Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Project95 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

If this is Fuji's pro camera then why wouldn't they make it go up too 1/8000 sec shutter speed? Also, do you believe they will increase the max shutter speed to 1/8000 sec on the X-Pro 2?

 Project95's gear list:Project95's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
RhysM Senior Member • Posts: 2,211
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

This is one of my wishes for the X-Pro 2, bit i think there is a big step up in terms of engineering issues introducing a 1/8000 shutter speed in terms of reliability and longevity in a shutter.

Project95 OP Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

Well I believe they have the capability to increase the shutter speed and it'd also be nice to increase the max flash syn speed to 1/250 sec. All of that is doable.

Another question... why not add an internal ND filter like the X100s? Is that possible?

 Project95's gear list:Project95's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Al Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 4,744
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

1/8000 would be welcome, especially when shooting in bright light at or around f/1.4 where a ND or CPL filter may be needed.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Brond1 Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

Is the ND filter in X100 optical or electronic?

In video cameras the ND lives on quite a large assembly that lives behind a protective cover: ie in this order you get:  lens mount, protective glass, ND filter wheel, sensor.  On a 2/3" size professional sensor the protective glass is about the size of a 35mm negative.. ie v big.

That makes me concerned that would not be viable to make such a thing for an APS-C sensor with a very shallow flange back distance. Sadly.

 Brond1's gear list:Brond1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
miniTO Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

The X100 and X100s feature an optical ND filter...

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 17,104
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

Project95 wrote:

Well I believe they have the capability to increase the shutter speed and it'd also be nice to increase the max flash syn speed to 1/250 sec. All of that is doable.

Another question... why not add an internal ND filter like the X100s? Is that possible?

I dont think it can be done with the X-pro1 or EX.  I would like a faster shutter as shooting wide open is an issue in bright light.  I will see how the AF is with a 1 or 2 stop ND.  I may just keep a 1stop handy for outdoor sessions I do.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

Project95 wrote:

If this is Fuji's pro camera then why wouldn't they make it go up too 1/8000 sec shutter speed? Also, do you believe they will increase the max shutter speed to 1/8000 sec on the X-Pro 2?

The XP1 has two strikes against it for bright light shooting.  1/4000 and ISO 200.  I like 1/8000 and ISO 100.

They could fix one or both of those things with the XP2, but who knows if they will or not.

Flash synch speed is related to how fast shutter curtains move, 1/8000 vs 1/4000 just is a measure of how close the trailing curtain follows the leading curtain.  Some Pentax cameras often have flash sync of only 1/180, but still have 1/8000 shutter.

1/8000 shutter is nice, but rarely did it ever get used on my Pentax.  Very specialized case, but nice if shooting f/1.4 in daylight.  Workaround is of course ND filter.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

Brond1 wrote:

Is the ND filter in X100 optical or electronic?

In video cameras the ND lives on quite a large assembly that lives behind a protective cover: ie in this order you get: lens mount, protective glass, ND filter wheel, sensor. On a 2/3" size professional sensor the protective glass is about the size of a 35mm negative.. ie v big.

That makes me concerned that would not be viable to make such a thing for an APS-C sensor with a very shallow flange back distance. Sadly.

Sensor size isn't a problem if the ND filter is next to the leaf shutter in the lens (as in X100/X100s) case, it only needs to be as large as the diaphragm opening.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,273
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

viking79 wrote:

Project95 wrote:

If this is Fuji's pro camera then why wouldn't they make it go up too 1/8000 sec shutter speed? Also, do you believe they will increase the max shutter speed to 1/8000 sec on the X-Pro 2?

The XP1 has two strikes against it for bright light shooting. 1/4000 and ISO 200. I like 1/8000 and ISO 100.

Yep, everyone is excited about the 56/1.2 but I say good luck shooting that lens wide open under the sun without a 3 stop ND filter. I would totally sacrifice high ISO sensitivity for a base ISO of 50.

PenPix Senior Member • Posts: 2,349
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

hellocrowley wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Project95 wrote:

If this is Fuji's pro camera then why wouldn't they make it go up too 1/8000 sec shutter speed? Also, do you believe they will increase the max shutter speed to 1/8000 sec on the X-Pro 2?

The XP1 has two strikes against it for bright light shooting. 1/4000 and ISO 200. I like 1/8000 and ISO 100.

Yep, everyone is excited about the 56/1.2 but I say good luck shooting that lens wide open under the sun without a 3 stop ND filter. I would totally sacrifice high ISO sensitivity for a base ISO of 50.

+1 You still need a ND filter.  It's firmly attached to my 35mm f1.4 when the sun is out.

AlbertInFrance
AlbertInFrance Senior Member • Posts: 5,822
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?
3

A lot of people, me included, want good high ISO performance. As it's much easier to slap on a ND filter when needed than to shoot in low light with a low sensitivity sensor I think the design decision makes itself.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

 AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Bernie Ess Veteran Member • Posts: 7,004
Re: Why only max shutter of 1/4000 sec on X-Pro 1?

a ND filter. It's firmly attached to my 35mm f1.4 when the sun is out.

Does the ND compromise the AF performance?

Thanks

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads