos-M is also a good idea. Eos M is so cheap its almost hard too resist buying a second one.

6x9
OP 6x9 Regular Member • Posts: 269
Re: have M, but thinking about buying a used GX1 for m43 fun

007peter wrote:

I am really enjoying the EOS M. Now I have decided to have a different color - Bay Blue (Canon marketing works!).

I went from M43 to Next to Eos M. While I love eos M, I often thought about picking up a used GX1 for:
* ultra fast AF
* BUILT-IN "Bounceable" flash - so I carry a bulky external flash
* Olympus 45/1.8 - no one has a portrait lens this small

then again, a 2nd Eos-M is also a good idea. Eos M is so cheap its almost hard too resist buying a second one.

Yes, having the integrated flash in the GX1 which can be bounced (although this is not an official feature) is great. However, the GX1 starts showing its age - video specs are not in line with many recent cameras, same for the screen. However it is a great camera with excellent controls. I still have both GF5 with 14-42 PZ and Olympus OM-D E-M5 with  12-50 in MFT. The GF5 is an excellent pocketable camera (I use it for work/site surveys), the E-M5 has outstanding image quality and controls (better than the GX1).

EOS M ... it is so much fun to shoot with it, despite the lack of controls and ridiculous image preview zoom implementation. Image quality is excellent, close to the 16 Mpix Sony sensor which is outstanding.

You can still get a brand new GX1 here in Europe for 245 EUR (black), or a kit with 14-42 PZ and viewfinder for about 450 EUR or 20 EUR cheaper for a silver version. Should be cheaper in the US. If you have a chance to buy from Japan, a used GX1 with 14-42 PS is about 25000 Yen (+/- 250 USD)

-- hide signature --

- 6x9 -

Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837
Re: Sold My Panasonic DMC-GX1, Bought Another Canon EOS M Double Kit

Hello neighbour,

Today I have been testing the M for third time and the more usage the more I like it.

Also been looking for Fuji X-E1 and X20 (great controls) but the X-E1 is €700 more with lens and the X20 is €225 more with a smaller sensor.

Like you already said the M is fun to use

Coat pocket friendly and good IQ. Even in Auto results are nice though I forgot to check for auto iso when in full auto.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
6x9
OP 6x9 Regular Member • Posts: 269

Limburger wrote:

Hello neighbour,

Today I have been testing the M for third time and the more usage the more I like it.

Also been looking for Fuji X-E1 and X20 (great controls) but the X-E1 is €700 more with lens and the X20 is €225 more with a smaller sensor.

Like you already said the M is fun to use

Coat pocket friendly and good IQ. Even in Auto results are nice though I forgot to check for auto iso when in full auto.

Goedendag Mike,

The only other camera in this price range is the Pentax K-01 (with 18-15 mm lens), discontinued now. But it is much more bulky. With a Pentax 21 mm lens the set will be in a region of 800 EUR. The M 22 mm is an excellent lens (tests say it is better than the Pentax 21 mm limited). This was the reason I have bought the EOS M double kit.

X20 looks nice indeed, but it has a small sensor, it is just another league. The X-E1 is 800 EUR with 18-55 mm lens and it is bulky. Lenses are rather expensive too. Well, I also do not like how it looks, especially from the back.

The EOS M has one very big advantage to me - the lens choice. The three lenses available (22, 11-22 and 18-15) are great in built and image quality. And Canon EF EF-S lenses can be mounted using an adapter with full functionality being retained. The EOS M with 18-55 mm and a flash is now being sold at 349 EUR (black), and there is currently a 50 EUR cash back from Canon.

-- hide signature --

- 6x9 -

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 6,002

About only thing comparable is Samsung NX1000 with 20-50mm kit lens. The Samsung is a much more finished products with a better interface in several ways.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
I enjoy my EOS-M :-)

Bought $399 EOS-M package from BuyDig several weeks ago.  I love it.  IQ especially with 22/2.0 pancake is very good.  I have some photos taken these days here

Nothing special but a test shot in full size without any cropping that I took in the JFK airport terminal upstair (departure) when I was waiting to pickup my wife downstair (arrival).  I am impressed the IQ from this EF-M 22/2.0 STM on EOS-M.

just a test shot in full size without any cropping

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads