X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions
OP a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,664
Follow up on AF speed and delete button

AF is lighting fast when there is strong vertical contrast in which PDAF can be used.  It is so fast it is practically DSLR fast.  It even works with moderate to low light conditions.  I'm on a bit of an advantage here as the lens I used for testing AF is the 23 1.4, so the sensor is able to get a lot of light even in a dimly lit condition.

In addition, if it has already got focus on the vertical contrast edge, half press the shutter release again does not cause the lens to try and focus again, the AF motor does not move at all.  Haven't seen any camera does that, not even a DSLR.

But when strong vertical contrast is not present, AF speed is like that of the X-E1.  I wish Fuji has horizontal contrast sensitive phase detection pixels in addition to the vertical contrast sensitive ones.  I think it is entirely possible that the next generation sensor with both horizontal and vertical contrast sensitive phase detect pixels will provide DSLR-like AF speed, under all conditions.  It'd be even more interesting if they can expand the PDAF area to cover the entire sensor.  This will allow fast subject tracking anywhere in the scene.

The other day, I managed to delete all photos accidentally with the new delete function.  Fortunately, I've nothing important on there.

If anyone used to the delete function on X-E1, you'd mentally remember the key sequence: Delete->Up arrow->OK.  This is to delete the current displayed frame.  So I was doing the same thing without thinking and it went into Delete All Frames mode.  Then I saw a dialog box, OK/Cancel.  I was thinking why it didn't delete the photo I selected so I pressed Up arrow and OK again without noticing I'm in Delete All Frames mode.  The end result is a wipe out of all photos.

Seriously, Fuji needs to remove this function from the Delete menu.  It is way too dangerous when you're doing something hectic and mentally following the X-E1/X-Pro1 way of photo deletion.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,106
Re: Follow up on AF speed and delete button

"if it has already got focus on the vertical contrast edge, half press the shutter release again does not cause the lens to try and focus again, the AF motor does not move at all. Haven't seen any camera does that, not even a DSLR."

My D700 does that assuming the camera hasn't moved.

How is the XE-2 on AF-C in the following situations:

On a stationary subject will it lock on and completely stop the AF motor? On the OMD the hunting on AF-C on a stationary subject always drove me crazy.

What about if the above subject turns... IOWs the distance not changing but the contrast changes. On the OMD that would cause it to completely loose focus and refocus, not so on my D700.

Thanks,

Shawn

sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,718

a l b e r t wrote:

AF is lighting fast when there is strong vertical contrast in which PDAF can be used. It is so fast it is practically DSLR fast. It even works with moderate to low light conditions. I'm on a bit of an advantage here as the lens I used for testing AF is the 23 1.4, so the sensor is able to get a lot of light even in a dimly lit condition.

In addition, if it has already got focus on the vertical contrast edge, half press the shutter release again does not cause the lens to try and focus again, the AF motor does not move at all. Haven't seen any camera does that, not even a DSLR.

But when strong vertical contrast is not present, AF speed is like that of the X-E1. I wish Fuji has horizontal contrast sensitive phase detection pixels in addition to the vertical contrast sensitive ones. I think it is entirely possible that the next generation sensor with both horizontal and vertical contrast sensitive phase detect pixels will provide DSLR-like AF speed, under all conditions. It'd be even more interesting if they can expand the PDAF area to cover the entire sensor. This will allow fast subject tracking anywhere in the scene.

Albert - I would say it's not as fast (clearly CDAF only has engaged) but it's still faster than the X-E1. That's consistent with a faster processor being used in camera for CDAF. By way of verification, my 18mm XF and 32mm Touit are both faster to focus (on both vertical and horizontal contrast), but only incrementally so. When you use a lens which has PDAF functional you notice it right away. It's still pretty amazing though, particularly for shots of people.

The other day, I managed to delete all photos accidentally with the new delete function. Fortunately, I've nothing important on there.

If anyone used to the delete function on X-E1, you'd mentally remember the key sequence: Delete->Up arrow->OK. This is to delete the current displayed frame. So I was doing the same thing without thinking and it went into Delete All Frames mode. Then I saw a dialog box, OK/Cancel. I was thinking why it didn't delete the photo I selected so I pressed Up arrow and OK again without noticing I'm in Delete All Frames mode. The end result is a wipe out of all photos.

Seriously, Fuji needs to remove this function from the Delete menu. It is way too dangerous when you're doing something hectic and mentally following the X-E1/X-Pro1 way of photo deletion.

In fairness, the Leica M240 is identical in this regard, though I think I agree it would make more sense for it to be a main menu item.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
OP a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

Shawn67 wrote:

"if it has already got focus on the vertical contrast edge, half press the shutter release again does not cause the lens to try and focus again, the AF motor does not move at all. Haven't seen any camera does that, not even a DSLR."

My D700 does that assuming the camera hasn't moved.

How is the XE-2 on AF-C in the following situations:

On a stationary subject will it lock on and completely stop the AF motor? On the OMD the hunting on AF-C on a stationary subject always drove me crazy.

What about if the above subject turns... IOWs the distance not changing but the contrast changes. On the OMD that would cause it to completely loose focus and refocus, not so on my D700.

Thanks,

Shawn

Ok, just tested this on my D3s.  Yes, it also doesn't move the AF motor when it detects a strong vertical contrast.  But if I repeatedly half press the shutter release button, sometimes it'll move the AF motor a tiny bit.  Now, looking at the X-E2, it also behaves the same way.

Now if I put the X-E2 on AF-C and half press the shutter, it'll lock on to the stationary subject and will not move the focus.  BUT, I hear a grinding noise from the lens' AF motor, as if an image stabilizer is turned on.  I think it is making micro adjustments, but for sure the lens does not hunt.  This is tested with XF23.

Finally, I pointed the X-E2 to a video on my computer screen.  In AF-C mode, it is acting like the last scenario, the AF motor grinds as it makes micro adjustments.  However, it doesn't hunt back and forth, only micro adjust until it finds the focus. But this process can take a bit time before it finds the focus again.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 22,038
Re: ISO 6400 image problems?

barba wrote:

How about pics @ ISO 6400, are they usable?

I'm worried after reading this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3573583

It seems to be quite some problems with skintones in specific. Have you guys who own the X-E2 experienced anything like that?

You are worried about skintones at iso 6400?  Really?

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 22,038
Re: no problems with anything other than the internet...

sgoldswo wrote:

barba wrote:

It seems to be quite some problems with skintones in specific. Have you guys who own the X-E2 experienced anything like that?

I haven't seen the kind of effects referenced in the other thread at all, I've been incredibly impressed by the image quality from the camera which is peerless at an APS-C sensor size, but LR 5.3 RC produces screwy skin tones with RAW files from the E-M1 and E-P5 too so anything is possible.

In honesty, there is always this kind of noise around a major camera release. Mud gets thrown. Some of it sticks. This doesn't strike me as anything other than an issue with a beta version of LR

I agree.  People complaining about seeing noise at 25,000 iso need a reality check.  I routinely worked on wedding photos from reception at 6400 iso from a 7D....and the Fuji is far, far better.  That said, I never have had anyone complain about noise or grain in a photo.....not during my entire 23 years photographing weddings.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
Graham Hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,355

a l b e r t wrote:

AF is lighting fast when there is strong vertical contrast in which PDAF can be used. It is so fast it is practically DSLR fast. It even works with moderate to low light conditions. I'm on a bit of an advantage here as the lens I used for testing AF is the 23 1.4, so the sensor is able to get a lot of light even in a dimly lit condition.

In addition, if it has already got focus on the vertical contrast edge, half press the shutter release again does not cause the lens to try and focus again, the AF motor does not move at all. Haven't seen any camera does that, not even a DSLR.

Every DSLR I have ever owned has done this, including an entry level Canon Rebel.

But when strong vertical contrast is not present, AF speed is like that of the X-E1. I wish Fuji has horizontal contrast sensitive phase detection pixels in addition to the vertical contrast sensitive ones. I think it is entirely possible that the next generation sensor with both horizontal and vertical contrast sensitive phase detect pixels will provide DSLR-like AF speed, under all conditions. It'd be even more interesting if they can expand the PDAF area to cover the entire sensor. This will allow fast subject tracking anywhere in the scene.

The other day, I managed to delete all photos accidentally with the new delete function. Fortunately, I've nothing important on there.

If anyone used to the delete function on X-E1, you'd mentally remember the key sequence: Delete->Up arrow->OK. This is to delete the current displayed frame. So I was doing the same thing without thinking and it went into Delete All Frames mode. Then I saw a dialog box, OK/Cancel. I was thinking why it didn't delete the photo I selected so I pressed Up arrow and OK again without noticing I'm in Delete All Frames mode. The end result is a wipe out of all photos.

Seriously, Fuji needs to remove this function from the Delete menu. It is way too dangerous when you're doing something hectic and mentally following the X-E1/X-Pro1 way of photo deletion.

Wow, that's an amazing error by Fujifilm.  You should post this information in a new thread.  A lot of people might miss this important information that you have found.

HDR junkie
HDR junkie Regular Member • Posts: 109

a l b e r t wrote:

===8<--- The other day, I managed to delete all photos accidentally with the new delete function. Fortunately, I've nothing important on there.

===8<---

If this happens again, remove the SD-card. As long as you don’t take a photo after the deleting it's possible to recreate the deleted images. I made the same mistake and unfortunately (first time) took new photos after deletion, they could not be recreated ...

Mats

HDR junkie's gear list:HDR junkie's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
barba
barba Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: ISO 6400 image problems?

Dave Luttmann wrote:

barba wrote:

You are worried about skintones at iso 6400? Really?

It got me thinking about the image quality in general. I've never used ISO 6400 on any of my past cameras. I'm new to Fuji and about to pull the trigger on the X-E2. Just want all the cards on the table to prevent buying the wrong camera. But no, it's not a problem it seems and I will probably not be using ISO 6400 anyway.

Pär

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS LG G4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads